dempsey (managed)

In:
Hawkins
Cameron
Duncan
SDK
Mannagh
Hardie

Put atkins in the backline and put holmes in the freaking midfield.
Mannagh is needed for class and its a joke if hardie doesnt play over guthrie.
blitz looks tired but we have no structural replacement.
Drop Atkins. I'm sick of "Le epic tackle man" getting 15 disposals, none of which hit the target and getting caught HTB 3 times a game. Yes he once played an amazing fourth quarter, I get it. His tackling game is a luxury our midfield can't afford.

Bruhn and Holmes need to start every center bounce at 80% TOG.

Read your post again and you will see the connection. I am not about to explain the obvious. But it's good that you don't disagree with my positive assessment of what Neale brings to the forward line.
Reprieve is a more widely used word than you're giving credit.
Neale ..

Been a round for a while .

Was org our Gulden pick .

Cola swans matched it .

No doubt he tries hard of the feild .
Unsure if he's up to it ..
Hasn't done anything to win me over yet. But not judging him yet either. There's still time.

Suspect next year he'll get regular games in his contract year. That's make or break time

Drop Atkins. I'm sick of "Le epic tackle man" getting 15 disposals, none of which hit the target and getting caught HTB 3 times a game. Yes he once played an amazing fourth quarter, I get it. His tackling game is a luxury our midfield can't afford.

It's going back a few iterations, but we almost need him back playing as a defensive forward.

Since the Melbourne game teams have been waltzing it out of D50 way to easily.

Axe has dropped off this year.

If a team is allowed to play on the edge of the rules and their opponent is halted every step of the way it doesn't take long for the former to feel emboldened and the opponent to become overly cautious. Once a significant margin between them is established on the scoreboard the whistle can be more evenly exercised to the point where the free kick difference can be evened up. Yes, our mids were substandard but from the first bounce the umpiring set the tone for how the game was allowed to proceed.
Aside from the usual BS from some, there are plenty from all teams on FB (including Hawks and Tuggers) who thought the umpiring was terrible. In a few cases they said the umps clearly wanted GC to win.

I'm not sure I have seen a worse effort in all my years of watching.

I said weeks ago this game would be one we probably wouldn't be fussed dropping, but that was banking on beating Port last week.

We're in a rut, and whether that's because we've hit a flat spot after being up for seven weeks, injuries/management of players, sides have gone to work on us or we just aren't that good as we'd may have thought, who knows. Probably a combination of the lot and other factors I haven't mentioned.

We're in a tricky situation. The start has put us in a good position to play finals, probably better than they would have thought at the beginning of the season. But we're carrying many experienced, senior players whose form is well below par and there are guys in the VFL who are deserving of an opportunity. We're in that contend/transition mode. The club won't concede, as we just don't do that, and they'll be putting their faith in these players to bounce back. But we might be closer to a tipping point than we were only two weeks ago.

There's no doubt our fixture has caught up with us too. The wet slog in Brisbane, then the clash against against a hot Carlton, followed by another dour slog with Melbourne in the wet, then two six day breaks to fresher or more acclimatised sides, including a trip to humid Darwin at the end. It's not excusing the rubbish we dished up last night, but it has to have been a factor. Three games in 13 days is far from ideal.

All of a sudden, next week is now season defining, whereas two weeks ago we still hadn't lost a game. How quickly things can change.

It's going back a few iterations, but we almost need him back playing as a defensive forward.

Spot on !
We are clearly moving away from the slow, methodical build up into F50 and trying to keep it locked in.
Our pressure forwards run up and down constantly and support our quick slingshot movement from D50 or between the arcs.
As a result we rely on conversion more because if we turn it over in F50 it comes out very quickly.
We are also very poor at defending kick ins with every one of these ending up on the wing or sometimes deeper.

It worked for 7 weeks but either we have become tired or we have been worked out - either way we need to respond and turn it around.

It's been the case well before the Melbourne game. It's just that before that we were winning.

The ruck duel was an interesting one - I’m a big advocate of Conway’s and am prepared to be very patient with his development, which will take years.

Both he and his opponent, Moyle, have played 4 games of senior footy.

Conway got more of the ball and his potential was obvious, but like bulletproof i thought Moyle had an impact, particularly in the 1st half.

They had the same amount of contested possessions, but I thought Moyle was quite influential in the actual ruck duels and he gave the Suns mids 1st use on a number of occasions.

He out-positioned Conway in a couple of marking contests around the ground, too - clunked one and probably should have held on to a couple more.

In some ways we were lucky Conway wasn’t exposed to Witts, who would have absolutely monstered the kid.

The best thing about Conway’s game last night was his resilience.

Cramping up in the third quarter; I thought he’d be cooked for the night but he ran out the 4th adequately.

As for his 21 disposals, it was a mixed bag, but there’s little doubt that he has a knack for finding the ball; it will eventually serve us very well.

