Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Dockers in Perth Round 21.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Prior had a shocker against Hawthorn, but he very much looked like a player who was in shock. The fact that he was having to cover for Rich, who was refusing to chase and actually running away from contests, impacted on his game. Given the way Fagan dispenses MULLIGANS, I think it would not be unfair to give Prior another shot. His game against Hawthorn was no worse than Rayner or Berry’s against Melbourne and they seem to get picked every week regardless.
I have Prior in the list of players who we have badly mismanaged. Hes like a reverse Rayner in always getting dropped no matter his form. Never been given a solid block of games in one spot.

I remember him coming on as a sub and having a big impact for a quarter, but then nope dropped for someone who has done even less.

I kinda hope he leaves and has a good career elsewhere as he's clearly not getting a proper go here

I have Prior in the list of players who we have badly mismanaged. Hes like a reverse Rayner in always getting dropped no matter his form. Never been given a solid block of games in one spot.

I remember him coming on as a sub and having a big impact for a quarter, but then nope dropped for someone who has done even less.

I kinda hope he leaves and has a good career elsewhere as he's clearly not getting a proper go here
Priors game against Hawthorn was very bad, but I mainly think he hasn't been getting a game because the position he offers has mostly.been where our good players have been.

As a wing, Fletcher / Berry have been solid and then it's been an extra mid in Bailey / McClugg and now Ah Chee filling that role. Across half back it's been McKenna / Wilmot / Coleman who have all been pretty good. Of that list I would say Berry has been our least effectual, but we keep him in to try and move him into the middle if teams are getting away from us (not saying we do this well or effectively but it's the idea at least).

I'm not sure it's been some great conspiracy to keep him out of the team.

We do need that many if:
Our forward line consists of Daniher, Hipwood, Rayner, Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, with Lohmann on the bench.

Especially when there will be times when we're playing with only one tall up forward. Or Bailey or Rayner are rotating through the midfield.

Lohmann is only 1 centimetre shooter than Rayner, and he's got a fair leap as well. There are times where he could ne playing third or even second tall.
I still think thats too many pure "small" forwards in there with Bailey has a half half. We are screaming out for another proper mid to rotate through the middle but none of Cameron, McCarthy or Lohman are capable. Rayner barely is too.

Let alone if we continue to rotate McCluggage or Zorko onto the flank

Priors game against Hawthorn was very bad, but I mainly think he hasn't been getting a game because the position he offers has mostly.been where our good players have been.

As a wing, Fletcher / Berry have been solid and then it's been an extra mid in Bailey / McClugg and now Ah Chee filling that role. Across half back it's been McKenna / Wilmot / Coleman who have all been pretty good. Of that list I would say Berry has been our least effectual, but we keep him in to try and move him into the middle if teams are getting away from us (not saying we do this well or effectively but it's the idea at least).

I'm not sure it's been some great conspiracy to keep him out of the team.
I do agree at the moment its a hard ask and personally think McCluggage should be more on the wing than not.

But he has been dropped for guys like Sharp and Tunstill or Mitch Robbo last year who were doing even less. He has never got a good run at it no matter his form

Priors last AFL game was terrible and even though he had a heap of ball on the weekend, his disposal was very average. Brain showed more in his first game off half back than Prior did, and he had half the touches.

I do agree at the moment its a hard ask and personally think McCluggage should be more on the wing than not.

But he has been dropped for guys like Sharp and Tunstill or Mitch Robbo last year who were doing even less. He has never got a good run at it no matter hi
I agree with what you are saying and I also rate Prior. He's probably beat across half back, perhaps a shorter replacement for Lester to get more drive off half back.

I also agree with your assessment of our small forwards. Not enough midpower coming from our HFF, its why I agree that dropping Gunston for Dev makes the most sense. I'd rather have a team of mids being pushed to the half forward line then trying to shoehorn HFFs into the middle.

For example, McCluggage is a very dangerous player around goals, but instead he's resting on the wing when not on the ball. The dude kicked like 3 goals a game playing as a forward mid in his junior career. Probably an exaggeration but the concept is there.

