Preview Changes v Geelong (Round 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beams out is a bad call. He is improving with each game. Shown some class with his disposal.

Harwood was also one of our best in the second half of last season. Keep him in. When he plays well our rebound ability is much better.

Close given a rest. Listed as an emergency.

Ins: Leuenberger, ZOB
Out: Close and McGrath

I'm probably about to cause a bit of controversy for what I'm about to say. I think a lot of people on this board (like myself) want finals more than anything, but I need to remind myself sometimes that the ultimate goal in AFL is to win a premiership. That is why I think although they have shown great signs, players like Crisp, Harwood and Golby (maybe even Lester) will not be in our future premiership team (if we make it). As most coaches say 'if you cant kick, you cant play,' so can you really imagine them being in the midfield/halfback of a premiership team? I know that I'd rather Rich and Cutler driving the ball from half back who both have elite kicking skills. Just look at Hawthorn and Sydney who have the likes of Malceski, Mitchell and Hodge kicking it out of the back half, that's what premiership teams are made of. It is very difficult to alter a kicking style when they've had it for 15 years.

I'm ok with playing them at the moment if their is no better option though and I don't want to be raged at for this, I'm just stating my opinion

Last edited:

I'm probably about to cause a bit of controversy for what I'm about to say. I think a lot of people on this board (like myself) want finals more than anything, but I need to remind myself sometimes that the ultimate goal in AFL is to win a premiership. That is why I think although they have shown great signs, players like Crisp, Harwood and Golby (maybe even Lester) will not be in our future premiership team (if we make it). As most coaches say 'if you cant kick, you cant play,' so can you really imagine them being in the midfield/halfback of a premiership team? I know that I'd rather Rich and Cutler driving the ball from half back who both have elite kicking skills. Just look at Hawthorn and Sydney who have the likes of Malceski, Mitchell and Hodge kicking it out of the back half, that's what premiership teams are made of. It is very difficult to alter a kicking style when they've had it for 15 years. Most people will probably disagree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion.

I'm ok with playing them at the moment if their is no better option though and I don't want to be raged at for this, I'm just stating my opinion
I agree 100%. I don't see Harwood or Golby in a premiership team (havent seen enough of Crisp to be sure).
I would much rather see Cutler ahead of Harwood at the start of next season.

It wasn't too long ago that Golby was considered one of the best kicks at the club. From a technical point of view, he is. It's his decision making and occasional execution issues that mess him up, but I still hold out hope that he could go back to being one of the best kicks we have. Harwood's kick, however, looks relatively ordinary even when well executed.

Crisp I had just about written off along with many a few weeks ago, but now he looks a best 22 player in all ways bar his disposal. Hope he can fix it up, because when he's up and running he adds a lot of class to our ball movement (and is also a great finisher).

For this one, I'd probably bring Leuey and Golby in, and take out Close and McGrath. More likely to be Lester than Golby ultimately, though.

Have a look at the premiership teams over the last few years. There are worse disposers of the ball than those guys in there - Schoenmakers, LRT, Mark Blake all jump to mind. Yes, I know they're all talls, but there'd be smalls as well - just less memorable.

Honest question - why??

Freeman was our only real forward today IMO.

Our only real forward had 3 possessions in the match and can barely get out of jog - if you actually watch the game closely.

He has got a long way to go on his fitness and toughness so shouldn't get ahead of himself. He needs a few huge pre-seasons. He is being played because Browny believes he is the most natural forward we have (which is probably true), and it was right to have a look at him - but let's not kid ourselves, he hadn't shown any great form in the reserves.

It was fine against Collingwood because we dominated all over the park and he didn't have to do much and his natural forward abilities shone through. But in a game where you have to chase repeatedly, get into repeated contests and offer multiple leads - he is going to be shown up until he gets a lot fitter.

It is no great slap down - basically all young tall forwards are the same. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets another game this week (especially given Close looks shot), but personally I would be dropping him to remind him how far he has to go and the effort he needs to put in over the pre-season.

Paine looks like the only alternative that would come into genuine consideration (although I am not sold on him as an AFL standard footballer at all). Personally I would go with Lisle, but given we haven't played him since round 9 despite some good performances in the reserves, his career at the Lions looks over.

(I am well aware of Lisle's failings - but I would play him up the ground more as a roaming half forward / link player (like the role Staker can play), where contested marking isn't as much of an issue.)

