Caroline Wilson - good journo or glorified gossip columnist?

Remove this Banner Ad

honestly, I dont give a flying f**k who is backstabbing who in the boardroom, like it matters, supporters care about coaches, and players and winning games, caroline wilson just doesnt gives a toss about the actual sport.

caroline could write about all the s**t happenining behind the boardroom doors if collingwood won a premiership, i doubt I would care..

"oh wow, so and so is contesting the presidency" "oh no we might play home games somewehre else" who cares we're premiers like that even ****ing matters

she has nothing worth while to contribute to football other then gossip

Let's face it though - all you guys saying Caro should write about actual football would be the first to tell her to butt out if she actually did start doing that. You would say that she's a woman with no experience with the actual game. She ended up in footy rumours and politics for a reason - that's one of the few avenues for a woman to develop a career in footy. Look at how warmly the female caller experiment has been received.

Let's face it though - all you guys saying Caro should write about actual football would be the first to tell her to butt out if she actually did start doing that. You would say that she's a woman with no experience with the actual game. She ended up in footy rumours and politics for a reason - that's one of the few avenues for a woman to develop a career in footy. Look at how warmly the female caller experiment has been received.

There's a hell of a lot of journos that don't have top level AFL playing experience.

Not that I rate Sam Lane as a journo, but at least she talks about FOOTBALL. Ditto Mike Sheehan.

There's a hell of a lot of journos that don't have top level AFL playing experience.

Not that I rate Sam Lane as a journo, but at least she talks about FOOTBALL. Ditto Mike Sheehan.

Quite true. I have never thought you need to be a player to analyse the game. I just think the retort to Caro's leanings being, "she should write about the actual game", is disingenuous. Nobody wants her to go in that direction. If you hate her now, you'd hate her even more if she started talking about the game. Her niche is gossip and politics related to the game. She is fair game for criticism in the way she does that job - and she should be judged that way. Suggesting she should be doing a different job is just skirting the issue people have with her - namely her accuracy.

honestly, I dont give a flying f**k who is backstabbing who in the boardroom, like it matters, supporters care about coaches, and players and winning games, caroline wilson just doesnt gives a toss about the actual sport.

caroline could write about all the s**t happenining behind the boardroom doors if collingwood won a premiership, i doubt I would care..

"oh wow, so and so is contesting the presidency" "oh no we might play home games somewehre else" who cares we're premiers like that even ****ing matters

Absolutely spot on, she brings nothing to the table that resembles interesting or worthwhile information, couldnt care less about the behind the scenes type stuff, if its not affecting the players on the ground and the coaches in the box that what is the point of making a song and dance about it? The fact that on footy classified they keep refering her as "The first lady of Football" is quite amusing. The Age should put her to good use and send her to woman's weekly or No idea, than maybe she may get some people actually interested in what she has to say or write.

I cringe at the 'generalisms' she constantly splutters out. The most common would have to be:

'senior people at <insert club name here> are certainly not happy with the direction the club is heading and are starting to make noises'

For once it would be nice for her to name who the senior people were, what exactly is being said and actually include some quotes in her pieces.

For once it would be nice for her to name who the senior people were, what exactly is being said and actually include some quotes in her pieces.

Anybody who expects her or any other journalist to name sources that don't want to be on the record is in la la land.

You sound as though you have a similar outlook to myself. Frankly, I couldn't give a stuff about what's happening off the field, my interest in football is what is taking place ON the field, and anyone who cannot contribute to that is simply wasting my time.

Someone once said, "No matter what has happened in a day, there is always 30 minutes of news". Football journalists subscribe to this theory. If it's a slow day they'll either make something up, or try to turn an insignicant event into the crime of the century.

Don't you think the "Chief Football Writer" should have the ability to talk about...well...you know.....football?

Micahelangelo Rucci (chief football 'writer' for The Advertiser) has never had the ability to talk/write about football either - only thing he bangs on about these days is segregating crowds at matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love any Pro-Caro people to fish out at least 3 articles in the last 5 years specifically writing about a football match.
Why would that matter?
Its like saying you shouldn't comment on footy because you haven't played AFL

As for the question, I think its a bit of both.
Some of her stuff is very good while at times some of her opinion pieces don't make a lot of sense

Why would that matter?
Its like saying you shouldn't comment on footy because you haven't played AFL

As for the question, I think its a bit of both.
Some of her stuff is very good while at times some of her opinion pieces don't make a lot of sense

Quoting a post from over 2 years ago, but point still remains. And think you've completely and utterly missed the point. How you did, I have no idea.

For someone in her role, she should be able demonstrate some sort of football analysis. She has never in my knowledge done so and put said analysis to print.

There are plenty of people who have never played a game of AFL and are very good at their job, it's a shame they don't hold a position the height of a Wilson or Robinson, at least Robbo watches and commentates on games.

No issue with her earning coin doing what she does (despite complete and utter inaccuracy at the best of times) but to call her a journalist? Nup.

And lulz at my comment on Sam Lane. Shame the Emma Quayle's of this world don't have a TV gig.

Her primary focus is to sell papers and generate web hits. She has a crack at a team and all their supporters hit the site, easy way to meet your KPI`s.

As you may have noticed, Caro loves to report her opinion and make it out as fact, with the morons on the HTB lapping it up as gospel. Caro said it in an article, therefore it must be true!

Here's just one example of where CaroLIE has it horribly wrong.

Caro on Footy Classified tonight:

I never said if Hird took blame the others would be spared

Caro, on August 15th in The Age:

X1HeAku.jpg

and

Had Hird been prepared to plead guilty to having allowed the administering of banned and potentially harmful drugs to his players there is every chance that Essendon's doctor of more than three decades, Bruce Reid, may have been spared. Ditto Danny Corcoran and Mark Thompson.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...hirds-mates-20130814-2rwxr.html#ixzz2cQ9bAyTI

and another article on the same day:

eWBmPPk.jpg

I like football, always enjoyed it. She makes me aware of stuff I don't really give a fck about. And drags down my enjoyment of the game.

My sweet darling wife who likes nearly everybody walked into the room one time when she was on and says "I don't like her, she's so negative".

Says it all really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back