Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Cats Round 19 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he is selected in seniors or comes back through the VFL?
People do realise that Dunkley was in the team when we lost to Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Footscray and were spanked by Hawthorn. It’s not like having him in the side guarantees a win. It will be nice to have him back, but people need to keep things in perspective.

Gunners can’t be in the side if it makes Rayner play like last week. It also affected Hipwood’s performance. If Gunners isn’t in the side it also stops the s**t show last 10 minute defensive option.
Bring in players who can play a role like Sharp, Dev, Ah-Chee.
Berry out.
Lyons out.
Rest Big O.
Zorko’s kicking and vision keep him in.
Lester stays.

Another take on the loss was our sloooooow start. 4 goals to zip ain’t good.

Nice to see the injury list back down to just 3 players.
Got to feel for Carter Michael
AFL debut July 10th 2022 v Bombers. 8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles 1 goal.
Back to VFL the next week with 22 disposals.
Injured in his next VFL game and has been on the injury list from then on, i think.
So, next week will mark 12 months without playing a VFL or AFL game.
To make it worse for him he is OOC this year.

INJURY LIST

Carter Michael – quad- TBC

James Madden – shoulder – TBC

Noah Answerth – facial fracture – 3-4 weeks

This isn’t exactly the right place, but posting here as it’s more likely to be seen!

Anyone planning on cheering the boys on against Collingwood 18 August at Marvel, i’d advise you to get your tickets ASAP. Reserved seating is almost sold out, i would expect GA isn’t too far behind. Tickets available from Ticketmaster.

Really should be noted that statistically going long down the line is the safest way to exit the back 50. It has the highest chance of the ball getting neutralised by either getting knocked out or getting to ground and locking it in for a stoppage. It also has the lowest chance of scoring off it.

Going down the other (empty wing), short or long down the middle are all more likely to score off but much more likely to stuff it up and concede.

But this is completely a statistical view of how to exit the ball and doesnt really take into account who you are playing against (Gawn being probably one of the worst people to kick it at) and how many times in a row we attempted it for little success.

Thought Mike Whiting said the obvious really well on the podcast today - from the 7 minute mark to go we just lost basically every single contest. So yeah, game plan and being too conservative a big factor and should have changed what we are doing but also guys could just win or neutralise some contests and we probably win.

Re the kick outs I do wonder if Dunkley not playing was a factor there (in addition to the midfield impact) - we have actually targeted a few long kick outs specifically at him as a target when his opponent is a mid and we might have tried that a few times. As it was with bez subbed out, the opposite wing target was Dev and I don't have a heap of confidence there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn’t exactly the right place, but posting here as it’s more likely to be seen!

Anyone planning on cheering the boys on against Collingwood 18 August at Marvel, i’d advise you to get your tickets ASAP. Reserved seating is almost sold out, i would expect GA isn’t too far behind. Tickets available from Ticketmaster.
I gather it hasn't been designated as a fully ticketed game? Members can stiil just roll up and walk in with their membership ticket without having to pre book a seat?

Clubs have fine tuned this long down the line even further this season. Defenders aim for the spot inside the boundary line rather than any player so the ball drops just enough to take one bounce and go over the line. This way its difficult to mark for both teams and any minor contest is enough to take it over the line. We started doing it in some games but I've seen this fade away and we're back to kicking on top of player's heads again.
I have seen that happening, but at the same time late in a game with a slight lead I can understand bringing it slightly back inboard from the boundary a bit more. Too risky to have it kicked out on the full if its miskicked.

Re the kick outs I do wonder if Dunkley not playing was a factor there (in addition to the midfield impact) - we have actually targeted a few long kick outs specifically at him as a target when his opponent is a mid and we might have tried that a few times. As it was with bez subbed out, the opposite wing target was Dev and I don't have a heap of confidence there.
I think you could be right Dunkley and Berry are probably our best marking mids (no surprise as bigger taller guys). I was sitting over the 50m line over where Dev was and you could see them look at him and not trust he could win the 1on1 or 2on2 marking contest. Again I dont blame them but keeps speaking to me that Dev isnt a natural winger and subbing him out there shouldnt be a normal tactic. It doesnt suit him

West Coast's list is in a far worse state than Norths. It's just that injuries are hiding that, at the moment.

Yes and no. Norths list is disproportionately old for a team of its shitness and given the time they have been down at the bottom of the ladder. You could argue their rebuild is an abject failure and that west coast is really just starting on that path now.

Can we please wait for briztoon to respond to me re the state of norths list before locking this thread. I think I made some astute observations and really want to hash it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back