Unofficial Preview Changes and discussion v Cats Round 19 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel like playing week 1 away to Port and winning is not out of realm of possibility and then week off and home prelim would be ideal

We could beat any of the top four home or away week one IMO.

All of the top four have question marks but all are capable of winning the flag.

In - Dunkley (if fit) - Ah Chee and Dev Robertson.

Out - Lyons - Berry and make Zorko sub.

If Dunkley - Ah Chee and Robertson play entire match last night we don't lose.

Gunston needs to perform every week for me to stay in side. He won't get dropped because he kicked 3 goals last night.

Rich I think is 25/26th best player now. Can't carry his lack of speed or accountability.
I’d go this way as well, except I’d swap out Oscar for Fort too
In Fort Ah Chee Dunkley Dev
Out O Gunston Lyons Berry

I’d also be tempted to replace Zorko with more run, Sharp, Lohmann or Tunstill.

We need more running power. The old guys are not it anymore. The coaches need to trust what the younger players can bring. Look at what Ashcroft, Fletcher and Wilmot have offered this year over guys like Rich and Lyons.
This suggestion is good too. When Melbourne got that run on late us carrying guys who can’t run was very evident. And not the first time this has happened.

Reckon Geelong have just as much chance as the other 4 now. You can be sure as hell, no other team wants to run into them at any stage during the finals.

Geelong feel eerily like Richmond of last year.

I've been pretty down on Oscar most of the year to be fair, and plays a position I think we could look to upgrade. Tbh this game wasn't that different to the rest of his season, except Gawn played out of his skin and actually showed him up. We were obviously lucky to have Gawn go down early in the early season match up.

All that said, no way Fagan drops him.

I'm in the boat with most that moving back to the Ah Chee / Rayner instead of Gunston forward line is the way to go. The midfield balance was the problem though not the half back rebound. The only true hope there is Dunkley.

Geelong is a quality team but they have similar issues to us in that they are quite tall and on the slower end. Their skill level and system is top class and that makes them hard to beat. If we play our best possible pressure/ running side (ie sacrifice a tall or poor pressure mid) then we will give ourselves the best chance of winning.

Also if there is one guarantee this match then it’s Hawkins kicking minimum 5 straight. Loves us.

I feel like this is the kind of game we have won over the last few years. Back at home at the Gabba after a disappointing less with backs against the wall, emotions high etc. Pies and Swans earlier this year, EF against Richmond, Blues and Bulldogs last year etc.

I've been pretty down on Oscar most of the year to be fair, and plays a position I think we could look to upgrade. Tbh this game wasn't that different to the rest of his season, except Gawn played out of his skin and actually showed him up. We were obviously lucky to have Gawn go down early in the early season match up.

All that said, no way Fagan drops him.

I'm in the boat with most that moving back to the Ah Chee / Rayner instead of Gunston forward line is the way to go. The midfield balance was the problem though not the half back rebound. The only true hope there is Dunkley.
We need more ruck class.

And there's Grundy running aroung in the VFL.

Come on. Make the call.

Cats back into Premiership winning form, next Saturday afternoon is going to be darn tough.

Payne to Hawkins, has Lester got the ability to go to Cameron so Andrews can be free to play as the main interceptor?
Before payne injured his ankle a few weeks back I thought he might again get the matchup on Rohan but not sure now, seems to be slightly hampered. Maybe Starc on Rohan. Payne v Hawkins and Harris on Cameron, not confident lester can take Rohan or Cameron

Berry makes me sad. So good at footy but has destroyed his shoulders and that may cut his career short.

Berry makes me think of lynch saying he had multiple shoulder reconstructions but still couldn't pick up his kids when they were babies.

Long time to live after footy with a wrecked body. Hope he wasn't after a career as a builder.
Shoulders might be part of the reason…

But I would say his excessive drinking habit would be more of the reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you watch the last quarter you will see Gawn dominating the match. The last time we played Melbourne Gawn dominated Fort early but Fort went over the top of him in the second half.