Our only real forward had 3 possessions in the match and can barely get out of jog - if you actually watch the game closely.

He has got a long way to go on his fitness and toughness so shouldn't get ahead of himself. He needs a few huge pre-seasons. He is being played because Browny believes he is the most natural forward we have (which is probably true), and it was right to have a look at him - but let's not kid ourselves, he hadn't shown any great form in the reserves.

It was fine against Collingwood because we dominated all over the park and he didn't have to do much and his natural forward abilities shone through. But in a game where you have to chase repeatedly, get into repeated contests and offer multiple leads - he is going to be shown up until he gets a lot fitter.

It is no great slap down - basically all young tall forwards are the same. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets another game this week (especially given Close looks shot), but personally I would be dropping him to remind him how far he has to go and the effort he needs to put in over the pre-season.

Paine looks like the only alternative that would come into genuine consideration (although I am not sold on him as an AFL standard footballer at all). Personally I would go with Lisle, but given we haven't played him since round 9 despite some good performances in the reserves, his career at the Lions looks over.

(I am well aware of Lisle's failings - but I would play him up the ground more as a roaming half forward / link player (like the role Staker can play), where contested marking isn't as much of an issue.)
I am well aware Freeman isn't there quite yet but there was simply nobody else up forward who even looked slightly threatening, Lisle wouldn't have been any different. Still kicked two goals and took a pretty decent hanger; I think you are selling him short all things considered.

Have a look at the premiership teams over the last few years. There are worse disposers of the ball than those guys in there - Schoenmakers, LRT, Mark Blake all jump to mind. Yes, I know they're all talls, but there'd be smalls as well - just less memorable.
I'm gonna call you out on this one. The guys you mentioned are bit part potatoes aside from LRT. A back man who can't kick is far less a liability than a midfielder or small who can't kick. All the top 4 teams are full of elite ball users.

Harwoods first quarter bungles under pressure were crazy frustrating and Justin Clarke completely un-aware in a few key situations.. Everytime Ash was involved in play, he gave a free kick away or made an error.. a 1st Quarter to forget.. forever..

Aish played his best game in second half of the year and a 26 disposal game has to have Squizzy favorite for the rising star..

Rocky is easily our toughest player.. first time i have seen him live this year and his work rate (gut running) is noticeably higher then anyone else on the field.. He gets danced around by quick players and plods along and you think 'oh rocky is knackered, get him off' and then he not only makes it to the next contest but impacts it more often then not.. from the pudgy kid who arrived at the club its an incredible achievement..

we really need Dan Rich back..

Changes for Geelong for me would be

Out: Ash, McStay, Close, Beams (sore knee i reckon)
In: Lester, O'Brien, Paine, Robertson

plenty of inside grunt and run, Paine to replace Close

I'm gonna call you out on this one. The guys you mentioned are bit part potatoes aside from LRT. A back man who can't kick is far less a liability than a midfielder or small who can't kick. All the top 4 teams are full of elite ball users.
We were talking about Harwood, a back man. It's not ideal but it's not a barrier to premiership success. He just has to play it safe and stop screwing up the safe kicks.

We were talking about Harwood, a back man. It's not ideal but it's not a barrier to premiership success. He just has to play it safe and stop screwing up the safe kicks.

^^^
This.

Harwood's brain farts with his kicking are costly far too often but hopefully that's something that can be addressed and remedied.

That run and carry and ability to break lines is a really valuable asset and makes him worth persevering with IMO.

^^^
This.

Harwood's brain farts with his kicking are costly far too often but hopefully that's something that can be addressed and remedied.

That run and carry and ability to break lines is a really valuable asset and makes him worth persevering with IMO.
I have actually noticed he isn't doing that karmacazy running through the midfield anymore. Cutler from the few games l have seen is more of a run and carry, however, imo, the only thing stopping him from taking Harwood's spot if Cutler's ability to defend on his direct opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Barometer: Round 23

BRISBANE LIONS
INJURIES

Tom Cutler (knee) season
Luke McGuane (knee) season
James Polkinghorne (ankle) season
Jack Redden (ankle) season
Daniel Rich (knee) season
Brent Staker (foot) season
Patrick Wearden (quad) test
Trent West (knee) season

ON THE BLOCK:
Hard to see Brisbane making unnecessary changes to an already young team for the final game of the season. However Michael Close had a shocker against Fremantle, accumulating one disposal before being subbed out at half-time. Retired forward Ash McGrath will need to be replaced too, after he bowed out against the Dockers.

