Past Callum Sinclair - retired 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

ZslCYQFE.jpg

Callum Sinclair

Player Profile

Callum Sinclair was traded from the West Coast Eagles to the Sydney Swans ahead of season 2016 and has since played vital roles as a key forward and ruckman. Over his first two seasons at the Swans he played primarily as a forward as Kurt Tippett and Sam Naismith carried the ruck load, but the retirement of Tippett and Naismith’s ACL rupture left him with the chief ruck duties in 2018 and 2019. That was until he dislocated his right shoulder twice in Round 15, an injury that ended his season. Sinclair banked a stellar 2020 pre-season campaign and has a burning desire to play every game at the top level this year. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (West Coast) No. 12; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (West Coast); 2015 AFL Draft traded by West Coast for Lewis Jetta.

Callum Sinclair

DOB: 23 September 1989
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Port Melb (VFL)/Subiaco (WAFL)/WCE

Last edited:
Who was the Geelong ruckman in rounds 5, 10, 12, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23?

Dawson Simpson played 16 games in the AFL or VFL (plus 2 VFL byes), he was fit almost all of the year and they didn't pick him. Blicavs was #1 ruck for over half the year.

Because they had no ruckman and Simpson is hopeless, not afl level... Vardy/Stanley were out most of the year and Blicavs moved to the mids.

If all your ruckman were injured, or couldn't play at AFL level, you would get a first 22 to play there.like we did with Tippett and play him in the ruck (though he is a better ruckman then forward).

Blicavs can play ruck, Fyfe can play forward. Doesn't mean it's their best positions.

Blicavs is a mid, but they needed a ruck without other ruckman available in their first 22 players.

I watch a lot of AFL mate. Blicavs is better as a mid/2nd up. get the Geelong board to prove me wrong and I'll put anything legal as my avatar.

No risk to you. That's how much I think you are wrong. I watch games, not crunch numbers.

Blicavs is better as a mid/2nd up.
This is a different argument. I said quite early on Blicavs isn't good as a tap ruckman and is better elsewhere.

This started with
Blicavs was playing as a midfielder, not a ruckman. Similar to goodes after he stopped rucking.
He didn't stop rucking, he actually did more of it from r11-23 than r1-10. The whole "argument" started because I said Geelong were looking for a real tap ruckman even though Blicavs had been playing there as a mobile ruck for most of this year, which he had been.

Sf51 and Schmidt please keep us entertained its more interesting than trade period.
We will sus out WHO watches more football!!:thumbsu:
Why are you people derailing my and Schmidt2003 's miscellaneous rant thread?

Anyway we have all just agreed that Tom Derickx is s**t, bringing the thread back to the topic of welcoming a new ruckman who is less s**t than Tom Derickx. See RW, no need to move any posts :thumbsu:

You have got yourself a good player with a wonderful work ethic.
He is a big strong bugger that is a lot more mobile and agile than most ruckmen, I see him as a forward who can ruck and he doesn't mind throwing his weight around. He is very team focused a great Clubman.

Sinkers has had to do it the hard way and endure the many disappointment of being passed over in several successive Drafts.
In a discussion with Gerard Healy he mentioned that the Club that had shown most interest in him was WC, but they still had not drafted him.
Healy suggested that he head West to play under the noses of WC as they do spend a lot of time watching the WAFL.

In a leap of faith Sinkers took the advise and headed West to play with Subiaco.
The next season he was rookie listed by WC , on a side note Fremantle were also very interested.
He worked his arse off and got an upgrade after his first season on the WC rookie list.

Here is the thing he has improved by about 10% every year that he has been in the West , to the point that he became a very valuable and important piece in our rise up the ladder this year.

Many of our fans are really sorry to see him leave but we also don't begrudge him taking a significant pay rise and a 4 year deal.

I think he has a lot more development left in him and so do a lot down at the Eagles.
As a Club WC have a very good eye for spotting and developing ruckmen so the fact that he was so highly rated by the WC staff should be a good omen for you guys going forward.

Despite all the crap talk about about who ripped who off, who won the trade bullshit , I happen to think it was a pretty fair trade given the respective status of both players contracts.