Having Fort as the sub was a no brainer for me. A completely fresh Fort would have halved many of the contested marks , hit outs to advantage and clearances Gawn had in that last quarter. Dev is a battling AFL player. Nothing more.

Geelong do not have a Gawn so I am not sure we need Fort in the side this week.

Rayner and Berry go out for me.

Dunks and Ah Chee in
I'm with you, but would drop Oscar to.

My outs would be Berry, Rayner, McInerney, Gunston and with ins being Ah Chee, Lohmann Cockatoo, Fort and Zorko to sub.

What will happen - omissions will only come from Robertson, Letser and Lyons (remembering Fagan has never dropped anyone else in the starting 23 in his tenure) and who knows who he'll bring in - they'll get a week or two and be dropped if we dont get any injuries.

At no stage EVER in Fagans tenure has a statement been made at the selection table, so you cant imagine it happening now.

I think we probably need a 5+ goal victory this week to show we're the real deal. We're a 4-5 goal better team at home but we need to play well enough to show we can beat them at any venue

Just watched the middle two quarters and for me Gunston stays for the moment. Had the Lions kept up the attack he could have ended up with four or five. Perhaps his best role would be as sub. If the goals dry up then he may have to go

Just watched the middle two quarters and for me Gunston stays for the moment. Had the Lions kept up the attack he could have ended up with four or five. Perhaps his best role would be as sub. If the goals dry up then he may have to go
I wanted to go back and watch parts of the game but couldn't bring myself to do it after knowing the result. Was he matched up on Petty for his goals? Only reason I ask is because I've seen 80 year old floor tilers with a healthier back than what Petty had on Friday night. Let's be honest, he shouldn't have played for them.

Edit. I know once you go out there you're fair game, but some perspective should be had also, if his goals were kicked on him.

I wanted to go back and watch parts of the game but couldn't bring myself to do it after knowing the result. Was he matched up on Petty for his goals? Only reason I ask is because I've seen 80 year old floor tilers with a healthier back than what Petty had on Friday night. Let's be honest, he shouldn't have played for them.

Edit. I know once you go out there you're fair game, but some perspective should be had also, if his goals were kicked on him.

One was setup by an amazing Kiddy kick. 99 out of 100 other footballers wouldn't have made that kick

Eel had a terrible game but has been in terrific form recently where unfortunately gunners has been not great all year. I don't think you can really compare the two.
I'd still persist with gunners and see what happens.
But we have persisted for 13 games or something like that and the same weaknesses are still apparent.

We need to work out what we want to do with Rayner. As a third tall, his role was defined and he was able to perform in it. As a whatever forward, he's a little like a jack of some trades, master of none.

Would be a very hard position to play.
Agree with this. I would also say the same thing about when he was in defence. He had an easily identified role and played it well enough. I wouldn't change the defence at the moment, although reading Kiddies low ToG makes me question about throwing Rayner in Kiddy's spot until he can play out more of the game.

I am not in the camp that believe Coleman has a fitness issue.
His low 68% TOG yesterday could be they preferred the other 4 players out on the field, or he just had trouble getting on the ground at stages.
Colemans TOG average for the last 4 games was 80%.
As dlanod mentioned Andrews and Payne basically stay on the ground all the time.
That leaves himself and the others that need a break.
Yesterday TOG were Lester 85%, Wilmot & Starch 84% and McKenna 82%
If Fagan is going to persist having a winger dropping back in defense late in the game (he has all year) than utilize Coleman for this job.
That may bring his TOG up to around 85% which he should easily be able to achieve.
The Lions play better overall and have a much better attacking game when Coleman is on the field.
I would rather an actual defender being loose in defense than any other player.
However, doing this will require all 7 defenders on the ground for the last 2-3 minutes of each quarter which should be manageable.
That is so crazy it just might work.
I think the reason to drop Gunston or Rayner back though is because they have the size to impact a marking contest. Kiddy, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back