Remove this Banner Ad

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
So all of the news media has stated that Mick Malthouse has been sacked and a caretaker has been appointed. The Age is suggesting it will be Barker, but that is not yet official.

Regardless of who the new caretaker coach is, what would you like to see them do as coach?

Suggestions on player movements around the ground. Who should we be playing? What should we do for the game plan? etc etc etc

Barker? No thanks. Laidley has the most senior experience. Interesting when Jezza was appointed, the first game was against Sydney at the SCG. Believe that was the famous Rhys-Jones vs. Williams game.

What I don't like about the caretaker coach situation is that it will mean more uncertainty and a new gameplan for the players to follow who already looked confused out there. Then at years end when another coach comes in it will be yet another gameplan to learn and adapt to. This is all a bit of a mess. If it was Round 15 I would suggest a caretaker but only 8 rounds in we need to be starting the interview process asap to get the right coach in as soon as possible, probably during the bye round.

As for what I want to see, hopefully some fast footy with players taking the game on. On defence I would like to see the players attack the man rather than guarding space so that teams can't move the ball from one end to the other without us touching it. Opposition forward lines always have paddocks of space leaving our defenders no chance.

Barker??

qNdHto.gif

What I don't like about the caretaker coach situation is that it will mean more uncertainty and a new gameplan for the players to follow who already looked confused out there. Then at years end when another coach comes in it will be yet another gameplan to learn and adapt to. This is all a bit of a mess. If it was Round 15 I would suggest a caretaker but only 8 rounds in we need to be starting the interview process asap to get the right coach in as soon as possible, probably during the bye round.

As for what I want to see, hopefully some fast footy with players taking the game on. On defence I would like to see the players attack the man rather than guarding space so that teams can't move the ball from one end to the other without us touching it. Opposition forward lines always have paddocks of space leaving our defenders no chance.

I just dont see how this is possible during the season. How many prospective AFL senior coaches are currently not a coach at an AFL club?
I highly doubt Sydney will entertain the idea of us interviewing then poaching Stuart Dew halfway through a season.

i agree with the sentiment, now sure logistically how it would work tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just dont see how this is possible during the season. How many prospective AFL senior coaches are currently not a coach at an AFL club?
I highly doubt Sydney will entertain the idea of us interviewing then poaching Stuart Dew halfway through a season.

i agree with the sentiment, now sure logistically how it would work tho.

Yeah you are spot on about that. I'm not sure how it could happen feasibly but surely a club (say Sydney) would allow an assistant to move on if it was for a head coaching position. It will get messy though because that would severely impact their club preparations this year too. I can see a heap of anger being directed at Carlton if something like this unfolds. Maybe we interview prospective coaches in the round they have the bye (Bolton in 11, Dew in 12, etc.)?

Is it possible the negative perception of John Barker is unfair?
Where does it come from, aside from the fact he talks like he's stoned when interviewed

I believe he is one of a small group of ACs who has the designated credentials to be a HC in the future and so the AFL would, in some respect at least, advocate him for serious consideration

Granted as a line coach his 'section' of the team hasn't performed this year, but then don't we all agree we lack the cattle ?

Where does it come from, aside from the fact he talks like he's stoned when interviewed

I believe he is one of a small group of ACs who has the designated credentials to be a HC in the future and so the AFL would, in some respect at least, advocate him for serious consideration

Granted as a line coach his 'section' of the team hasn't performed this year, but then don't we all agree we lack the cattle ?

Not just this year, i cant recall a season when his line was functional. Not to mention the fact that Hawthorn took off as soon as th ey got rid of him.

Agree - seriously what is all this angst about Barker and seriously who gives a *.

He is a 'caretaker' coach !! He will do as he is told, hopefully play the kids is a sustained run of games.

What do people think - Alistair Clarkson is going to come in now and coach 16 games ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back