Preview Changes: R8 vs Port Adelaide, 2024 - Curtin Call?

Will Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, who gives a toss? They want their captain to play in a showdown. It may or may not backfire on them. We don't really care do we?

Would never wish an injury on any player, but it would be slightly amusing if Rozee in the first quarter happens to start chasing a rampaging Rankine and absolutely pings his hammy badly.

Old Kern would have some egg on his face. :$

On who? Which defender is going out?
Hamill I suspect, assuming that Smith is also coming in.

Two weeks ago we had Smith and Hamill in the same team with Nankervis, Cook and Jones doing most of the wing duties and Nicks mentioned in a press conference that Nank or Jones could move back to cover Smith's absence, and they brought in Sholl to replace him instead of an extra defender (eg Curtin). This week Hamill could come out for Curtin and they keep the same structure, or if Smith and Curtin both come in they can move back to more like the setup from the previous week, and Cook spends most of his time in the forward line.

I don't think they're going to drop Borlase for Curtin if that's what you're thinking. Not sure if Worrell or Curtin would be preferred as the third tall defender, I think when it's Georgiadis it's probably going to be Worrell.

Last edited:

Slightly off topic but just realised we've got a 9 day break, into another home game against the lowly Lions (we're currently 1.78 favourites!)
Hopefully after we beat up on the magpies Thursday arvo, we may have another debutant.
I also reckon a nice long week will serve us well with "warm form" players like Butts, Berry, Schoenberg...and not Smithers 🤭

Hamill I suspect, assuming that Smith is also coming in.

Two weeks ago we had Smith and Hamill in the same team with Nankervis, Cook and Jones doing most of the wing duties and Nicks mentioned in a press conference that Nank or Jones could move back to cover Smith's absence, and they brought in Sholl to replace him instead of an extra defender (eg Curtin). This week Hamill could come out for Curtin and they keep the same structure, or if Smith and Curtin both come in they can move back to more like the setup from the previous week, and Cook spends most of him time in the forward line.

I don't think they're going to drop Borlase for Curtin if that's what you're thinking. Not sure if Worrell or Curtin would be preferred as the third tall defender, I think when it's Georgiadis it's probably going to be Worrell.
They don’t see Curtin as a half back that can play on the smaller nippier half forwards, unless Port has a suitable match up at half back I can’t see him playing there. Hence why I said it’s going to be interesting where he plays as I don’t think they’ll drop one of the key defenders and if they did I am sure they’d bring in Butts.

Up close Curtin is a big lad, he’s not someone that’s going to be suited to chasing down a little fella. To be considered a mid we would have tried him there already.

Edit just heard the end of Nicks comments, so they will play him on a small which I’m staggered by given a conversation I had last weekend.

They don’t see Curtin as a half back that can play on the smaller nippier half forwards, unless Port has a suitable match up at half back I can’t see him playing there. Hence why I said it’s going to be interesting where he plays as I don’t think they’ll drop one of the key defenders and if they did I am sure they’d bring in Butts.

Up close Curtin is a big lad, he’s not someone that’s going to be suited to chasing down a little fella. To be considered a mid we would have tried him there already.

Edit just heard the end of Nicks comments, so they will play him on a small which I’m staggered by given a conversation I had last weekend.
My expectation is insofar as he has an opponent it's someone like Georgiadis or Byrne-Jones, at least most of the time, though obviously it's team defence and I'm sure he will need to provide coverage etc. Somewhat depends who Port pick as they could have up to four tall/medium attackers.

But I think all the other three tall defenders will be ahead of Curtin in terms of covering the most dangerous goalscoring threats. It would be silly to expect Curtin to be as good as Butts/Keane/Worrell in covering someone like Dixon, Finlayson or Marshall.

Edit: Does Nicks have a new press conference somewhere you're referring to? I've only seen the Dawson one.

Curtin should be given an attacking role, I don't want him worrying about chasing a forward around - definetly not a key forward.

My expectation is insofar as he has an opponent it's someone like Georgiadis or Byrne-Jones, at least most of the time, though obviously it's team defence and I'm sure he will need to provide coverage etc. Somewhat depends who Port pick as they could have up to four tall/medium attackers.

But I think all the other three tall defenders will be ahead of Curtin in terms of covering the most dangerous goalscoring threats. It would be silly to expect Curtin to be as good as Butts/Keane/Worrell in covering someone like Dixon, Finlayson or Marshall.

Edit: Does Nicks have a new press conference somewhere you're referring to? I've only seen the Dawson one.
He must have spoken today as Rowey has played snippets.

One about Pedlar saying they’ve made no decision yet and so it’s not season over yet

Would never wish an injury on any player, but it would be slightly amusing if Rozee in the first quarter happens to start chasing a rampaging Rankine and absolutely pings his hammy badly.

Old Kern would have some egg on his face. :$
It says they are absolutely worried about us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back