Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Qualifying Final 2023 v Port @ The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone interested in doing a preview for our first final please PM me.

Edit: thanks mpal6 ! If anyone else is still interested I'll also take expressions of interest for our second final, whoever and whenever that might be.

Last edited:
Because Jo is used as ruck relief i do prefer the 3 tall forwards setup.
However, when you have someone like Rayner you can get away with him being that 3rd tall even though he is a little undersized.

I was firmly in the Gunston camp early in the season.
But his form was so up and down he deserved to be dropped or the training block as it was called.
His first 2 games back showed us what he is capable of but then his form was back to up and down again.
Then the knee injury that looked at the time season ending.
I hope he is not ready for the Port game so there are no selection issues.
If he is ready, it will be 4 weeks without playing.
I assume not much of a training block. Just getting the knee treated then a late test.

Assuming Fagan and the coaches believe he is still best 22 even with a possible reoccurring knee issue.
Be it next week or the following weeks I would much rather him as sub than having to sub him off if not performing.

Coaches over time have made gambles on players fitness during finals.
Some pay off a lot do not.

If Gunston plays again, I will spit the dummy. We r a better team without him.

Xperiment failed, Fages - and if you have not learned by now, well...........

Two players who I think are almost naturals on their non-preferred and is our own Linc McCarthy and Crows’ Tex Walker. Neither so much as flinches when needing to do so like Aka.
I’d consider Cam Rayner as well, excellent on his left, Hugh is as well. Those our two other standouts in our team IMO.
While I’m thinking of it Zorks is really natural in his left.

I'll help set the scene.

Its grand final day. First 5 minutes. Everyone is nervous, except Gunners. Gunners kicks 2 in the first 5 minutes and settles the entire team. Gunners is invaluable. He will be back. Mark my words.
Elixuh BRAB Nunez have been enjoying a very public Gunston - Un troisième grand homme pour trois.

Last edited:
Standing up in finals. 👑

So the hope is that an impressive player during h&a in years past who stood up in finals in those years, can come back into a team where he wasn't impressive during the h&a year* and suddenly be impressive in finals.

* a couple of good games when players around him had poor games does not deserve a free pass.

Love an optimist, but gee whiz it's risking the farm on pre-lions performance.

So the hope is that an impressive player during h&a in years past who stood up in finals in those years, can come back into a team where he wasn't impressive during the h&a year* and suddenly be impressive in finals.

* a couple of good games when players around him had poor games does not deserve a free pass.

Love an optimist, but gee whiz it's risking the farm on pre-lions performance.

Embrace it. Gunston is King.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard a few in the media over the last week saying this is our last chance to win a flag in this window... bullshite and clickbait.

Still a good few years left in our next age group down best 22 players behind Zorko.

Neale(30), Daniher(29) and Cameron(29) still have 2-3 seasons minimum of very good footy left in them IMO. The next important group age wise after these 3 are 26 or younger so have 5+ years left eg. Dunkely(26), Andrews(26), Hipwood/Ah Chee/Berry/McCluggage all 25 years old.

I have heard a few in the media over the last week saying this is our last chance to win a flag in this window... bullshite and clickbait.

Still a good few years left in our next age group down best 22 players behind Zorko.

Neale(30), Daniher(29) and Cameron(29) still have 2-3 seasons minimum of very good footy left in them IMO. The next important group age wise after these 3 are 26 or younger so have 5+ years left eg. Dunkely(26), Andrews(26), Hipwood/Ah Chee/Berry/McCluggage all 25 years old.
Yeah we are in a great position to win a flag this year but I still think we can compete next year and beyond. Longer term we have some great young players developing already which could lead to a sustained run of making finals for many years to come. Rayner, Bailey, Starcevich, Payne, Coleman, Wilmot, WAshcroft, Fletcher, Levi end of next year.

Would be great if Henry Smith developed into a handy ruckman. I’d feel a lot more confident longer term outlook if we had a developing key forward who looked the goods. Bit of a shame Jacob Van Rooyen was selected with the pick before we drafted Kai Lohmann. We need to try and find one in the next couple drafts otherwise we may end up in a position where we need to trade for one to stay in top 4 contention.

I kept waiting for that song to improve unlike our team we all follow.

Go Lions.:brisbane:;):)
I love this song - ‘Kings Lead Hat’ is an anagram of Talking Heads. Eno was a fan and ended up producing a number of their albums, including the classic, ‘Remain in Light’.
1693722807182.jpeg
This album features possibly my favourite Talking Heads track and you can really hear the Eno influence.

As far as favourite Talking Heads song goes, it is ‘Burning Down The House’ by a short half (talking) head.

Nunez - thoughts?

Last edited:
YAY! It's game week, can not wait for Saturday night, I am extremely confident of a convincing Lions win, we will lift to our best footy of the Fagan era this finals series IMO.

The team is what it is. Our forward line needs to take its chances and covert. Hipwood needs to take marks in scoring position not on the wing or up the ground. He is A 150 game CHF.Time to stand up or we deserve what we get.

I love this song - ‘Kings Lead Hat’ is an anagram of Talking Heads. Eno was a fan and ended up producing a number of their albums, including the classic, ‘Remain in Light’.
View attachment 1793137
This album features possibly my favourite Talking Heads track and you can really hear the Eno influence.

As far as favourite Talking Heads song goes, it is ‘Burning Down The House’ by a short half (talking) head.

Nunez - thoughts?

Love me some TH. Speaking In Tongues is one of my favourite albums ever made.

The team is what it is. Our forward line needs to take its chances and covert. Hipwood needs to take marks in scoring position not on the wing or up the ground. He is A 150 game CHF.Time to stand up or we deserve what we get.
Hippy played pretty well in the finals series last season, if he goes to another level on top of that look out he could tear the finals series apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back