Changes v Sydney Rd 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevens decision making and disposal still annoys me. He needs to learn how to handball. I counted three simple ones that went straight to the ground instead of his intended target, slowing the ball down or turning it over. Not sure whether its worth being dropped for.

I think he may be your whipping boy. Here is an extract from Foxsports today which shows he is seen differently from other eyes.

The Bulldogs’ playing group has great faith in each other. Unlike Joel Selwood at Geelong and Gary Ablett at Gold Coast, there’s no unhealthy reliance on one player to will the team across the line. For example, before picking up a back injury, Mitch Wallis was averaging 25 disposals per game. For the Crows clash, he was replaced by Koby Stevens, who stood up with 26 disposals and kept Rory Sloane to two touches in the first quarter.

Lachy where are you getting your stats on hit outs to advantage? I haven't seen them but heard the stat quoted that Jacobs had more hit outs to advantage than Cordy had actual hit outs at half time.

I'm not inclined to make any change. Even though I think Cordy will get slaughtered he probably should have some continuity.
The stats are from footy wire, and afl.

The stats are also misleading as such a large discrepancy yet only 2 more centre clearances which demonstrate their value not their number. Cordy also made sure Jacobs had little impact around the ground, something Minson was not doing

I don't beleive any of our ruckman are in the top 10 of AFL rucks and is one area our list needs improvement. But to think Minson coming in would give us a win in this area, well 2 coaches in 6 games would disagree

Anyone else making the journey up north?

1 hour south for me - hope the rain holds off

will be my first live Doggies game for several years : so looking forward to this:)

Hrovat's decision-making worries me. That and his lack of genuine leg-speed.

short people need to have elite leg speed (Boomer Harvey); or incredible awareness and disposal effeciency (Sam Mitchell); or be a pressure player and contested ball beast (Paul Puopolo); or a goal-kicking machine (Steven Milne and now, Eddie Betts). I don't see any of those attributes to a very high level in Hrovat. He seems to be fairly good at everything but I can't see that taking him to the level of a lock for best 22 in a gun side. I see more in Caleb Daniel to be honest. Not saying Hrovat definitely won't make it, but of all of our much hyped pups, I have the lowest expectations for him as far as ceiling goes.

Very interesting that I've been saying EXACTLY the same thing for 5 months but I only encounter abuse for this opinion.

I constantly hear Hrovats number one asset is his disposal and I do honestly watch him to see this. Yesterday In a space of one minute he missed a standing target to turn it over and then threw the ball to give away a free kick. Now people will say I have it out for him which I dont, I simply continue to see a small slow average skilled player that isn't elite at anything and is injured a lot.

I hope he continues to get games so I can see him for a few weeks and make another assessment but every time he gets a chance lately he fails in my eyes and again yesterday he was one of our only poor players

Pretty good win I don't think they will make many changes unless forced

Maybe Hunter or Dale(if fit) in for Dickson but I suspect unchanged

Still can't get my head around the calls for Cordy and Grant to be dropped. Got to take the good with the bad with Grant as you do with JJ. Does some silly things in which is he doing less off however if he's contributing his goal or 2 a game whilst playing up the ground and setting up a good amount of our attacking plays then he's doing his job. Offers something to the forward line if the other 2nd or 3rd talls are having a quiet day as well. Agreed he still needs to push on however he offers a lot to our side and provides more at this stage than anyone in the 2's would. And I'm just flabbergasted if people don't see how much quicker we are overall with Cordy as the ruck. Is so much better below his knees than Wilbur and fits the game style so much easier. Wilbur will get his chance as the season goes on and horses for courses will come into it if we're tiring and things are getting more contested.

Only outs I'd consider would be Honey out for Wallis, providing he's fit enough. If Stringer is not right then look at bringing in Hunter.

Grant's uniqueness is so important to our structure. If you drop him, you throw our structure out of whack.

He's been turned into an old-fashioned, traditional, tall, skinny, high half-forward/wing type, the ones that you would get in the 70's and 80's. Who else do we have on our list that can play that role?

Very interesting that I've been saying EXACTLY the same thing for 5 months but I only encounter abuse for this opinion.

I constantly hear Hrovats number one asset is his disposal and I do honestly watch him to see this. Yesterday In a space of one minute he missed a standing target to turn it over and then threw the ball to give away a free kick. Now people will say I have it out for him which I dont, I simply continue to see a small slow average skilled player that isn't elite at anything and is injured a lot.

I hope he continues to get games so I can see him for a few weeks and make another assessment but every time he gets a chance lately he fails in my eyes and again yesterday he was one of our only poor players

Maybe it's the WAY we say things that riles people, or on the other hand causes them pause and consider.

Maybe it's the WAY we say things that riles people, or on the other hand causes them pause and consider.

Yeah sorry I'm not good at being fluffy :)

But in the end it shouldn't matter how it's said if it's logical and sensible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The knocks on Hrovat have some basis; he doesn't have elite speed or skill but to be fair he's only played 21 games and still has a lot of upside. He may be under pressure going forward with several other smalls in the pipeline. It's far too early to make any definitive assessment and he stays in the team for mine.

