Cats trade package

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 5, 2004
Niddrie
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Airport West & Man Utd
If Geelong offered a package of Enright, Hunt, Mackie and Playfair would they get a top 10 draft pick in return. Maybe Carlton or Port Adelaide may be interested. All 4 would play ones at Carlton and all are under 25 years of age.

You would find few sides wanting to take on 4 players for one draft selection. Unless a team like Essendon or Carlton de-lists more than 10 players, it's quite unlikely.

Not a chance.

I think if the Cats ended with a top ten pick and then threw in Steve Johnson they might be able to trade up a couple of spots. Clubs will be reluctant to trade their first rounders this year and a top four pick will be required to get a player like Gumbleton

pieman1 said:
I think if the Cats ended with a top ten pick and then threw in Steve Johnson they might be able to trade up a couple of spots. Clubs will be reluctant to trade their first rounders this year and a top four pick will be required to get a player like Gumbleton

Do Geelong really need another ruckman in Gumbleton? They already have King and Ottens, not to mention others.

Richo83 said:
Do Geelong really need another ruckman in Gumbleton? They already have King and Ottens, not to mention others.

Gumbleton isn't a ruckman - he is a CHF with a very good contested mark, very good football brain and good skills. Is starting to fill out reasonably. Drawbacks are that he isn't very quick or agile - only average. He is playing at WAFLs Senior level, kicked a couple of bags of goals early on and was almost picked for the WA vs SA Senior team. Chris Waterman (Peel Coach) said that he is worth finishing last in the AFL for.

IMO he is the best WA junior I have seen since Daniel Wells, and if Freo had a pick and he was still there, I would be sorely disappointed if we didn't take him (This despite we really need midfielders).

Please note I am not saying Hansen, Sellar or even Thorpe isn't better - he just looks exceedingly good.

IF Carlton traded their first pick in the draft for anyone bar Judd or J.Brown I would seriously think that the club and Pagan have gone senile and whilst I'ld still buy my membership, I would be very bitter

Ysaye said:
Gumbleton isn't a ruckman - he is a CHF with a very good contested mark, very good football brain and good skills. Is starting to fill out reasonably. Drawbacks are that he isn't very quick or agile - only average. He is playing at WAFLs Senior level, kicked a couple of bags of goals early on and was almost picked for the WA vs SA Senior team. Chris Waterman (Peel Coach) said that he is worth finishing last in the AFL for.

IMO he is the best WA junior I have seen since Daniel Wells, and if Freo had a pick and he was still there, I would be sorely disappointed if we didn't take him (This despite we really need midfielders).

Please note I am not saying Hansen, Sellar or even Thorpe isn't better - he just looks exceedingly good.

I know they are completely different players and it may be like comparing apples to oranges but on talent alone in your opinion how does Gumbleton compare to Jetta?

year of the cat said:
I know they are completely different players and it may be like comparing apples to oranges but on talent alone in your opinion how does Gumbleton compare to Jetta?

That's almost impossible to do.

I'd always take Gumbo over Jetta, but that's not taking anything away from Jetta.

I hope Jetta slips to WCE

Richo83 said:

With Tom Hawkins signed, sealed and delivered the Cats would surely looking to be adding pacy ball carriers and not another CHF. With the top few draft picks looking KP-heavy the Cats would be stoked to sit in the 6-10 range and take an elite midfielder like Selwood.

Weaver said:
With Tom Hawkins signed, sealed and delivered the Cats would surely looking to be adding pacy ball carriers and not another CHF. With the top few draft picks looking KP-heavy the Cats would be stoked to sit in the 6-10 range and take an elite midfielder like Selwood.
\

We have not had one decent key position forward since the days of Ablett/Stoneham/Brownless. That was a long time ago. Sure we have N.Ablett developing and Tom Hawkins to come via FS but I think most Geelong fans are just screaming out for at least one genuine key forward that is taken early on in the draft. Hawkins can always be played as a mobile ruckman. After all King is all but finished. Our on-ball department I believe is ok with Bartel, Corey, Tenace, Kelly, G.Ablett, Chapman, Rooke, Varcoe and even Ling and Enright (who are both severely out of form).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whether they would play ones at carlton or not is irrelevant. the first step towards getting off the ground is keeping our draft picks, not trading them for recycled hacks, like we have done previously.

year of the cat said:
Sure we have N.Ablett developing and Tom Hawkins to come via FS but I think most Geelong fans are just screaming out for at least one genuine key forward that is taken early on in the draft.

Of course, but in the abscence of having five picks in the top-10 a club has to prioritise. Hawkins is a CHF of rare potential. With a genuine top-3 calibre forward already signed it frees the Cats up to address other weaknesses. The Cats midfield is good but very 'samey' and very one paced. Injecting some really quality there allows every else to shuffle down one spot in the pecking order and that is the way midfields become better.

Weaver said:
Of course, but in the abscence of having five picks in the top-10 a club has to prioritise. Hawkins is a CHF of rare potential. With a genuine top-3 calibre forward already signed it frees the Cats up to address other weaknesses. The Cats midfield is good but very 'samey' and very one paced. Injecting some really quality there allows every else to shuffle down one spot in the pecking order and that is the way midfields become better.

Absolutely. One only needs to analyse the best 'midfield teams' in the competition to see that variation is important.

Weaver said:

From mojo's summaries Selwood would be just adding to our "one-paced" midfield. I don't think he is blessed with break-neck speed himself - his brothers certainly aren't. That leaves Jetta or Collard - both apparently terrific quick players but would you take them at pick 4-6?

Weaver said:

so are you saying you rate hawkins as a top 3 pick?

how does he compare with gumbleton, sellar, thorp, reiwoldt?

