News John Barker - set to remain at Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

We also play Melbourne on August 23, I would have thought we are a chance of winning that one.
That's the Judd send off. Might fly over for it I think. As much because we might win as a chance to wave goodbye to the great man.

And no doubt this individual was one of the same people who supported the appointment of Malthouse and the sacking of 2 other assistant coaches costing the club collectively over $2m. He is probably still professing it was the "right call" despite all evidence suggesting it has it has set our club back 3 years. These people only care about their own reputation and are more than willing sacrifice the future of the club, just so long as they can say "see, I was right"

I agree.

For memory Rattens only previous coaching experience was at the really low leagues and then a stint at a struggling Melbourne for a few years?

The difference is Ratten seemed to be appointed more on his connections at the club and being a 'favourite son', while Barker actually has several years in the coaching business at 3 different clubs (2 successful) and is in that AFL level 4 program or whatever.

Possibly.

But it looked to me as though Ratten had his detractors from day one at the club who would pounce as soon as they could.

As it turned out Ratten may not have been the best guy for the job, but he killed MM's record.

My fear is if Barker, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't have all the chequebooks lined up behind him, is dead before he gets the job.

I too think Barker appears to be doing a decent job currently but we just need to be really careful about this.

I'm sure it's been stated before but we need to heed cautionary examples such as Port Adelaide 2010 here. In that year, Mark Williams left after 8 straight losses and Primus took over as caretaker coach. He steered the ship seemingly in the right direction, winning 5 of the next 7 games and winning plaudits from players, coaching staff and administrators. Based on this, Port abandoned their intentions to search for the right person from outside the club and went with Primus. He went on to win 3 games in his first season as coach-proper, and was sacked midway through his second with the club in an absolute mess.

I doubt anyone would suggest that Primus was entirely responsible for Port's issues at the time, however he clearly wasn't the right person long-term for that role. I think Barker possibly has more going for him here, having had multiple assistant roles at different clubs, some of them quite successful.

Clubs are complex beasts, there are many reasons why things can turn around. We cannot afford to get this decision wrong and I hope we leave no stone unturned and do every piece of possible due diligence in every possible area here. Personally, I would probably be more comfortable with a well thought-out decision to bring in someone from the outside rather than going with a caretaker, even a successful one as results here have been shown to be short-term red herrings on more than one occasion.

Did Port 'abandon' their search for a coach outside the club? That there is your key difference. Our committee will still at least interview and assess other candidates no matter how well we do but if Barker fits the criteria and is appointed then great.

Also, as you said Barker has much more experience currently than Primus did when he got the top job. Barker has coached for several years at 3 different clubs, 2 of those successful and under good coaches in Clarkson and Lyon. He has also done the AFL level 4 course. Primus had only ever been assistant at PA under Williams.

Also, Primus won 5 of 7 games in his caretaker year, Barker has 11 or so games to be judged on.

It would be interesting to know if Primus made any inspired tactical and game plan changes, or if it was just increased player effort that caused the turnaround. Under Barker we have already seen quite a few tactical changes like Simmo dropping loose in defence, Everitt forward, Murphy on the wing, our general run and carry + possession game etc.

Theres always been some cases of successful caretaker coaches who get the full time role.

He is the only one on our list who wanted to step up to the plate after we sacked Mick... Laidley has said he doesnt want another senior gig and Wiley isnt interested either. And Barker is one of the 9 who has done the AFL coaching certification course.

He is proving to be a better senior coach than he is a line coach... he was in charge of Casboult for 3 years... why didnt Cas improve like he has in the 6 or so weeks that he has working with Sav? Why did the St Kilda and Hawthorn forward lines improve dramatically after his departure?
Incorrect, there were two candidates in Laidley and Barker- they opted for Barker.

While I'm wary of the "Unleash The Giesch" effect, I like what I see so far. Cool and collected in the box is a good sign. The world's being crushed by rampant credentialism - does it really matter if Barker hasn't completed a coaching course? I don't remember Norm Smith finishing one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#foreverfreo

In all honesty it's probably to find out what Ross thinks of Simon Lloyd.

They just showed a short interview with Ross on Channel Ten, basically said he was asked what coaching at the top level involves. Said he's definitely not leaving Freo and was offended by the question.

Possibly.

But it looked to me as though Ratten had his detractors from day one at the club who would pounce as soon as they could.

As it turned out Ratten may not have been the best guy for the job, but he killed MM's record.

My fear is if Barker, or anyone else for that matter, doesn't have all the chequebooks lined up behind him, is dead before he gets the job.
This is my fear.

I'm worried he will have 0 respect from a lot of our supporters. We already have supporters who thought he was a crap assistant coach.

A fair few will be ready to pounce.

And I can just see it already, after he has one year of under performing there will be people sayin: "I knew it, they fell for the caretaker coach John Barker, typical Carlton, rah rah rah".

Jacqui Reed ‏@JacquiAReed 16m16 minutes ago

Ross Lyon met with Ken Sheldon today. Says he wasn't asked to coach Carlton, was just asked his advice on the type of person they shld chase

Sheldon - "Ross - what type of person should Carlton be looking for as coach ? "

Ross - " $2mil a year for 5 years .....ah....ummm....sorry Kenny, force of habit. "

Not sure if this article been posted but i love what i read about the JB, we may have a good one here in our own back yard:D:D:D

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-caretaker-coach/story-fnp04d70-1227417973943

Chris Yarran had been late to a team meeting ahead of John Barker’s first game as Blues caretaker coach and the new man in charge orders the entire squad to the early morning session earlier this month.
But it is one-in, all-in, and for Barker, that means the coach is taking the plunge as well.

Those close to the Hawks insist Barker played a role in helping to shape the likes of Jarryd Roughead and Lance Franklin in their early years — on and off the field.
And it was that ability to relate to people, a sound intellect as well as a feel for the modern game, that saw Lyon approach him to become an assistant coach at St Kilda, and it would lead to stints at Hawthorn under Clarkson, and also led him to Carlton under Brett Ratten and Malthouse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back