Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Crows @ Gabba Round 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a look at the heatmap data trying to get an understanding of why Rayners game was so much better than previous week's playing the weird fourth tall role, and it appears this week he spent a lot more time staying out of the centre square and on both wings.

I noticed during the game that Cam was running quite well and even in the fourth was covering the ground well meanwhile his opponent (I think it was Cox?) Looked gassed. It was an odd sight.

Further to this, he managed 12 marks - all of which weren't contested - which given he is a contested marking player is quite an interesting stat.

If he sticks to playing this Tom Lynch style linking role while our KPF do their roles, they may be able to make the three tall structure work. The important thing of note is they absolutely all must play their roles for it to work. I think I'd still lean towards two talls, but this was a step in the right direction.
It looked like he was given license to let the KPF engage their man and come in from the side to take the mark. A couple you could see coming from a mile away, it never looked like our forward or the defender were going to get a touch on the ball.

Out of interest was Berry full time wing on Sunday? Easily his best game since he went beast mode in the semi. If he can produce similar to that consistently it solves the Ashcroft issue somewhat but he doesn’t have a track record of consistency..

If Fagan plays finals with Gunston, I’m thinking dev should come in for jasper due to devs finals experience.
Yes, he played full time wing but lined up on the wing that was more likely to see more play.

I didn’t watch the Crows game last weekend, but I did hear I think them say on First Crack saying Crows are missing half there back line. Aside from Dodee, who else are they missing.

Good to see Mitch Hinge top the coaches votes on their game; has turned into a really nice player and user of the ball.

We did play a huge amount along and through the wings compared to normally. Seemed a tactical change to me.

Berry seemed like playing the wing that moves closer in the the play rather than the one that tends to stay wider on the far side.
He was lined up on Henry for a lot of the game. He had clear physical advantages so I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches exploited the mismatch.

I think we were fumbly around stoppage and have missed Ashcroft's clean hands the last couple of weeks. The player with cleanest hands (outside Neale) at stoppage is Lyons. I think our clearances would improve significantly with him in the side. Just a matter of whether his lack of run would be too costly. Worth consideration.

I was interested to see how we went the last few years after returning from Perth with a 6-day break.

Year 2022: Loss to Dockers on a Sunday then a win v Saints on a Saturday by 21 points.
Year 2021: Win over Dockers on a Sunday then a win V Pies on a Saturday by 85 points.

Prior to that was the covid years.
Let's hope we can keep that winning record up this week.

Adelaide form since they beat us.
Looks to me like if we contain Taylor, we go a long way to winning the game.
Dawson and Laird also getting plenty of the footy.
Since our loss to the Crows, they have not won away from AO.
However, they had close losses to the Pies by 2 and Dees by 4.
A lot on the line for both teams so should be a good contest.

1691395457935.png

I didn’t watch the Crows game last weekend, but I did hear I think them say on First Crack saying Crows are missing half there back line. Aside from Dodee, who else are they missing.

Good to see Mitch Hinge top the coaches votes on their game; has turned into a really nice player and user of the ball.

Their other top key defenders are out with season ending injuries too (Murray ACL, Butts a foot fracture I think).

What I would like to see:

Ins: O, Dev, Kiddy

Outs: Fort, Prior, Gunston

What is most likely:

Ins: O, Kiddy

Out: Fort, Prior
That is what I would like to see, and I agree with what is most likely.

No way Jack Gunston is getting omitted for the rest of the season unless he puts in a couple of absolute stinkers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we were fumbly around stoppage and have missed Ashcroft's clean hands the last couple of weeks. The player with cleanest hands (outside Neale) at stoppage is Lyons. I think our clearances would improve significantly with him in the side. Just a matter of whether his lack of run would be too costly. Worth consideration.
We're certainly crying out for someone to shoulder more of the midfield load. If it isn't Dev then I think Lyon's would be a worthy option, although definitely not like for like in terms of replacing the run that Ashcroft offered. IMO giving that vacant midfield spot to any one player would be far more beneficial than the merry-go-round we've had in there over the past two weeks. So far the whole "sharing the load" strategy has not really worked.

That's a big problem then imo.

The big problem isn't three talls, it's three talls and Rayner not gelling. I thought Sundays game was the first time I felt they all looked to have defined roles and played them in a high pressure game. If they can keep that up then three talls will work.

The big problem isn't three talls, it's three talls and Rayner not gelling. I thought Sundays game was the first time I felt they all looked to have defined roles and played them in a high pressure game. If they can keep that up then three talls will work.
Na. It was Freo.

Pressure game on the MCG against a strong opposition geed up for finals is a different proposition when they have a clear plan to exploit our weaknesses. I'm happy for 3 talls if they're all good players with the agility to keep up with their opponents.

Pointless going over it all . Time will tell.

Na. It was Freo.

Pressure game on the MCG against a strong opposition geed up for finals is a different proposition when they have a clear plan to exploit our weaknesses. I'm happy for 3 talls if they're all good players with the agility to keep up with their opponents.

Pointless going over it all . Time will tell.

That comment does a massive disservice to the pressure Fremantle put on. It was top shelf finals level pressure for four quarters. The data backs that up.

I am on record saying I'd prefer two talls, but we saw how the structure could hold up in a high pressure game. It absolutely relies on all four to play their roles, but when they do it was literally what won us the match.

Apart from Doedee:

Nick Murray did his ACL against Melbourne a few weeks ago (CHB)

Jordan Butts foot fracture (somewhere) against the Power and out for the season (FB)

Jones out with a linsfranc injury against Suns (though he's been playing mostly on wing of late)

Replaced with Borlase (1 game), Keane (7 games - 2 for Adelaide and 5 for Collingwood) and Nankervis (2 games) .. other defenders include Worrell (14 games), Michalanney (19 games)

Hinge was probably BOG against GC .. is having a great season :thumbsu:

Rankine looks like being available after a 3 weeks off with a hamstring injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back