Could one day Captain the club given a decent run with injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to think the humidity ended up with a crazy result. But this is the 3rd game in a row where the opposition have smashed the midfield.

Is it? We won the clearance count 47-43. Also, we have been changing our midfield mix so much over the year, I feel the club is taking the advantage of our 7-0 start to experiment with different combinations to see what works.

1715915527689.png

1715915293393.png

I thought Brad Close was extremely disappointing for the first 3 quarters of last night’s game; he simply had to do more.

Bobbed up a bit in the last, which is a testament to his fitness, but he looked half-interested for much of the match.

When was the last time we saw him pull off a team-lifting run-down tackle? Was doing it regularly in ‘22, haven’t seen it at all this year.

I like what he can contribute at his best; when he is humming he can really help the forward line gel.

Last edited:
Does anyone in here seriously care about last night’s game? Means nothing in the grand scheme.

Was disappointing but you’re right, overall it’s not a disaster. We’re 7-3 and do find ourselves with some work to do to find our winning ways again, I think we were ‘okay’ against Melbourne, but last 2 games has been horrible.

Its a marathon not a sprint, I have full faith in the club to turn things around, whether we are a flag threat or not remains to be seen but on our day we can still beat anyone. Let’s hope for a good turnaround in form next week and a win.

If a team is allowed to play on the edge of the rules and their opponent is halted by the umpires every step of the way it doesn't take long for the former to feel emboldened and the opponent to become overly cautious. Once a significant margin between them is established on the scoreboard the whistle can be more evenly exercised to the point where the free kick difference can be evened up. Yes, our mids were substandard but from the first bounce the umpiring set the tone for how the game was allowed to proceed.
I agree. I was responding to a post that implied it was deliberate bias, which is criminal conduct.

Last edited:
Was disappointing but you’re right, overall it’s not a disaster. We’re 7-3 and do find ourselves with some work to do to find our winning ways again, I think we were ‘okay’ against Melbourne, but last 2 games has been horrible.

Its a marathon not a sprint, I have full faith in the club to turn things around, whether we are a flag threat or not remains to be seen but on our day we can still beat anyone. Let’s hope for a good turnaround in form next week and a win.
Yeah, I think it's a good reality check for the club and the players, and hopefully it spurs them on to make the changes and improvements that are needed to set ourselves up for success - whether this year or in future years.

Yeah, I think it's a good reality check for the club and the players, and hopefully it spurs them on to make the changes and improvements that are needed to set ourselves up for success - whether this year or in future years.

We’re doing a rebuild on the run, to be 7-3 while transitioning is a remarkable testament to the club, could be doing a Richmond anchored to the bottom for the foreseeable future, thats not in our DNA.

We’re doing a rebuild on the run, to be 7-3 while transitioning is a remarkable testament to the club, could be doing a Richmond anchored to the bottom for the foreseeable future, thats not in our DNA.
A lot of clubs would be happy to sell the farm to be where we are …it’s tough these loses but the season isn’t over and you just have to look at Norf who have been rebuilding for 10 plus years to see how bad it can go

All about perception

The ruck duel was an interesting one - I’m a big advocate of Conway’s and am prepared to be very patient with his development, which will take years.

Both he and his opponent, Moyle, have played 4 games of senior footy.

Conway got more of the ball and his potential was obvious, but like bulletproof i thought Moyle had an impact, particularly in the 1st half.

They had the same amount of contested possessions, but I thought Moyle was quite influential in the actual ruck duels and he gave the Suns mids 1st use on a number of occasions.

He out-positioned Conway in a couple of marking contests around the ground, too - clunked one and probably should have held on to a couple more.

In some ways we were lucky Conway wasn’t exposed to Witts, who would have absolutely monstered the kid.

The best thing about Conway’s game last night was his resilience.

Cramping up in the third quarter; I thought he’d be cooked for the night but he ran out the 4th adequately.

As for his 21 disposals, it was a mixed bag, but there’s little doubt that he has a knack for finding the ball; it will eventually serve us very well.

Could one day Captain the club given a decent run with injury.
Good summary CC.

I will add, that after he gifted Lukosius that goal in Q1 he is hereby given the Blicavs/Kolo edict to NEVER EVER KICK ACROSS GOAL WITH NO FORWARD MOMENTUM.

Neale was shocking in the first half but I'll give him credit for working into the game a bit more towards the end... I can forgive some of those dropped marks due to conditions. If it was dry, it would be another story.

The biggest issue IMO is midfield spread and linkup players... The mix in there is terrible.

Really need to clone Holmes a few times... Not sure if possible though. Thank god he re-signed.

Guys like Parf, Bruhn, and Axe play in such a small radius that once the ball is out of it, they offer very little + they aren't even dominant within that radius.

Get Mullin in the guts more.

Conway should be a fine ruck for a long time.

Cannot agree with Neale at all. Does not deserve a reprieve.
VFL for a month or more
Yes. Next week we have to do everything to win and that means playing the best possible team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back