moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
This afternoon (4.30 ko) Wigan take on Saints; probably the oldest rivalry in the game. I'd love to be there (game being played in Warrington), but live on the BBC will have to do. Should be a cracker, and I can't wait! Surely it's Wigan's to lose now, after they disposed of Warrington in the quarters?

Tomorrow Castleford Tigers take on Leeds Rhinos in the all Yorkshire clash in the other half of the draw. Leeds must be favourites there, and the Tigers will need their main man Rangi Chase to be on top of his game to stand any chance.

More later! :D

Like their quarter final against Warrington, Saturday;'s semi-final between Wigan Warriors and St. Helens started with the Warriors under the pump, as Saints forced repeated sets, with their short kicking game in good order. Full-back Sam Tomkins had his hands full with defensive duties for the first twenty minutes or so, spending most of time diving over his own dead-ball line pushing the ball out of play, with little opportunity to pose his usual attacking threat.

Echoing the recent debate about teams 'taking the two' in the NRL, when Wigan were awarded a penalty in a rare attack and decided to go for goal, the Saints fans countered by ironically singing "Swing Low Sweet Chariot"! :) Whether that had an effect I doubt, but the usually reliable ex-Tiger Pat Richards missed a sitter; very rare for him. Soon the boot was on the other foot as Saints themselves elected to go for goal having been awarded a pen themselves, which was kicked in fine style by Saints young winger Jamie Foster. The lad only debuted last season, and is just 21, but already has an impressive 197 goals (and 21 tries) to his fledgling career.

After 30 minutes Wigan had made 71 tackles and missed two. There was a lengthy stoppage for an injury to young Saints half Lomax before the first try of the match arrived. And it was worth waiting for. Following an error by Francis Meli, rookie winger Charnley, who had scored a wonderful solo try in the quarters, picked up the ball ten yards from his own line and brushed through a couple of tackles. Once again, a Saints defender was left clutching at thin air, and we thought, here we go again, as Charnley sped down the right touch-line. So, a classic case of 'just the full-back to beat'. As full-back Wellens came across, Charnley tried to put a step on him, but Wellens showed his experience and timed his tackle perfectly. However, Wigan were not done, and from the play-the-ball they swung the ball rapidly across from right to left, where George Carmont capped a wonderful move in the corner. This time Richards made no mistake with the conversion from the touch-line. 6-2 to Wigan. Wigan were denied another fine try when Finch foolishly got involved in the play after being in front of the kicker, and the try was rightly ruled out by the video ref. So at half-time, despite Saints having had the bulk of possession and territory, it was Wigan who led by four points. At the break Wigan had made 91 tackles and missed 3, with their opponents only having made about two-thirds as many. A performance that would have had any NRL coach purring, I'm sure. :)

A fine break from Saints' dummy-half James Roby early inther scond half came to nothing before S. Tomkins appeared to have scored another wonderful try, only for it to be ruled out for a piece of maladroit obstruction from Hoffman (that bit's for you, Coop ;) ) Saints were still well in the contest, and forced a further drop-out before a second Wigan try. Once again it was that man Charnley, breaking down the wing after a fine passing move, with Joel Tomkins showing fine centre's skills with an instant catch-and-pass. Charnley then cut inside the full-back and wrong-footed the cover to score under the posts in fine style. He then had 20 tries in his first 29 games. 12-2 Wigan.

I do believe England are now starting to produce young backs of real quality. The likes of Charnley and Cudjoe at Huddersfield should have a bright future in the game.

A interesting little quirk happened shortly after. The ref blew up for a knock on by Wigan. But the video replay showed that in fact there was no knock-on, it should have been play on. The ref then reversed his decision and gave Wigan head and feed at the scrum. I'm not sure that's totally legal, but the ref wanted to give possession back to Wigan, who should have had the ball.

S. Tomkins was not to be denied getting his name on the score-sheet, and did so soon after with a typically predatory scurry from close range, stepping from left to right to bamboozle three or four defenders and force the ball over the line. He is one of those players who seem to have elastic arms and can just reach out and plant the ball down one-handed from five yards out!

The pressure was getting to Saints, and Foster put the restart out on the full to provide another attacking platform for the Warriors. They had a great opportunity to put the tie to bed when Carmont unusually dropped a pass on the try-line. However, the coach's ire wouldn't be directed at Carmont, but rather at Joel Tomkins, who had been through himself and only had to dive over, but instead elected to throw a completely unnecessary pass to Carmont alongside him.

As if heartened by this Saints then got themselves back into the game with two fine tried from Foster, both set up by adroit work from Francis Meli, who, since being moved into the centres, is starting to look to me a bit like a better centre than he ever was winger, showing sweet handling skills. The second conversion was missed to leave Saints a score behind at 18-12. With a few minutes to go, Richards had a opportunity to put the tie to bed with a penalty attempt from near the touch-line, but it went just wide. However, Wigan held on without too much trouble to post a fine victory. Saints had plenty of the ball (most of it, in the first half), but Wigan's Aussie-like defence won them the game. Quite simply, they were the better side in both attack and defence. They have experience in the halves, with Kiwi international Thomas Leuluai at 7 and Paul Deacon at 6 directing them rounded the park skilfully.

Man of the Match was again Sam Tomkins, with a wonderful display in both attack and defence. He really is developing into a wonderful footballer. There's not that much of him, but he has the combination of bravery and swagger that the best full-backs all have, Slater-like. And, incidentally, that opposing fans hate! Following the booing that he suffered from Leeds' so-called England fans in the game against the Exiles, the Wigan fans have taken that up with glee, and hie is now booed by his own supporters every time he touches the ball!

I just wrote a piece on the Leeds/Cas game and lost it all just before I posted. Grr!

Laters.

Well, briefly, for anyone who's still interested....