If you are Jarryd Lyons, who is contracted next year, you would not be blamed if you put the cue in the rack, turned up, went through the motions, collected your pay check and not really give a damn. We were down a midfielder and despite your outstanding record at the Lions, Fagan selected Lohmann and Tunstill before you.
You‘re been watching the vfl?

Out: Gunston, Fletcher
In: Dev, Bailey

Zorko won’t be dropped (unless they manage him this week).

Maybe give Fletcher a week off leading into finals. Can’t play all 3 of Gunston, Joe and Hippy. Unless we dominate territory then we get burnt on rebound too much. Must go smaller now.

Freo away always tricky and if they get their game going we need to be at our best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope that Rayner doesn’t get dropped and it seems unlikely. His lack of impact is more down to how we are using him than anything else. He is a damaging player when he can play the game that most naturally comes to him - hybrid third tall/brief damaging midfield minutes/ general mayhem creator in the forward half.

He isn’t a full time midfielder but he is a boutique midfielder - short sharp bursts at the right stage of the game, moving between deep forward to midfield where he can have impact and involvement. Set Rayner on a mission to mark or bring to ground anything in the air forward of centre in the corridor and to pressure and take down any opposition player in his vicinity. A straight forward role that defines the player he is.

Then Hipwood can roam on long leads which he has developed a taste for, Joe can just be Joe, Charlie can Charlie and Linc and Bailey or a resting mid, along with Rayner, can create pressure and scoring opportunities.

I think I would have a pattern where a mid like Clug rests forward for five minutes a quarter, Rayner goes in the middle and gets busy, then he goes forward again right in the corridor, deep or further upfield as the situation warrants. Rayner is the one I want crashing packs right in front, so Hipwood and Joe can either lead at 45 or float in from the side to take the marks. And the smalls can feed off the ground ball.

Only highlights and replays.
I didn’t watch it all yesterday. funnily enough just mainly the first and last quarters, which were the Lions best. At some stage watching both Lyon and Matho the thought “checked out“ can to mind, probably for the reasons you listed. I thought you may have picked up on it too.

the lions attempted a bit of a come back in the last. I thought Dev and Prior were the leaders of this renewed effort. Fullerton showed a bit of aggression in the ruck. And Blake took a great mark and kicked a beautiful long goal. Smith took a couple of marks around the ground, but the coast recovered a waltz away again.

I would hope that Rayner doesn’t get dropped and it seems unlikely. His lack of impact is more down to how we are using him than anything else. He is a damaging player when he can play the game that most naturally comes to him - hybrid third tall/brief damaging midfield minutes/ general mayhem creator in the forward half.

He isn’t a full time midfielder but he is a boutique midfielder - short sharp bursts at the right stage of the game, moving between deep forward to midfield where he can have impact and involvement. Set Rayner on a mission to mark or bring to ground anything in the air forward of centre in the corridor and to pressure and take down any opposition player in his vicinity. A straight forward role that defines the player he is.

Then Hipwood can roam on long leads which he has developed a taste for, Joe can just be Joe, Charlie can Charlie and Linc and Bailey or a resting mid, along with Rayner, can create pressure and scoring opportunities.

I think I would have a pattern where a mid like Clug rests forward for five minutes a quarter, Rayner goes in the middle and gets busy, then he goes forward again right in the corridor, deep or further upfield as the situation warrants. Rayner is the one I want crashing packs right in front, so Hipwood and Joe can either lead at 45 or float in from the side to take the marks. And the smalls can feed off the ground ball.

I can only hope someone from Lions inner sanctum sees this.

Out - McInerney, Zorko, Rayner
In - Fort, Bailey, Dev

I’d like Rayner to play midfield. Training block to return to play more midfield time.
Zorko replaces Tunstill as sub, and is the sub for the rest of the season.

There's a part of me thinks we're half done . We really needed to win that Melbourne game. It's just the lapses in energy levels from the sublime to putrid that are concerning.

Comments from those inside the club seems like top 4 will be a good result. According to them.

Anything can happen from there in theory , a good side gearing up for finals would handle Freo next week so let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back