Whilst I would have rather kept Sinkers , you have to give something up to get something that you want, thats how trading works.

I for one wish nothing but the very best for him as he was one of my favourite Eagles , maybe thats because I love the way he never let up on achieving he dream of making it in the AFL and when he got his opportunity he grabbed it with both hands and never let it go.

Our two Clubs traded fairly and with respect and dignity as they always do , both Clubs are known for and regarded as fair traders.

All the best for the rest of the trade period as I am sure you will have more business to complete this next week.

Cheers.

He is a big strong bugger that is a lot more mobile and agile than most ruckmen, I see him as a forward who can ruck and he doesn't mind throwing his weight around. He is very team focused a great Clubman.

Sinkers has had to do it the hard way and endure the many disappointment of being passed over in several successive Drafts.
In a discussion with Gerard Healy he mentioned that the Club that had shown most interest in him was WC, but they still had not drafted him.
Healy suggested that he head West to play under the noses of WC as they do spend a lot of time watching the WAFL.

In a leap of faith Sinkers took the advise and headed West to play with Subiaco.
The next season he was rookie listed by WC , on a side note Fremantle were also very interested.
He worked his arse off and got an upgrade after his first season on the WC rookie list.

Here is the thing he has improved by about 10% every year that he has been in the West , to the point that he became a very valuable and important piece in our rise up the ladder this year.

Many of our fans are really sorry to see him leave but we also don't begrudge him taking a significant pay rise and a 4 year deal.

I think he has a lot more development left in him and so do a lot down at the Eagles.
As a Club WC have a very good eye for spotting and developing ruckmen so the fact that he was so highly rated by the WC staff should be a good omen for you guys going forward.

Despite all the crap talk about about who ripped who off, who won the trade bullshit , I happen to think it was a pretty fair trade given the respective status of both players contracts.

Whilst I would have rather kept Sinkers , you have to give something up to get something that you want, thats how trading works.

I for one wish nothing but the very best for him as he was one of my favourite Eagles , maybe thats because I love the way he never let up on achieving he dream of making it in the AFL and when he got his opportunity he grabbed it with both hands and never let it go.

Our two Clubs traded fairly and with respect and dignity as they always do , both Clubs are known for and regarded as fair traders.

All the best for the rest of the trade period as I am sure you will have more business to complete this next week.

Cheers.
Can someone forward this comment to the Hawks board - a nice example of sportsmanship - not sure they would have heard that word before.

Cheers.

Great stuff, Monocle. Thanks. I agree it's a win/win. Our ridiculous trade restrictions means every move we make has to work, so we all have an eye on the entire listbuild with every trade. We really can't afford to recruit someone who isn't committed.

That little link with Healy was interesting.

He sounds like Pyke mark II in the determination stakes. He and Kirky would have a lot in common, too.

Sydney genuinely rewards players with heart. We'll look after him. I'm really quite excited now.

Quite happy with this trade. Sinclair, a Victorian, is now closer to home.

He looks mobile, and can take a contested grab. Over at WCE, he was schooled in the ruck by Dean Cox.

For WCE sake, I hope it turns out to be one of those Win - Win deals.

Quite happy with this trade. Sinclair, a Victorian, is now closer to home.

He looks mobile, and can take a contested grab. Over at WCE, he was schooled in the ruck by Dean Cox.

For WCE sake, I hope it turns out to be one of those Win - Win deals.
Nah I hope Jetta stinks, nothing personal its just we need all the help we can get beating WC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if Healy recommended him to The Swans some time ago and they've had an eye on him since.

Did he get dropped for any of his poor form this year or has his bad year been exaggerated? I'm sure Sydney would be one of the first clubs to bench a player if they weren't meeting the coaches standards.

He had a bad year this year? :confused:

I reckon he could become a gun chf rotating in the ruck.

I Think its worth your while having tippet as your full time ruck and sinkers at chf - i liked tippet in the ruck

Also once you figure out that he looks like brienne of tarth you will never unsee it

He does look well curdled

Remove this Banner Ad

Back