The drop-off in quality was marked compared to the Wigan game. Cas produced arguably the only moment of real quality in the game early in the second half: a wonderful solo try from Rangi Chase, who picked the ball up about 20 metres out and with a shimmy broke through the Leeds defence. Chase sprinted up the left wing, and as Kiwi full-back Brent Webb came across to cover, he virtually taunted him, dummying to pass inside and generally tying Webb in knots, before going over in the corner. Leeds had earlier led with a penalty, and although the conversion was missed, Cas soon got a pen, and then another a while later, to lead 8-2 with about ten minutes of game to go.

But Leeds were not to be denied, and after another pen, scored their only try, a fine move finished by Calum Watkins, after excellent work from Weller Hauraki (no, I'd never heard of him either) to squeeze out a flick pass, which the reliable Kevin Sinfield converted, to square the game up.

As extra time loomed, Chase had a chance for winning drop-goal, but screwed his effort wide under pressure from Rhinos defenders.

Golden point time was only a couple of minutes old when ref Bentham made the decision to award Leeds a very kickable pen for a high shot on five-eighth Danny McGuire. A massive decision. I think it was the right one; it was one of those where I don't thnk there was any malice, and he was trying to dislodge the ball. But he didn't touch the ball, and his swinging arm hit McGuire around the head. Cruel on outsiders Cas, and I think most neutrals felt a lot of sympathy for them.

So it's Wigan/Leeds in the final. Of course, Leeds got a tanking in the final from Warrington last year, in a game they never really turned up for. They will be desperate to do better this time, but the form-book is against them. Can't wait! :D

I always read your posts and very interested in your review of the games, just very disappointed we don't get to see the games here in Melbourne to chat with you about them...

GUESS WHAT??

Would you believe Ch.9 here are showing the R.24 :) clash 12.05am Tues morning between Bradford Bulls vs Hull KR Odsal Stadium, Bradford.

I nearly fell over as I glanced thru the TV Guide last night.:eek:
Truely its been close to 18 months or more since they showed ESL here in Melb.

Well Bradford and Hull KR are hardly the cream of English rugby... :) It's #9 v #11, but both have a chance of making the 8.

The Cup Final is the show-piece game they want to be screening.

Well Bradford and Hull KR are hardly the cream of English rugby... :) It's #9 v #11, but both have a chance of making the 8.

The Cup Final is the show-piece game they want to be screening.

What happened to Bradford?

They and St Helens use to be the two strong teams in that competition.

Now its looks as though Bradford have dropped and Wigan and Leeds have become strong.

Bradford haven't had a good side since Robbie Paul used to play for them. I remember going to see them in the Cup Final one year and Paul had the unfortunate record of being the only player in history to score a hat-trick in a Challenge Cup Final and end up on the losing side. Saints are still decent, but they are a team in transition. The old guard aren't getting any younger. They do have some promising youngsters, though: Lomax and what's-his-name begins with G :) in the halves and Foster on the wing. Saints also have Kyle Eastmond. A year or two ago, he looked the brightest talent in English rugby, but after will-he-won't-he talk about going over to union, injury and ill-discipline, he's become little more than a bench player this season. Shame.

Wigan and Warrington are easily the two best sides at the moment, and Wigan have the chance to do the league and Cup double this year. Surprisingly, in the Superleague era it's never been done.

I saw a bit of Saints v Huddersfield last night, and James Graham was again outstanding fort them. I think you guys will be impressed with him in the NRL next season. I must say that losing him to Oz and getting a superannuated Titans forward in exchange doesn't look like great business for Saints to me.

What team is James Graham headed to Moto? I haven't been keeping up with a lot of the new singnings of late, apart from the Storm of course and who is the aged Titan coming to your shores?

Actually a quick glance at a Saints forum suggests their fans are quite pleased with Laffranchi (and Hohaia). Although less pleased about Graham going, obviously. If I was the Saints' coach I wouldn't swap Laffranchi for Tony Puletua, but that's just me.

Watching Hull KR/Bradford now. Well, there's another Burgess on view for you :) and I do rate Bradford's Elliot Whitehead, a mobile back-rower in the mould of Glenn and Gillett at the Broncos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Hull KR/Bradford now. Well, there's another Burgess on view for you :) and I do rate Bradford's Elliot Whitehead, a mobile back-rower in the mould of Glenn and Gillett at the Broncos.

Well aren't you the lucky one because Ch.9 in Melbourne did NOT show the game.:thumbsdown:

I was going to suggest in my earlier post about the game that it might be a typo and it was, no doubt meant for the NSW and Q.ld tv markets.
Ch.9 > get STUFFED!

There's no doubt a lot of English people living here in Melbourne would have been looking forward to that game and they got a Brad Pitt movie instead!

Can't say it was anything that special, Coop. A comfortable win for Hull KR in the end after Bradford had led 8-0. Star of the show: Michael Dobson, who played for the Raiders a while back. I was surprised to see that the old slaphead is only 25! :)

Whitehead, who I was praising upthread, was put on report for biting an opponent, FFS!

Another terrific performance from Wigan last night. With the Cup Final next Saturday, they might have been forgiven for taking it a bit easy, or resting some key players, but after leading by only 6 against the Bradford Bulls at half-time, their coach clearly had other ideas, and the Warriors came out all guns blazing in the second half, running in 42 unanswered points for a 60-12 crushing. This week Sam Tomkins scored not one but two Slater-esque length of the field tries, picking the ball up from virtually under his own posts. Both wingers got hat-tricks (both have 19 for the season), and if Richards, who had a rare off-day, had brought his kicking boots, they'd have comfortably reached 70.

I'm sure Leeds, who looked pretty decent last weekend, will be much more competitive next weekend, but it's hard to see past a Wigan win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back