Caroline Wilson - good journo or glorified gossip columnist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Slippery Pete

Samcro24’s shape keeper
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know her focus is mainly the politics inside football clubs, but do her views sometimes comes across a touch gossipy? I don't mind some of her stuff, but I rarely hear her touch on the actual football side of things. I think the jury is still out on her total knowledge of the game, other than being "in the know" about football department issues.

Yes, she's obviously a gossip columnist. Her stories would be better off in Womans Day where the readers might actually care about her s**t stirring. It is pretty funny the amount of rage she creates in the North supporters though.

Yes, she's obviously a gossip columnist. Her stories would be better off in Womans Day where the readers might actually care about her s**t stirring. It is pretty funny the amount of rage she creates in the North supporters though.
Yeah, funny why we would worry about someone with a prominent position in the media trying to undermine our club at every opportunity, with little concern for the facts.

Actually, I recall a few Pies fans getting annoyed at some of her efforts to embarrass Eddie, and to talk up a supposed rift between Mick and Nathan.

Fiction writer with an obsession for unsubstantiated gossip, and when it isnt there perfectly happy to provide her own...after all as she said its all about getting the readers.

She has a shocking personal vendetta against James Brayshaw and the North Melbourne Football Club. She also dislikes Ben Cousins and Jeff Kennett.

She gets pissed off at people who lie to her.
Eddie fed her the West Sydney Celtics story, she's still going off at him.

Problem is most of her leaks & sources have dried up or turned against her recently.

I still think she can be good value and her constant needling of North is quite a laff.

Some days she's a good journo with a real story, others she's a gossip columnist struggling for something to say.

Footballers have good and bad days, she's no different.

she seems to follow the mantra of "If I keep saying it, it must be true"

was watch footy classified on Monday night when Hutchy pointed out the she was wrong about North and travelling Kangaroos statement she was barking on about. She just couldn't copy with being wrong and just ploughed on with her monotone drivel.

I hate when people don't have the decency to admit when they're wrong

I'd love any Pro-Caro people to fish out at least 3 articles in the last 5 years specifically writing about a football match.
I forget the player in question, but I recall her bagging the Dogs a few years back for recruiting a certain player to fill a role in the ruck......trouble was, he never ever played in that position. I think she has studiously avoided commenting on any actual football matters ever since.

I'd love any Pro-Caro people to fish out at least 3 articles in the last 5 years specifically writing about a football match.
Why though? That's not her job?

was watch footy classified on Monday night when Hutchy pointed out the she was wrong about North and travelling Kangaroos statement she was barking on about. She just couldn't copy with being wrong and just ploughed on with her monotone drivel.

she was the same with Cousins. Said he had an alcohol problem, and the club had raised it as a concern with him.

Gale tells her to her face that they have never specifically counselled cousins on alcohol (have done to the playing group as a whole), and they did not think he had a drinking problem.

she then says "we agree to disagree", and spends the next six months pretty much alluding to him being an alco.

as for her source....the good old "I know"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why though? That's not her job?

Don't you think the "Chief Football Writer" should have the ability to talk about...well...you know.....football?

This. It was hilarious. After being shown footage of Brayshaw saying that interstate games may be a possibility, she still went on and on about how they said they would never do it. She was clearly wrong but refused to admit it. :rolleyes:

It'd be a pleasant change if anyone in the Herald Sun wrote anything in the least bit compelling or interesting; but they just don't and I don't expect that.

She writes big-picture stuff, always has & always will.
You want to find out who had a good game etc, read one of the other journoes. You want to find out who's back-stabbing who & why, Caro may come up with something.

This. It was hilarious. After being shown footage of Brayshaw saying that interstate games may be a possibility, she still went on and on about how they said they would never do it. She was clearly wrong but refused to admit it. :rolleyes:

yeah, and this was really bad tv for her, Lyon re-states the position Hutchy as putting forward, hard evidence FFS

it's like she almost has no humility, gives journalism a bad name

I remeber about Rd 6 this year, she made a big song and dance on 3AW about how Richmond needed the priority pick and that the AFL should change the rules for this year as a matter of urgency.

I think she had Gale on at the time and she was trying to get him to agree with her but he wouldn't have it, saying that they weren't as bad as people thought. And besides they wanted to fight their own battles and do it their way.

Thats the problem with people like Wilson and Walls. They just react to whats happening NOW and are too lazy to look for reasons why or to look forward.

They would make very poor CEO's.

Don't you think the "Chief Football Writer" should have the ability to talk about...well...you know.....football?

It is true, Mike Sheehan, CFW of the HUN never writes game reports or about actual matches (or rarely) but does more opinion pieces, interviews and whole of game stuff.

Caro is struggling at the moment. Norths issues, Essendon stuff wrong, other errors creeping in. Seems to be going backwards for mine.

Strange, when she actually tries, she can actually do some good work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back