Grant's uniqueness is so important to our structure. If you drop him, you throw our structure out of whack.

He's been turned into an old-fashioned, traditional, tall, skinny, high half-forward/wing type, the ones that you would get in the 70's and 80's. Who else do we have on our list that can play that role?

Does anyone close to the club have any idea how Grant is seen by his peers? Is liked? Disliked?

I ask because even when he has cause to "celebrate" (see his goal yesterday) - he almost drops his head and curses himself. Few seem to get around him.

Is he one of those who just doesn't seem to be one of the boys?

Does anyone close to the club have any idea how Grant is seen by his peers? Is liked? Disliked?

I ask because even when he has cause to "celebrate" (see his goal yesterday) - he almost drops his head and curses himself. Few seem to get around him.

Is he one of those who just doesn't seem to be one of the boys?
Seems to be pretty close with like JJ and Stringer I think. But yeah was pretty strange after he kicked his goal, fair enough if we were 50 points down.

I admit that I am not a big Ayce fan, and he didn't ruck well enough to secure his spot for a long time, but I think he deserves another week. Although without the goal it was another marginal performance.

Hunter has a little spark that we seem to have lost, maybe he should come in for Hrovat. Or Honeychurch perhaps. Deserves a chance after a few strong showings in the VFL.

I don't think it would be a good week to introduce Dale, Sydney bodies pretty hard and might end badly. Saints a better prospect for him.

Changes
In: Hunter
Out: Hrovat

Dale

I'm not sure I understand all the talk around us having too many small players.

Hawthorn had 5 guys under 180cm on the weekend. We had 3. And which "short people" were left out??? Caleb Daniel that hasn't played a game???

Lachie hunter also just so happens to be 6 foot tall. Much bigger unit than most think.

So can hrovat and hunter play in a midfield with bonti (193), macrae (191), Libba (182), Wallis (185), jong (188) and Stevens (189)???? I think they fit nicely.

Not sure how valuable Grant will be on a compact (and wet) SCG. If anyone was to be dropped it would be him.

After such a great team effort, I wouldn't expect to see many unforced changes.
However Bev has professed a preference to tailor team selection according to the task at hand.

With that in mind, I would definitely consider making the following change.

In: Minson Out: Smith

I think Minson's strength and clearance work could be important against the Swans, who traditionally like to play a game style that fosters a lot of ball ups/throw ins. I know a lot of people deify Smith on this forum, but I though he struggled at times last night and if anyone should make way to bring Minson in then it should be Clay.

I would also consider bringing in Hunter for either Hrovat or Honeychurch. It sounds like Hunter has been playing well at VFL level and he may offer a little more in attack than Hrovat or Honeychurch, but I would also be happy with the status quo.

I wouldn't drop/omit anyone but would rest a few. A heavy track is no place for a hammy with a ? Out Stringer. Look after T Boyd for Saints, Freo, Melbourne and GWS. T Boyd out. In Minson and Hunter. As a general philosophical line for this game, I'd prefer as many mature bodies as possible and not essential to go tall if wet when isn't it wet in Sydney this autumn). Might/will be a wet, physical (almost certainly) and draining slog. Saints the week after is the game I'd be targeting, then Melbourne and GWS after Freo. Ok with resting good/young players and a targetted approach to wins this season (giving consideration to age of list and trying to sustain them as long ass possible). A wet SCG against a physical Sydney will be very taxing on young bodies when a string of very winnable games coming up ( OK Freo away is unlikely).

Grant really is a unique player isn't he?

His hand balling particularly sets up a lot of our offensive play, but I think this week could see him stage a 2-3 goal effort. I don't see Tom Boyd marking many in the wet, but we've seen that he's very adept at guiding the ball down to our smaller players. I remember Grant being the difference in a wet game against Adelaide a few years back, I'm hoping he is again.

I want to bring in Hunter for this game. I don't really think you can ignore 35 possessions and 4 goals in the VFL. Swap him in for Hrovat, who might not have done anything wrong, but missed some easy shots at goal and didn't have too much of an influence. Let's see if Hunter stands up.

I think Ayce rucked for about 80% against the Crows, but it was quite a fast game. They'll definitely be more boundary throw-ins this week, but I feel that even if Cordy loses the taps, we won't lose too much in the wet anyway. He competed well against the Swans last year after Tommy C went down.

Will be a big test against Kennedy, Parker and co this week. We'll need to win a lot of contested ball and lay a lot of tackles. This year, I'm confident in our zoning and pressure, so bring on the Swans!

Since where not expected to win this week I wouldn't mind bringing in a couple of freash faces to this game who haven't played much/or at all this year. After listening to the VFL game it sounded like Campbell dominated but I don't think he's ready for the no.1 ruck role so I would bring in Minno as well to help ease him in, 60-40 rucking. Hard to drop players who had pretty good, but kids need a crack IMO

Outs: Cordy (I know everyone will loose there sh*t), Stevens, Dickson and grant

Ins: Minson, Campbell, Hunter and give either Dale or maybe Hamilton a crack

Go Dogs!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back