Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be good for him to get the responsibility of getting dangerous enough to make Lever accountable

Loved his work up the ground today and this season. He's such a luxury in the sense that we can play him as a third tall or half forward and can impact in both roles.

In: Dunkley, McCarthy, Berry
Out: Madden, Lyons, Fletcher/Robertson

Really, Zorko shouldn't hold his spot on performance but realistically it was his warm up heading into this game and we can expect a better performance.

I hate dropping one of Fletcher or Robertson, but short of electing to use McCarthy as the sub I just can't see how one doesn't lose their spot.

Dunks back in if fit as is Berry. Madden out and Lyons out if Dunks is in.

Ah Chee not even mentioned yet is clearly a best 22 calibre player and rated.

Good luck to the coaches selecting this week.

FB Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB McKenna, Andrews, Coleman
W McCluggage, Robertson, Berry
HF Bailey, Daniher, McCarthy
FF Rayner, Hipwood, Cameron
Foll McInerney, Dunkley, Neale
Int Lyons, Ashcroft, Wilmot, Fort

Sub Zorko

We need two rucks against Melbourne, which is why Fort is in. Fagan won’t leave Gunston out, but he should. Hard to know who will “come up” in terms of fitness, so this is just what I believe is my best 22.

EDIT - I didn't mean to drop Cameron. I fixed it.

Last edited:

FF Rayner, Hipwood, Ah Chee

Sub Zorko

We need two rucks against Melbourne, which is why Fort is in. Fagan won’t leave Gunston out, but he should. Hard to know who will “come up” in terms of fitness, so this is just what I believe is my best 22.
Fort is an interesting one. He and Gunston played against Melbourne in round 2 and obviously that was successful - even with Gawn subbed out we were not outrun.

But the team v tiges had such good run, i’d be worried about adding Gunston and then Fort to it for an MCG match.

I can’t recall Melbourne dismantling too many teams in the ruck this year, and they won’t be stretching us with their tall forwards which were a resting ruck plus Brown on the weekend. If JVR comes in Lester can take him. No Fritsch.

The big question mark with all of that would be Daniher competing properly. So if we are going one ruck i’d be revving up Joe to really have an impact. Does he respond to that? Probably not haha would just smile

Fort is an interesting one. He and Gunston played against Melbourne in round 2 and obviously that was successful - even with Gawn subbed out we were not outrun.

But the team v tiges had such good run, i’d be worried about adding Gunston and then Fort to it for an MCG match.

I can’t recall Melbourne dismantling too many teams in the ruck this year, and they won’t be stretching us with their tall forwards which were a resting ruck plus Brown on the weekend. If JVR comes in Lester can take him. No Fritsch.

The big question mark with all of that would be Daniher competing properly. So if we are going one ruck i’d be revving up Joe to really have an impact. Does he respond to that? Probably not haha would just smile
Petracca to get Starcevich too. Petracca played mostly forward but saints just matched a mid on him. Starce a good match-up. Makes it a very different Melbourne mid with the 2 blokes that traditionally trouble us

Starc Payne Lester
Wilmott Andrews Kiddy
Berry Ashcroft Clugg
Rayner Hipwood Bailey
Cameron Daniher Gunston
Oscar Dunkley Neale.
Int Zorko McCarthy Mckenna Fort.
Sub Ah Chee.

All things being equal injury wise I think that's what we'll go with. Robbo or Lyons in if Dunks is out.

Sub Zorko

Too slow especially with Lyons and Fort on the bench. We are finally playing a faster style so why mess with that?

I hope we keep Fletcher, and while he is below his best, there is no way Charlie will be dropped.

I know it was only West Coast so it's too hard to draw definitive conclusions but Gunston was backing into packs taking marks near the end and his kicking was a lot more accurate all over the ground. Something he hasn't come close to doing all year. Jury's still out on defensive pressure but it was a vast turnaround. In this match.

I'm wondering if the key to Gunston is keeping him fresh and his body not sore by playing week to week. There had been indications that he didn't train during the week so he could play for most of the year.

Sub Zorko

We need two rucks against Melbourne, which is why Fort is in
. Fagan won’t leave Gunston out, but he should. Hard to know who will “come up” in terms of fitness, so this is just what I believe is my best 22.
Just on the ruck selection v Demons
I am not convinced we will go 2 rucks against the Demons.
My gut feeling is Fort to be sub in case our midfield is struggling at clearances. See image below (from footywire) for clearance Team Rankings

I don't think the Gawn & Grundy combination is working as the Demons had envisaged.
Both going okay but when sharing the ruck duties neither are dominating like they used to. Simple math really.
If they are resting forward, they have not been very damaging.

Goals scored in 2023: Grundy 10, Gawn 7, Oscar 5. Jo 39.
Average disposals: Grundy 14.6, Gawn 15, Oscar 12.3, Jo 14.2
Average hit outs: Grundy 21, Gawn 19.9, Oscar 33.6, Jo 1.8
Clearances: Grundy 50, Gawn 46, Oscar 93, Jo 24.

In your team above i would much rather have Zorko playing than Fort.
The chances of Zorko being sub are very small.

Image below
CL= Total Clearances
CCL= Center Clearances
1688861504096.png

Important match ups?

