Preview Changes & Preview Thread for Round 18, 2023 vs Carlton at Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The winning run has to come to an end eventually and it would obviously be much better for it to happen this weekend than in a final, and although games obviously aren't played on paper I have to agree with those who believe this is the weakest line up Port have put on the park since the crow's game.

A couple of possibilities.

1. assuming he travels with the team it won't surprise me greatly if Hayes is a late replacement for Lycett.

2. if Jonas's form at the Maggies is anything to go by what will the coaches be able to do with him if the blue baggers expose his lack of pace and overall skill level on what should be a very fast deck?
As already suggested, it's not difficult to envisage a lot of clumsy tackles, and subbing him out could be the end result!

The key to a real chance of September success though is for the 3 `tall' defenders in Aliir, McKenzie and Burton to be fit and in the latter's case also in better form, and if that happens unless TJ can turn back the clock form wise beginning with this weekends game I doubt he would come into serious consideration for a final's gig.

I'm still expecting to win. The nucleus of the team is still there, only really McKenzie being out is the issue, since Dixon has been hobbling around for weeks. Could very well depend on whether or not Harry McKay can kick straight. JHF hasn't done much since the bye, and we still have Butters, Rozee, Boak, Wines, Drew in the midfield. Not sure what the point of Mead is, what position is he going to play? If it's midfield, Narkle probably a better option.

Only really concerned about one of Harry and Curnow getting off the leash. Reckon we should still win. Carlton are dead rubbering and are fraudulent.

Mead I get as a last look, to see whether enough for another year. There’s no way Jonas should be anywhere near the side. It was hard enough to get him out last time. Unless he’s suspended again or actually really injured we’re now going to be hobbled with him the rest of the year.
Who is going to play on McKay?
Burton is not strong enough, hence Jonas get a gig.

Have we replaced Burton with Burgoyne? I'd think Bergman stays in defence replacing McKenzie and Jonas/Jones cover the third tall and Burton role between them. Then Duursma replaces Bergman's brief wing stint.

We then look a defender heavy and a forward short, unless Burgoyne is playing further up the ground.
Pretty simple, fast deck; the need for Speed.

Both Dixon and JHF have looked tired and sore, so no choice there. Lord ( which frees up Finlayson to help in the ruck or sent to defend for periods) and duurs and logical

Rioli and McKenzie are also no choice
jonas a logical in and mead does a job. I would have preferred narkle

Hayes probably should have kept his spot as Lycett is important next week

Burton is a big surprise, especially replacing him with burger in the week we go extra short down back
Burton plays on smalls not talls, Jones & Bergman are now playing tall down back.

The winning run has to come to an end eventually and it would obviously be much better for it to happen this weekend than in a final, and although games obviously aren't played on paper I have to agree with those who believe this is the weakest line up Port have put on the park since the crow's game.

1. assuming he travels with the team it won't surprise me greatly if Hayes is a late replacement for Lycett.

2. if Jonas's form at the Maggies is anything to go by what will the coaches be able to do with him if the blue baggers expose his lack of pace and overall skill level on what should be a very fast deck?
As already suggested, it's not difficult to envisage a lot of clumsy tackles, and subbing him out could be the end result!

The key to a real chance of September success though is for the 3 `tall' defenders in Aliir, McKenzie and Burton to be fit and in the latter's case also in better form, and if that happens unless TJ can turn back the clock form wise beginning with this weekends game I doubt he would come into serious consideration for a final's gig.
Burton does not play as a tall defender, hence the Berger man playing on the talls (down back).

Carlton home games have an atmosphere that we have historically struggled to combat. If we aren't switched on I think we could be out of the game pretty early.
Their supporter base is also surprisingly up and about despite the position they are in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh can we just take the week off then and rest the boys up since apparently this game is a foregone conclusion?

I didn’t care about dropping this game at all earlier in the week but * these Carlton lot are arrogant pricks!

Butters, Rozee may just go god-mode and the melts will be delicious.

Just popped over to read the preview and see what's up with all the changes. For the record, Tim Gossage is from Perth, a WCE man and loves to hate Victorians just as much as South Australians. He's probably just trolling for interactions.

Mead is an interesting selection, he might actually play as a genuine inside midfielder where he could go well.
Need to start well & win the midfield battle & have Bergman/ Jones as third up in defence.
If they win the midfield and isolate their tall forward one on one it could spell big trouble.
We appear to be trusting our process & not relying on individuals so much now

Just popped over to read the preview and see what's up with all the changes. For the record, Tim Gossage is from Perth, a WCE man and loves to hate Victorians just as much as South Australians. He's probably just trolling for interactions.

He's actually a Saints man.

Not the weakest team this year, the team fielded against NM was the weakest.
We need Brisbane to lose to Melbourne tonight, that helps us.
A draw between Bris and Dees would be fantastic 😊

Did the ladder predictor...
Dropping the next 4 we finish 3rd.
Winning 1 of those 4 we finish second....
yep, thats how i have it too. Which is why this game is WAY more important than it is being made out to be.

Club being cute with selections, supporters seemingly okay with dropping our best chance for a win in the next month to pretty well stich up top 2 (especially if Melbourne win tonight).

Crazy that this game is being taken lightly.

yep, thats how i have it too. Which is why this game is WAY more important than it is being made out to be.

Club being cute with selections, supporters seemingly okay with dropping our best chance for a win in the next month to pretty well stich up top 2 (especially if Melbourne win tonight).

Crazy that this game is being taken lightly.
Honestly don't think anyone is taking this, or any of the remaining minor round games lightly.

It's just some can see the rationale for resting and dropping players and trying others in the lead up to finals and some can't.

And to put it simply, it's because the focus has to be on making the big dance and not just getting a home prelim. Finally learning to play it like a marathon rather than a sprint.

Not the weakest team this year, the team fielded against NM was the weakest.

A draw between Bris and Dees would be fantastic 😊
This probably is the weakest team going in to a game but we lost Marshall early against NM. If Marshall, Lord and Finlayson play the whole game and kick straight we have a good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back