Champion Data rate Schache above Weitering as the best in the open draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It's nice to have an academy so that these players are actually drafted by my team on the cheap.
EFA.

Don't try to spin it, the academy kids are sweet deals for the northern clubs. Thanks god, Heeney and Mills were so prominent and so good. The AFL didn't like it, on top of Tippett and Franklin. If not for Heeney and Mills, the northern clubs would still be picking up academy kids with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I'd be ticked off with the AFL for changing the system to a bidding one if I was a northern club too. In Leppo's word "the AFL has taken away an advantage of ours".

images

No just shut your mouth and be happy that you get a quality player for next to nothing. You don't have to be a dick on an Internet forum about it .....

We will be paying what he is worth in points and its worth noting the academies don't run themselves, it costs money paid for by the clubs. No need to be ill informed fool on an internet forum.....

EFA.

Don't try to spin it, the academy kids are sweet deals for the northern clubs. Thanks god, Heeney and Mills were so prominent and so good. The AFL didn't like it, on top of Tippett and Franklin. If not for Heeney and Mills, the northern clubs would still be picking up academy kids with 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I'd be ticked off with the AFL for changing the system to a bidding one if I was a northern club too. In Leppo's word "the AFL has taken away an advantage of ours".

You seem to have misunderstood his post. He doesn't mention the bidding system. Most of these academy kids have had five or six years of increased interaction with professional AFL coaches and other assistance that would never have happened previously. That's what Sherrinator is talking about, not just focusing on the last year where it becomes obvious that all that time, effort and money has paid dividends.

There's a pretty good chance Heeney goes on to play cricket full time if not for the Swans academy. After all, who's monitoring the Newcastle local leagues? Keays becomes probably a mid round talent at best without the academy with a high chance of washing out like Proud, Conway, Stiller, Harding or, if absolutely lucky, Dayne Beams. Hipwood another tall Qld ruck prospect that may or may not make it or gets scouted by basketball. Callum Mills probably goes to Sydney as a zone rookie - they've always been pretty good at identifying undeveloped talent in the immediate Sydney basin. Maybe any of those others give away AFL as well, since league or cricket or other sports show interest in these kind of cross-code talents.

EFA.

If you actually read my post you would realise your post was a waste of time. See Dlanod's comment.

I know you hate Brisbane but maybe take a breath first and pretend I don't have a listed club.

The problem is that if they want a mid at pick 3 they may be better to pick their man (Parish?) and say to him they rate him higher... Would be werid for Parish if they went:

Pick 3: Hopper Bid (Gws matched)
Pick 4: Mills Bid (Swans matched)
Pick 5: Kennedy Bid (GWS Matched)
Pick 6: Keays bid.... na fcuk it...Parish you will do

More likely is they will bid on one to keep AFL off their back as they are suppose to give a crap about making academy clubs honest

We bid on Heeney last year before Petracca or Brayshaw, I doubt they really give a stuff.

They keep numbers from every game these guys play down to the under 16s, so they have plenty of data to base their opinion of guys like Burton on.

Worth noting that the title and the OP have no mention of Carlton at all - it's just a thread about Champion Data's rankings.

Cool story mate. All I have ever done is give my opinion because it's my opinion.

I found it interesting that Champion Data actually looked at the numbers and said Schache's better, it's the most interesting aspect of their top 30, so I started a topic on it.

Most other opinions get formed on media hype, I like that when an expert statistics company dedicated to AFL analysis took an honest objective look at the numbers, they came up with the same conclusion I already have.

In the end though I just have an opinion and I'm sharing it - on a football opinion-sharing website, what a crime. You'll have to find some way to live with that. Or you can just keep rabidly attacking posters for having their own opinions. It's up to you.

Like someone else has said, defenders always score competitively lower numbers in things like this due to a lot less input into the play that results actual goals. They also can't account for the intangibles such as leadership and character. I'd be incredibly pissed at Carlton if they suddenly did a about-face and drafted Schache instead. All the point of this thread is good for is to give hope to Brisbane or to help consolidate the prejudices of people who wish further negativity on Carlton.

Then why start a thread on Champion Data's opinion?

You gave your opinion the other night, but for some reason felt the need to start a new thread about another opinion.....that you don't care about apparently.

And the thread could have been about the Champion Data rankings more generally without the title you gave it. But then again, that's the only reason you started the thread, right?

