Unofficial Preview Changes / discussion v Bombers Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Lester had been invisible in the VFL to start this season and somehow Fages picked him regardless. Getting beyond a joke now.
Shane Warne would probably never have played for Australia if lower level form was the primary factor in selection at a higher level.

Nice wind-up of 3KZ is Football by the way 😉

i think the next step for sharp is to get accustomed to how much time he has at afl level

sometimes he overestimated it and got caught in a tackle, other times he kicked the ball when he probably should have ran and had a bounce and looked for a better option. this likely only comes with further exposure in the senior team.

the ground he covered and the spots he put himself in was very pleasing
One of those holding the ball tackles against Sharp was bloody hot, no doubt in my mind if it was Bont, Dusty, Danger and some others it would have been ball up.

Umpires always seem to give the "stars" more time to get rid of the ball and the no names less.

However Charlie Cameron gets scragged every week for little reward from the umpires otherwise he'd be having 100 goal seasons.

Hey Nunez. Under Fagan, team selection seldom, if ever, depends on how the VFL boys go.

Sharp and Lester got selected on the back of performing their roles well in the VFL ;)

Edit: I replied without seeing the quality banter from other posters lol. What a thread.

Hey Nunez I know. Great banter from PattyKwasagun and luthor - especially luthor who has been keeping me real for years.

My substantive point was, returning to your post, that our selection practices tend to have favoured keeping an underperforming player in the seniors in preference to an in form reserves player who can play the same role.

People also should get that there is a heavy dose of (self) parody in my Lester love. We have all observed the phenomenon where supporters will love a player under all circumstances, often in the face of overwhelming evidence that they are potatoes. Just think Sam Sheldon. I originally trialled my ‘unconditional positive hero worship’ years ago on Noel Mugavin, before moving to James Hawksley and now Ryan Lester. It’s a bit of fun.

I know. Great banter from PattyKwasagun and luthor - especially luthor who has been keeping me real for years.

My substantive point was, returning to your post, that our selection practices tend to have favoured keeping an underperforming player in the seniors in preference to an in form reserves player who can play the same role.

People also should get that there is a heavy dose of (self) parody in my Lester love. We have all observed the phenomenon where supporters will love a player under all circumstances, often in the face of overwhelming evidence that they are potatoes. Just think Sam Sheldon. I originally trialled my ‘unconditional positive hero worship’ years ago on Noel Mugavin, before moving to James Hawksley and now Ryan Lester. It’s a bit of fun.
I had that sort of "love" for Nick Robertson... so much so that I got a private message from his dad thanking me for my undying support of him while he was getting piled on on this board.

I had that sort of "love" for Nick Robertson... so much so that I got a private message from his dad thanking me for my undying support of him while he was getting piled on on this board.
I got one from a member of James Hawksley’s family too. 👍

I got one from a member of James Hawksley’s family too. 👍
Other not so loved players that I was a fan of were Jason Roe, Bryce Retzlaff, Joel Macdonald, Aaron Cornelius, Cedric Cox... and Marty Pask but only because my son played junior rep cricket with him, he was a nice polite kid.

All I got from Ryan Bastinac after years of supporting him was a cease and desist letter
I think the daily arrival at his door step asking for a Brew with Basti was the breaking point.

Other not so loved players that I was a fan of were Jason Roe, Bryce Retzlaff, Joel Macdonald, Aaron Cornelius, Cedric Cox... and Marty Pask but only because my son played junior rep cricket with him, he was a nice polite kid.
OMG YES! Remember all the posting week in, week out about Cornelius!? Why won’t Vossie give him a game? Cornelius missed out again! Sack Vossie!

Don’t forget Amon Buchanan.

Nunez I get you're trying to pump him up at every opportunity and good on you for that but being realistic Ah Chee and Prior are a long way ahead of him imo. He looked to play better once the team got into full swing . He didn't give up ,so there were positives . But he gets brushed aside far too easily at this point. It was a big ask for him last night and no knock on him other than we have better players on the list.

While I think Prior and Ah Chee are better players than Sharp at the moment, I think there's a bit of overrating over the former two in comparison, especially for a spot on the wing/half forward.

Sharp came in and had 13 disposals and a goal, which is traditionally about what the other two average when they're in the side. Prior's last game against Collingwood he had 12 disposals and a goal off half back.

I personally wouldn't have gone for Sharp either, but I don't think the other two are dramatically better options that playing Sharp is some sort of mistake.

Like you said the effort is there, equal 4th for pressure acts (behind Dunkley, Neale, Berry and equal with Ashcroft).

At worst, we know he's playable at AFL level as a wing/half forward if required.

I didn't agree with selection of Sharp and Answerth and don't think either played that well. But its hard coming in for one game when young and I dont like how we constantly drop guys after one game. Sharp more than any probably needs more game time to learn how to use his running better. Id probably try and keep both players in for at 2-3 weeks.

At the same time I'm a big believer in resting and rotating the list when you have the chance. A couple of guys are looking a bit sore and tired (despite playing well). About now is time to look at resting them so they don't do a bad hammy in a few weeks as they were reclined.

Wilmot is doing well but dropping off a bit, a break could be handy.
Coleman is struggling to run out games and has had ice on his hammy a few times at the end of games. Maybe when Rich is back he could do with a rest
McCarthy I was critical of early but his pressure has been key the last month. But I'm not sure I've seen a player get battered more than him in that time. I reckon the trainers have been with him limping gingerly more than any player. I would be totally OK with him having a breather.