Jack-Packenham said:
If Geelong offered a package of Enright, Hunt, Mackie and Playfair would they get a top 10 draft pick in return. Maybe Carlton or Port Adelaide may be interested. All 4 would play ones at Carlton and all are under 25 years of age.

Trying to pedal our wares , Jack?

The plain fact is , in a draft of this quality the only way we are going to get another pick in the top ten is to give away a player that we dont wont to give away. Enright might be interesting to a few clubs but not for a top 10 pick. It maybe easier to trade for another player, closer to being ready than a kid in this draft, like if Meeson wanted to come home for instance. This would allow us to use our first pick in the draft on the best mid available.

Selwood has too many thumbs up from smart judges not to be a kid of quality. Ok , he may not be the speed king we want but by all account he is a guy who will increase our neutral ball clearances. For that alone he is must seriously consider. I just wonder if thats his only trick is the pick too much in a draft this good.Other extractor types- Harris was taken at 14 in 2000, not really a strong draft , Sam Mitchell was P36 in a strong draft. Maybe a kid like Hislop as our second pick would do the same sort of job for us?

Weaver said:

You're right - the key players in the current midfield like Corey, Ling, Enright, Bartel and Kelly are a little 'samey' and one-paced. However, the Cats have already moved to address this by bringing in real speedsters like Tenace, Varcoe, Stokes and Byrnes. Varcoe in particular is still very young but purportedly lightning quick and with good skills. And watching them against the Weagles on Saturday, they certainly didn't look slow in the first half (they did in the second half, but I think that has more to do with fitness levels than legspeed).

However, without a shadow of a doubt, the number one weakness right now is lack of decent key forwards. Nathan Ablett is the only one on the list at the moment who looks like he might be able to deliver, and he's still a long way off and no certainty to get there at all. Kingsley is a dud, Playfair tries hard but is a battler, McCarthy can't kick, Lonergan is in his 4th year and has shown little. Mooney can be good when he's up forward, but is probably better elsewhere.

And it really is a problem - a quick glance around the league shows that generally 2-3 good key forwards are needed to be a real contender - see Collingwood (Rocca, Tarrant), Adelaide (Henschel, McGregor, Perrie), Sydney (Hall, O'Loughlin, Goodes), West Coast (Lynch, Hansen), St Kilda (Gehrig, Riewoldt, Hamill). Brisbane in their heyday killed opposition defences with Brown, Lynch and Bradshaw.

So, if the Cats get a top six pick I think they should go for a KP forward in addition to Hawkins. Any of Gumbleton, Hansen, Thorp or Sellar will do. Then look at a quick midfielder with their second pick, which would probably be in the low 20s - should be some serious quality left. I would think that Benjamin, Collard, Sheringham, Fielding or Petterd would fit the bill nicely. Yes, Gibbs would be great, but he will go in the top 2 to either Carlton or Essendon, and as someone said earlier Selwood is too much like the ones we have already and Jetta may not be worth such a high pick (and as a flashy freak, probably not the type of player the Cats need anyway).

Personally I think Sheringham would be great if he was still there by then - a smart, skilled and quick player with great disposal. His brother is already at the club, and they like the local boys. Rotate him through the middle with Bartel, Corey, Varcoe, Ablett, Chapman, Tenace and Stokes/Byrnes and you have a varied, quick and highly talented midfield that could match it with just about any in the league. And perhaps even more importantly, you have some serious targets for them to kick it to.

Turbocat said:
Trying to pedal our wares , Jack?

The plain fact is , in a draft of this quality the only way we are going to get another pick in the top ten is to give away a player that we dont wont to give away. Enright might be interesting to a few clubs but not for a top 10 pick. It maybe easier to trade for another player, closer to being ready than a kid in this draft, like if Meeson wanted to come home for instance. This would allow us to use our first pick in the draft on the best mid available.

Selwood has too many thumbs up from smart judges not to be a kid of quality. Ok , he may not be the speed king we want but by all account he is a guy who will increase our neutral ball clearances. For that alone he is must seriously consider. I just wonder if thats his only trick is the pick too much in a draft this good.Other extractor types- Harris was taken at 14 in 2000, not really a strong draft , Sam Mitchell was P36 in a strong draft. Maybe a kid like Hislop as our second pick would do the same sort of job for us?

I think we're actually pretty well off for extractor types at the moment. Yes we got smashed by Hawthorn and maybe a couple of others on the clearances, but then we smashed the Weagles (statistically the best clearance side in the league) in the first three quarters on the weekend. We have the players - G Ablett, Corey, Bartel and Prismall (according to junior record) are all excellent at the stoppages. And as you say, even if we did want another one, they're often a little easier to get later in the draft than other types.

I would be happy to trade to get Meesen, but remember he's an out and out ruckman. He'll improve our ruck stocks, which we probably need given the problems with Kingy and Otto, but he won't solve our far more pressing key forward issues.

So, I really think we have to go KP forward with our first pick, and if Gumbleton, Hansen, Thorp and Sellar are gone by then, we should look at a Riewoldt, Reid, Mackenzie or even Everitt.

i really think that geelong should go for another KPP, and that should be a forward..

Yes we have Hawkins all stitched up, and N.Ablett developing nicely, why not have another super talent in there like gumbleton or rewoldlt?

HF: Chapman Hawkins G.Ablett
F: N.Ablett Gumbleton S.Johnson

very reasonable assessment from a Pies supporter :eek: ;)

I'll add my voice to those who're interested in the GFC grabbing another KF - or possibly Sellar, a potential forward/ruckman ...

If the key forwards in the upcoming draft are as good as reports suggest, we'd be foolish to overlook them imo ... KF's don't grow on trees, midfielders are a dime a dozen ...

*hypothetical trade*

Scarlett and our 2nd round selection (which could be around 23ish ?) for Carlton's #2 pick ... :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back