Jack Payne > Ben Brown.
Harris Andrews > Grundy/Gawn when resting forward.
Jarrod Berry(mid)/Brandon Starcevich(fwd) > Christian Petracca.
Darcy Wilmot > Kossie Pickett.

We also need our wingers to run there backsides off, Demons have 2 that do in Hunter and Langdon.

Lower the eyes, no bombing it long to Lever and May.

Just on the ruck selection v Demons
I am not convinced we will go 2 rucks against the Demons.
My gut feeling is Fort to be sub in case our midfield is struggling at clearances. See image below (from footywire) for clearance Team Rankings

I don't think the Gawn & Grundy combination is working as the Demons had envisaged.
Both going okay but when sharing the ruck duties neither are dominating like they used to. Simple math really.
If they are resting forward, they have not been very damaging.

Goals scored in 2023: Grundy 10, Gawn 7, Oscar 5. Jo 39.
Average disposals: Grundy 14.6, Gawn 15, Oscar 12.3, Jo 14.2
Average hit outs: Grundy 21, Gawn 19.9, Oscar 33.6, Jo 1.8
Clearances: Grundy 50, Gawn 46, Oscar 93, Jo 24.

In your team above i would much rather have Zorko playing than Fort.
The chances of Zorko being sub are very small.

Image below
CL= Total Clearances
CCL= Center Clearances
View attachment 1732933

yeah our clearance differential has been massive; +8.4, Bulldogs next best with 4.1, Melbourne 1.1

Hitouts Melbourne are +13, while we’re -2.8

So clearly hit outs aren’t proportional to clearances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too slow especially with Lyons and Fort on the bench. We are finally playing a faster style so why mess with that?

I hope we keep Fletcher, and while he is below his best, there is no way Charlie will be dropped.
I didn't mean to drop Cameron. I'll pop him back in.

This week's Melt Topic

Which successful Half Back does Fagan drop to get Rich back into the side this week.

Discuss
If it's one of Coleman, Wilmot, McKenna, Lester, Andrews, Payne or Starcevich I think I will go Volcanic.

mad-angry.gif

I don't see an official preview thread, so mods feel free to delete once one is up but I want to discuss next week as it is a HUGE game.

Ideally, Melbourne win tonight and then we beat Melbourne next week because that would put us three games clear of fifth and top four would then basically be locked in but no point counting the chicken before they hatch.

Gunston obviously keeps his spot and rightly or wrongly, so does Zorko. But with Berry, Dunks, McCarthy as locks to come back in and maybe Ah Chee, who are the unlucky two in addition to Madden and Lyons? Dev will unfortunately likely be one but who is the other or do you leave Ah Chee out? This would also be a shame for Dev and I hope it doesn't happen.

And surely, surely Rich doesn't walk back in...surely...but I worry Gunston doing well against a woeful team might make Fagan do it and we go back to being too slow.
gee Dev would be unlucky saved a goal running back to make a contest in the goal square and took some good marks.

It's a tough call but I'd drop Fletcher before Dev.

Nothing has been wrong with his performance but feel like with those 2 dees wings and how wide they move the ball I'd rather have Dev's accountability even if he doesn't use it as well as Jaspa has shown he can. Dev to rotate with Bailey and Zork through the wing with Clug an option there too when Will's on the field.

Assuming Bez and Dunkley are fit I'd go with:

B: Stace, Harris, Payne

HB: McKenna, Lester, Darcy Wilmot

C: Bez, Dunkley, Bailey

HF: Charlie, Hippy, Cam

FF: Linc, Joe, Gunston

R: Big O, Clug, Lachie

Bench: Dev, Will, Kiddy, Zork

Sub: Ah Chee

If we want to do 2 rucks then Gunston goes out despite the good performance last week

gee Dev would be unlucky saved a goal running back to make a contest in the goal square and took some good marks.
Yes that was a certain goal except for some exceptional gut running back from Dev, he does a lot on the defensive side of the game that doesn't get much attention.

Yes that was a certain goal except for some exceptional gut running back from Dev, he does a lot on the defensive side of the game that doesn't get much attention.
Yep. When he tackles, they stay tackled. Same with Lyons. His offensive tackle in front of goals that was rewarded with a free that was then played to advantage to give Gunston a cheapie from the goal square was a ripper. Your goal Jarryd. Dev does that sort of hard work that the team benefits from all the time.

Love the defensive aspect he brings to our team. Just compliments the other players so well. Harsh, but would keep him before Lyons.

Love the defensive aspect he brings to our team. Just compliments the other players so well. Harsh, but would keep him before Lyons.
If agree. Lyons is probably a better ball winner and user of the ball. But I rate the defensive running Dev does much higher and he's more flexible in roles across the park. As the 4-5th inside mid I think Dev fits the role better than Lyons at the moment

Dunkley: Take no chances with him. If fully recovered that's great. Lyons stays in or out depending on Dunkley.
Madden: Out. In Berry.
McCarthy: In. With either Dev or Fletcher missing out. If Berry still out, then one could play.
Fort: Sub replaces Lohmann.

The only way i see Ah Chee getting back in for now is if Berry is still out, they could then drop one of Dev or Fletcher
Zorko plays again unless he has a setback after the Eagles game. He was walking around fine after the game.
Gunston holds his spot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back