Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 64 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conditions are so unique up in the NT (Can't see how a team could play up there fulltime) and we had such a inexperienced side it was always going to be a difficult game to win.

Just felt once Hawkins was still being rested after Cameron's consussion we wern't taking this game seriosuly.

I think the plan was to get in and get out with as little damage as possible, that weather up there could affect the fitenss for a month if not handled correctly.

A lot of improvement needed or we will lose to GWS by 15 goals.

Assuming Hardie is fit, he just has to play this week.

Even if the coaches never saw him as a starting 22 (and still don't) we are at a 'break glass in an emergency' moment.

He's physically developed, experienced (albeit not at AFL level) and from what I've seen in the VFL, is defensively inclined.

Given the state of our midfield, and how teams are waltzing out of contests with a yawn, Hardie could hardly make things worse.

If not now, then why is he even on the list?

Everyone is oddly quiet about Bruhn. Why does he get a free pass? Not acceptable to get 11 touches when they had 4 midfielders with 30+
Didn't think people were quiet, he objectively played like s*** and people have said it. Half the posts here are about how to find better mids so he's not relied on

He had 2 more than Stewart... who had ZERO marks and dropped 7.
Excellent!! lol.
Seriously i see what u r getting at but we had plenty of folk dropping sitters last night.
Right on the money , very few overhead marks were held onto by both sides.
Testing my memory but running around in Melbourne in winter as a junior you were always taught to flatten your palms to stop a wet ball from slipping through - didn't see much evidence of that last night..................

Not for the first time this year, our "poor" midfield won the clearances, centre clearances, and contested ball.

It's what we do with it the clinches that is a problem, as well as what we don't do when the opposition has it.

Suns had far too much easy uncontested possession. The won the turnover game, which is how we normally try to win.
Classic example of the stats not giving a reliable read on the game

Testing my memory but running around in Melbourne in winter as a junior you were always taught to flatten your palms to stop a wet ball from slipping through - didn't see much evidence of that last night..................

We kicked the ball on players heads for most of the game .
Where it was plain to see kick the ball between eye level and bread basket so players can get a handle on it .

No forwards really lead for the ball all that much

Footywire has him down for 5 marks and 2 goals. So he must have clunked 3 that weren’t meant for him? Also 2 goals. Which is twice as many as Hawkins got in his last 4 matches. Stats, eh?
He's averaging 2.5 goals per game from his 2 appearances. That's around 50 in a season.
He's also kicked an "athletic ground ball goal in each match"
He's also still a kid with heaps of development to come - let's see what he's like as a 24 yo - I'm tipping he's going to be scary good !

Staggering we let 5 of their mids accumulate over 30 possessions each. Demonstrates a complete lack of accountability. Or maybe we just were rancid in the humidity? Either way we will find out a lot more next week.
Won't get a better chance at GWS. T.Greene not really firing yet and no J.Kelly or Ash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miers copped one like that two - whereas at least three times Suns players picked it up, tackled, immediately dropped it; play on.
Unbelievable inconsistency last night.

Miers got caught in one which was a great rundown tackle, but you just know if the roles were reversed, it would've been a free for a push in the back as the momentum of the tackle carried Miers forward and the tackler cannoned into his back.

So what's his crime? Giving us a mobile forward target who gets to contests.
Crime? Who said that.
Just thought he was extremely poor, didn't take his chance and should be dropped.

Crime? Who said that.
Just thought he was extremely poor, didn't take his chance and should be dropped.
Read your post again and you will see the connection. I am not about to explain the obvious. But it's good that you don't disagree with my positive assessment of what Neale brings to the forward line.

Crime? Who said that.

Neale ..

Been a round for a while .

Was org our Gulden pick .

Cola swans matched it .

No doubt he tries hard of the feild .
Unsure if he's up to it ..

Exactly. So no-one would be stupid enough to do it again.

Just bad umpiring in the first half last night.
If a team is allowed to play on the edge of the rules and their opponent is halted by the umpires every step of the way it doesn't take long for the former to feel emboldened and the opponent to become overly cautious. Once a significant margin between them is established on the scoreboard the whistle can be more evenly exercised to the point where the free kick difference can be evened up. Yes, our mids were substandard but from the first bounce the umpiring set the tone for how the game was allowed to proceed.

Last edited:
Suns held their marks pretty well but were also marking in space a lot.

Miers copped one like that two - whereas at least three times Suns players picked it up, tackled, immediately dropped it; play on.
Unbelievable inconsistency last night.
It’s a hard game to umpire with the truck wide room for interpretation of every rule, however the issue is not that they’ll make mistakes it’s that there is no forum to discuss or consequences from poor umpiring ….they are far too protected in a professional sport that feedback and transparency exists for every other division

We kicked the ball on players heads for most of the game .
Where it was plain to see kick the ball between eye level and bread basket so players can get a handle on it .

No forwards really lead for the ball all that much
We've been doing this way too much.

I think our strength of creating goals on the turnover has given us some good options running in to goal or out back. But we have not been good at using space in front of forwards.

The higher you kick a ball in, the more time for players to converge. The more players in a contest, the harder to take a mark, the easier to spoil.

Lower entries are easier to mark, and if they are a bit "dirty", easier to scrap goals from.

It’s a hard game to umpire with the truck wide room for interpretation of every rule, however the issue is not that they’ll make mistakes it’s that there is no forum to discuss or consequences from poor umpiring ….they are far too protected in a professional sport that feedback and transparency exists for every other division

Yep..get rewarded for doing a 💩 job .

We've been doing this way too much.

I think our strength of creating goals on the turnover has given us some good options running in to goal or out back. But we have not been good at using space in front of forwards.

The higher you kick a ball in, the more time for players to converge. The more players in a contest, the harder to take a mark, the easier to spoil.

Lower entries are easier to mark, and if they are a bit "dirty", easier to scrap goals from.

I though we kicked into the F50 far to back like 90 metres out from goal .
Rushed a F50 .
If turn over less room for them to go fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back