Cale Hooker

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately gathering #1 picks and no doubt priority picks. It will turn out to be the best thing ever for the club. It will set them up for a dynasty like the hawks have had\having.
I doubt it tbh. At full strength they'd miss the eight there's no doubt, as it stands they'll finish bottom 2-3, most likely last. Having said that, I can't see Heppell, Hibberd and a few others leaving tbh. The only ones that will leave will be those close to retirement and one or two others (hopefully Hooker). They'll be bottom four for a while but if Melbourne, Carlton, Brisbane weren't successful applying for priority picks (Essendon won't be any worse) I doubt Essendon will and the AFL won't exactly be lenient either...

Unfortunately gathering #1 picks and no doubt priority picks. It will turn out to be the best thing ever for the club. It will set them up for a dynasty like the hawks have had\having.

Hasn't worked for Melbourne and Carlton. Jury is out on GWS / Gold Coast.

No point in having a raft of early picks if you can't develop them.

Last edited:

#1 yes but they won't be getting any priority picks.

Theres still benefits bestowed upon them for their crimes. Also theres the future "Cam McCarthys" that are taken ahead of us.

Call me cynical but I can see priority picks given.

Theres still benefits bestowed upon them for their crimes. Also theres the future "Cam McCarthys" that are taken ahead of us.

Call me cynical but I can see priority picks given.
Zero chance IMO re: priority pick. S*#t teams like Brisbane and Carlton got denied. No chance for Essendon. I doubt they'd even ask. Essendon may not win many games but they will have a host of first 22 players return for 2017. They brought this damage on themselves.

How many pick ones do Hawthorn have on their list?

And how many do Carlton?

Culture is what matters when it comes to developing potential. Obviously Essendon's is a bit... putrid.

What with No Money as I understand he doesn't get paid whilst suspended but I could be wrong.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-12/eight-burning-questions-about-the-essendon-34

Can the banned Essendon players be paid?Essendon has made a commitment to pay the 12 players remaining on its list, but the exact terms of this will be negotiated with the AFL Players Association. The AFLPA suggested on Tuesday it was keen to reach a financial settlement for the players, rather than engage in a court battle. A settlement would likely include compensation for the players to account for damages to their careers, as well as contractual commitments.

How many pick ones do Hawthorn have on their list?

And how many do Carlton?

Culture is what matters when it comes to developing potential. Obviously Essendon's is a bit... putrid.

lol
chosen%20ones%20lithograph-600x600.jpg

This really is the big one. From WA, freo supporting family and has just been banned for 12 months due to his club's wrongdoing. West Coast shouldn't be involved so we should be able to get him. It's us or a Victorian club I'd say. He's also the best key defender ever to be a free agent. Imagine getting him for nothing then getting a young key forward such as McCarthy as well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be buggered if I'm paying for the Hun. What does it say?

For some reason I was able to get through the paywall

BANNED Essendon defender Cale Hooker has emerged as one of this year’s top free agency targets as rivals prepare to swoop on the gun Bomber.

Last year’s best and fairest winner is poised to defer talks on a new contract this season after he was one of the 34 past and present Essendon players banned for doping.

The Herald Sun understands the Bombers are prepared to offer each of the 12 current players an extra year on their deals because of the WADA suspensions.

While all of the banned Essendon players could leave the club at season’s end as a delisted free agent due to the crippling supplement scandal regardless of their contract status, Hooker, 27, has attracted strong early interest.

Fremantle has already been linked to the 196cm restricted free agent in his 9th year at the club, who could return home to Western Australia during his AFL exile as he weighs up his football future.

The rest of it is just basically fluff about Essendon's situation. It does say that they are confident they will keep him, but the article doesn't have any quotes from anyone.

Imagine if we walks to us for nothing and we could then devote our resources to snaring one of McCarthy or Hogan. If we keep developing with the new coaches, as the highly-skilled new players develop, as we move into the new facilities...

Imagine if we walks to us for nothing and we could then devote our resources to snaring one of McCarthy or Hogan. If we keep developing with the new coaches, as the highly-skilled new players develop, as we move into the new facilities...

No chance Essendon let him go for nothing.

As a delisted free agent Essendon have no say in the matter. They cannot match another bid to keep him. If Hooker wants to leave he can and Essendon can do absolutely nothing about it.

It is entirely Hookers decision.

Are they delisted? I thought they would be restricted.

Which part of delisted free agent don't people understand?

He goes wherever he wants.

Essendon gets NOTHING.

The club that gets Hooker gives up NOTHING.

There is NO matching or compo involve.

Yes Essendon will be FU.CKED

Last edited:
As a delisted free agent Essendon have no say in the matter. They cannot match another bid to keep him. If Hooker wants to leave he can and Essendon can do absolutely nothing about it.

It is entirely Hookers decision.

Yes, but it's a little more complicated than that.
He'll need to nominate for PSD, and risk any team with a higher pick than us picking him up (I assumed there is a good chance if it comes to that).
So, the safer way is to work a trade with Essendon directly, especially if we end up top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back