ON THE CUSP:
Herein lies the dilemma for the Lions. Matthew Leunberger has played the past five games for Brisbane’s NEAFL side. He produced his best game yet on Saturday, booting four goals and being named his team’s best player against the UWS Giants. Do Brisbane pick him Saturday for one final game? Or is it not worth it? Others to impress in the NEAFL were Jordan Lisle (four goals), Jackson Paine (two) and Zac O’Brien (one), while Andrew Raines and the returning Mitch Golby were named in the best.

BEN WATERWORTH’S FORECAST:
A long 2014 campaign for the Lions concludes on Saturday with a dead rubber clash against Geelong. But, as has been documented consistently throughout the second half of the season, the future looks bright, with the likes of Rohan Bewick, Jack Crisp and Ryan Harwood the latest young Lions to show promise. Got a funny feeling it won’t be a cakewalk for the Cats at Simonds Stadium. They’ll still win, but the Lions will not make it a convincing victory.

GEELONG
INJURIES

Steve Johnson (foot) test
Shane Kersten (hamstring) TBC
George Burbury (hamstring) 2-3 weeks
Taylor Hunt (groin) 1-2 weeks
Josh Cowan (Achilles) season
Daniel Menzel (knee) season
Nathan Vardy (knee) season
Dawson Simpson (back) season
Zac Bates (hamstring) season

ON THE BLOCK:
Jackson Thurlow could be on thin ice. He was OK against the Hawks but the Cats may need a bigger body. Brad Hartman is the other obvious man battling to retain his place despite doing some nice things.

ON THE CUSP:
All eyes remain locked on Stevie J and his troublesome foot. Concern will grow to genuine worry if he doesn’t play this week. George Horlin-Smith was a late out against the Hawks but is in the Cats’ best 22. Do the Cats bring in a big fella given Shane Kersten looks likely to miss? If so Josh Walker, or perhaps more likely Mitch Brown are right in the mix. Lincoln McCarthy and Billie Smedts again impressed at the lower level and are pushing while Jed Bews remains in the frame.

BEN BROAD’S FORECAST:
The equation for Chris Scott’s men is simple: beat Brisbane at home this week and face the Hawks again at the MCG in a qualifying final. The Lions will be stung after being belted by an impressive Freo, and with nothing to lose they’re a dangerous opponent — something the Cats know only too well after their Round 23 clash last season. The bad news for the Cats is their VFL side narrowly missed the finals, meaning all those on the cusp, as of now, will have to rely on match simulation at training to maintain their fitness and stay in the reckoning for a senior call-up. Geelong needs everyone up and going if they’re to repeat the heroics of past seasons.

Lions, Suns out to spoil finals prep

Rockliff said Brisbane also had a destructive mindset going into the final round. Brisbane beat the Cats at the Gabba last year and fell a point short in the final game of the year at Skilled Stadium. Rockliff says his side is confident they can get the job done this time around. “We think we play pretty well against them,’’ he said. “We probably should have won that game last year, we missed a snap at goal with a few seconds to go, so it gives us confidence that we can beat them and hopefully we can have a say in the shape of the top four.’’

Oh God ... I hate this thread. No bugger it ... I'm not going to post it this week.

Huge personal and collective sigh of relief, at the cost of one certain like from Dylan12.

I just hope he doesn't break anything (or anyone) and next year he can play where he belongs ... at full back.

O'Brien got 4 kicked on him in the reserves so not sure he'll come in due to that but Leppa might want some more offensive capabilities.

I'd say out Close IN Leuenberger.
OUT:McGrath IN:Raines

O'Brien got 4 kicked on him in the reserves so not sure he'll come in due to that but Leppa might want some more offensive capabilities.

I'd say out Close IN Leuenberger.
OUT:McGrath IN:Raines

I'm not entirely sure what was put in this week's reserves wrap is entirely correct with regards to ZOB. I highly doubt he was playing on Sam Reid who is a 196 cm tall forward. Think a few things may have gotten mixed up when it went to print.

I'm not entirely sure what was put in this week's reserves wrap is entirely correct with regards to ZOB. I highly doubt he was playing on Sam Reid who is a 196 cm tall forward. Think a few things may have gotten mixed up when it went to print.
Sam Reid at the Giants is the ex-Bulldogs 187cm midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back