Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Cats Round 19 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Jack Gunston, Jarryd Lyons, Jarrod Berry.

Ins- Callum Ah Chee, Dev Robertson, Josh Dunkley.

Berry is just not consistent enough, give him a couple of games in the VFL.

Rayner lucky to stay in, invisible tonight against the Dees.

Gunston is just not sharp enough against the top sides, 3 goals but an absolute passenger in defence, I will be pissed if he is not dropped.

Do not bring back Rich.

Fort for Oscar. Worst game I can remember a ruckman playing

Dunkley, Matho or Dev in that order for Lyons

Ah Chee for Zorko who's clearly not up to it any more

Gunston gets another chance. Lester lucky as well

Fort for Oscar. Worst game I can remember a ruckman playing

Dunkley, Matho or Dev in that order for Lyons

Ah Chee for Zorko who's clearly not up to it any more

Gunston gets another chance. Lester lucky as well
I wouldn't be giving Gunston another chance, he is not going to get any quicker, agree that Lester was shown up for pace a few times tonight, worst game since he has come back into the side.

Zorko stays in.. and should IMO.

Matho has been out for a month with a hammy I think, he wont be coming back, maybe Tunstill?

Gunston is just not sharp enough against the top sides, 3 goals but an absolute passenger in defence, I will be pissed if he is not dropped.

Do not bring back Rich.

If berry is fit he plays - he was excellent the 3-4 games before his injury.

I wouldn't be giving Gunston another chance, he is not going to get any quicker, agree that Lester was shown up for pace a few times tonight, worst game since he has come back into the side.

Zorko stays in.. and should IMO.

Matho has been out for a month with a hammy I think, he wont be coming back, maybe Tunstill?

I think replacing Zorko with someone who can run and pressure in Ah Chee gives us a chance to make Gunston work. Especially at the gabba

If berry is fit he plays - he was excellent the 3-4 games before his injury.
Not sure he should’ve been out there tonight. He looked to be labouring the whole game. I guess with Dunks not getting up they wanted the option of using Bez defensively, although that seemed a bit redundant due to the fact he could hardly run anyway.

Do not bring back Rich.

Tonight's set up doesn't give Rayner a chance. He's trying to stay out of hippy, Joe and gunston's space. Just doesn't work.

Get rid of Gunston and Rayner goes ok.

He did seem hesitant to attack the footy. Need to let him loose

Gunston upsets the rhythm of this forward line. And what he brings isn't enough to make up for that.

I think Fagan desperately wants gunston to be hodge mark 2. A footy genius who can nudge and wink at the team and coach wins from on field.

Game looking tight? Move gunston back and he will settle the group, set up the plays and we'll be fine.

Gunston isn't hodge.

Out: Gunston, Berry, Lyons, Zorko
In: Fullerton, Sharp, Dunkley, Lohmann

Dev takes a spot in the middle. If Fagan really doesn’t want a two ruck setup for Omac and Joe then put in Fullerton for Gunston. Sharp takes Berry’s spot. Running machine. Lohmann for Zorko. Dunkley is obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston upsets the rhythm of this forward line. And what he brings isn't enough to make up for that.

I think Fagan desperately wants gunston to be hodge mark 2. A footy genius who can nudge and wink at the team and coach wins from on field.

Game looking tight? Move gunston back and he will settle the group, set up the plays and we'll be fine.

Gunston isn't hodge.

I thought Gunners was pretty good tonight, really. The problem is more with the three tall forwards rather than specifically with him. Can't see Hippy or Joe getting dropped though, so it probably does have to be him.

I thought Gunners was pretty good tonight, really. The problem is more with the three tall forwards rather than specifically with him. Can't see Hippy or Joe getting dropped though, so it probably does have to be him.

He was ok when he was playing against Petty up forward, but couldn't make a contest against Joel Smith when they subbed him on (not that all the kicks were to advantage - but they were there to be brought to ground).

He was ok when he was playing against Petty up forward, but couldn't make a contest against Joel Smith when they subbed him on (not that all the kicks were to advantage - but they were there to be brought to ground).

Yeah fair call. That was surprising. I'd still have him out of the team for Ah Chee personally, but think his overall output tonight was probably similar to Hipwood's who isn't facing much/any criticism.

Obviously lyons will go out for Dunkley. But the player for me who is finished is Berry. Not sure why we persist. 1 good game and 5 or so ok games in his career. Fletcher already gone past him and Dev Robertson is also another better option.

Berry makes me sad. So good at footy but has destroyed his shoulders and that may cut his career short.

Berry makes me think of lynch saying he had multiple shoulder reconstructions but still couldn't pick up his kids when they were babies.

Long time to live after footy with a wrecked body. Hope he wasn't after a career as a builder.

Yeah fair call. That was surprising. I'd still have him out of the team for Ah Chee personally, but think his overall output tonight was probably similar to Hipwood's who isn't facing much/any criticism.

Eel had a terrible game but has been in terrific form recently where unfortunately gunners has been not great all year. I don't think you can really compare the two.
I'd still persist with gunners and see what happens.

Out: Gunston, Berry, Rayner
In: Fort, Ah Chee, Robertson

Rayner may as well not played last night, because he certainly didn’t turn up. We’ve had this rubbish from him before in big games. It is time he got sent a strong message. Since his first game, he has been Fagan’s ultimate pet and he plays like a bloke who doesn’t have to worry about getting selected. He has never played like he values his spot in the team and he has to earn it. He’s had good games, but you could count his four quarter efforts on one hand. Fagan needs to make a statement, to the players and about himself. Rayner had 8 disposals for the game and had 2 disposals in a half of football. This version of Rayner is always going to ultimately let us down. He needs to reinvent himself and Fagan needs to stop treating him like his favourite kid brother. Rayner gives the impression that AFL football is about doing podcasts and choreographing whacky goal celebrations. He needs to grow up. He failed us badly last night.

Last edited:
Out: McInerney, Lyons, Gunston

In: Fort, Dunkley, Ah Chee

They should be the easiest selection calls Fages and the MC will ever hope to make. Tough on O but a combination of form and need for a spell. I wouldn’t play him in the VFL, just rest him.

Dev also comes in but it will be a bit tougher who he replaces. There are plenty of candidates: Berry, Zorko, Rayner. I’d go with Berry - his body just can’t be trusted at the moment. It’d be so frustrating for him. Zorko as sub.

I’m not on the ‘sack Fages’ bandwagon but surely he and the team around him see we need speed and accountability. They had the guts to bring Fletcher in and look what happened!! There is not one coach in the history of the game who didn’t have “favourites” but he must see Rich and Gunston are not the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back