But sure, on with the thread.
Deep down he probably thinks NM need a messiah and still has grief over Carey no longer being at the club, all these years later. Anyway, He's been on about the Weitering versus Schache thing for ages, as if he has a personal investment. It's either a troll or jealousy, otherwise he'd have shut up by now.

It's nice to have an Academy so you can work with Prospects lot Earlier
It's nice that the teams invest so much time and money into the academies so guy who would be lost to the game stay involved.

I don't see Collingwood doing to much to help out with the development of AFL across the country

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bidding on players at a reasonable point in the draft = pissing the corresponding clubs off ???
So called draft tampering works the other way you realise. The players have to reasonably be worth that pick otherwise you might get stuck with them.

Yes you are being smug because the gws are getting another great kid due to bullshit concessions given to your franchise by the afl. Congratulations .....
Why don't you guys just ignore the salary cap or have a VISY contract ready for the next superstar you want to sign!!

Hahaha who is paying the money again?
Well it's certainly not Melbourne is it?? All these arguments about the northern clubs fail to realise that without them your precious Demons would probably cease to exist as the TV money would probably half.

Last edited:
Why don't you guys just ignore the salary cap or have a VISY contract ready for the next superstar you want to sign!!

And how much more than the rest of the competition were the Lions paying their players when they won their premiership??? Oh wait it was alright because the afl allowed it.

It's nice that the teams invest so much time and money into the academies so guy who would be lost to the game stay involved.

I don't see Collingwood doing to much to help out with the development of AFL across the country
You're kidding aren't you? Please tell me that's a joke. Your club is doing it because of what benefits you get from it at the draft table and if Collingwood were allowed by the AFL to have a similar academy, they would pour so much more money into it (thus doing more to develop the game) than you do it wouldn't be funny!

And how much more than the rest of the competition were the Lions paying their players when they won their premiership??? Oh wait it was alright because the afl allowed it.

It's good that you understand that rules can be followed as the lions did for years. Why don't you get Mick Gatto and his mates around the clubs again to show just how above board you all are

You're kidding aren't you? Please tell me that's a joke. Your club is doing it because of what benefits you get from it at the draft table and if Collingwood were allowed by the AFL to have a similar academy, they would pour so much more money into it (thus doing more to develop the game) than you do it wouldn't be funny!

I disnt say the clubs don't get a benefit out of it, I notice Geelong, North Melb and Richmond also benefited so it's hardly a one way street.

All the carry on about academies is only now coming because players with talent are getting drafted.

Where were the complaints when no one was coming through?

I also don't see the same level of complaints about father son picks

Graham Wright's top five picks
On talent alone, these are the players he believes are the top five in the draft.

1. Jacob Weitering, Dandenong Stingrays

DOB: 23/11/97; Height: 195cm; Weight: 90kg

Jacob is an outstanding key position prospect as a defender. He’s a great size at 195cm, has speed, power and balance, and keeps his feet. He can play in a zone off role or one on one, plays the angles very well and has outstanding ability to maneuver his opponent where he wants him to go (and into non dangerous spots). Jacob has excellent right foot skills, has penetration in his kick and accuracy. He’s a very good intercept mark and will attack out of the back half, with an outstanding combination of speed and endurance.

Weitering >>>> Schache #BigFooty

academies are growing the game in QLD and NSW and producing a stronger NEAFL. Something the VFL supporters just don't and probably never will understand is that the Aussie Rules is not the only major code in town here... get it through your thick skulls flogs. It is beneficial for the code long term to have consistent talent coming out of the northern states... If there was no academy then there would be no way that the past few drafts would have been as deep. Allows Vic clubs to keep their talent in their state as well...

Like someone else has said, defenders always score competitively lower numbers in things like this due to a lot less input into the play that results actual goals. They also can't account for the intangibles such as leadership and character. I'd be incredibly pissed at Carlton if they suddenly did a about-face and drafted Schache instead. All the point of this thread is good for is to give hope to Brisbane or to help consolidate the prejudices of people who wish further negativity on Carlton.
Completely agree with you. I'm not sure any recruiter has ever gone "let's check his SuperCoach point to see if he'll be a good pick up".

As a lions supporter I'm glad we got Schache but Wietering looks like a gun for Carlton.

I wonder what SOS would have averaged in SuperCoach.

Completely agree with you. I'm not sure any recruiter has ever gone "let's check his SuperCoach point to see if he'll be a good pick up".

As a lions supporter I'm glad we got Schache but Wietering looks like a gun for Carlton.

I wonder what SOS would have averaged in SuperCoach.

Supercoach didn't exist, but he sucked at DT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back