Its all about getting to the end of the season with as many of our best players fit as possible. We need to look at when we can rest a few to get to the end of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't agree with selection of Sharp and Answerth and don't think either played that well. But its hard coming in for one game when young and I dont like how we constantly drop guys after one game. Sharp more than any probably needs more game time to learn how to use his running better. Id probably try and keep both players in for at 2-3 weeks.

At the same time I'm a big believer in resting and rotating the list when you have the chance. A couple of guys are looking a bit sore and tired (despite playing well). About now is time to look at resting them so they don't do a bad hammy in a few weeks as they were reclined.

Wilmot is doing well but dropping off a bit, a break could be handy.
Coleman is struggling to run out games and has had ice on his hammy a few times at the end of games. Maybe when Rich is back he could do with a rest
McCarthy I was critical of early but his pressure has been key the last month. But I'm not sure I've seen a player get battered more than him in that time. I reckon the trainers have been with him limping gingerly more than any player. I would be totally OK with him having a breather.

Its all about getting to the end of the season with as many of our best players fit as possible. We need to look at when we can rest a few to get to the end of the year
I can only agree that with some strong reserves players who would likely be getting a game at most clubs we have the opportunity to rest players who have physical issues they're dealing with without disrupting our chances to win games. And bringing some extra energy and enthusiasm into the team from guys who'll be anxious to prove themselves.

We don't have to go full kamikaze on it ,just rotate opportunity for the 5 or 6 in waiting and give a player or two a rest for a week.

... That was not the point I was trying to make.

Wilmot has played plenty of good footy this year and plays a pretty thankless role on the wing. After one quarter, people were quite unsavoury towards Harry and plenty who were seemed to stay quiet or double down when he started playing well.

I get we have our favourites and our whipping boys, but footy - and human beings/Footballers are rarely that black and white and football is a four quarter game. You may stink it up one quarter, but then have the next to seek redemption. Harry should be very proud of how he turned his game around and think fans should get behind him. His running and willingness to throw himself into contests played an important role in our 2nd and 3rd quarter dominance.
it is extremely rare for any player (even Dunks on Friday night with kick to Andrews), not to make a mistake, or a couple in 120minutes of high pressure AFL. Sometimes we expect too much from young men, whether a player still developing or a seasoned player.

I only got to watch the replay (have been battling the flu) , but agree as I thought he got better as the game progressed. Big difference between VFL and AFL so takes some of the younger players more time to adjust.

All I got from Ryan Bastinac after years of supporting him was a cease and desist letter

Hiding under his bed so that you could hear his heartbeat at night was just a bridge too far

I can only agree that with some strong reserves players who would likely be getting a game at most clubs we have the opportunity to rest players who have physical issues they're dealing with without disrupting our chances to win games. And bringing some extra energy and enthusiasm into the team from guys who'll be anxious to prove themselves.

We don't have to go full kamikaze on it ,just rotate opportunity for the 5 or 6 in waiting and give a player or two a rest for a week.
Its definitely a balance. Don't want to go too hard and make the team too inexperienced, need to reward vfl players who are ready, and rest guys who need it. Its hard to see that from the outside, I dont think we have done it well in the past (easy to say with hindsight) but if we want to win we need to try and use the whole list better

I think the daily arrival at his door step asking for a Brew with Basti was the breaking point.

I just feel like the phrase “brews with basti” is a bit misleading if I can’t have my own brew with my own basti.

Hiding under his bed so that you could hear his heartbeat at night was just a bridge too far

How was I supposed to know this was illegal. I’m not a lawyer

Hey Nunez I know. Great banter from PattyKwasagun and luthor - especially luthor who has been keeping me real for years.

Now that we have established it’s parody and have had a good laugh because it’s a hilarious bit, can you cease and desist

I just feel like the phrase “brews with basti” is a bit misleading if I can’t have my own brew with my own basti.

How was I supposed to know this was illegal. I’m not a lawyer

It’s not illegal, just frowned upon.

I mean how would you like it if a stranger from Nerang was lying underneath your bed at night.

Wait, don’t answer that.

While I think Prior and Ah Chee are better players than Sharp at the moment, I think there's a bit of overrating over the former two in comparison, especially for a spot on the wing/half forward.

Sharp came in and had 13 disposals and a goal, which is traditionally about what the other two average when they're in the side. Prior's last game against Collingwood he had 12 disposals and a goal off half back.

I personally wouldn't have gone for Sharp either, but I don't think the other two are dramatically better options that playing Sharp is some sort of mistake.

Like you said the effort is there, equal 4th for pressure acts (behind Dunkley, Neale, Berry and equal with Ashcroft).

At worst, we know he's playable at AFL level as a wing/half forward if required.

I don't disagree with you.

When looking at those guys who sit at 21, 22, 23 on depth I tend to preference a higher floor and consistency over someone who might have a higher ceiling but is much more inconsistent. That has been Sharp in the past. But as I said earlier, he is only 20 and is progressing really well and I think he will end up as good if not better than Prior and Ah Chee.

I think we are getting to the stage of our list maturity now, as you have said, where there isn't a lot of difference between certain guys depending on position.

Fagan and the selection committee would be quite right to go in unchanged next week (depending on Coleman’s injury).

But this must be the year we rotate and rest the odd player most weeks. It would do a world of good to have blokes like Ashcroft, Dunkley, Berry, McCluggage, Wilmot, McKenna and McCarthy have a week over the next 6-8 rounds.

And guys like Zorko, Rich, Neale, Gunston and McInerney an extra week’s rest either side of the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back