Preview Changes vs Brisbane

Is it curtains for Curtin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So…

On the AFL website article “who’s pushing for R9 selection”..

IMG_2226.jpeg

There is no mention of that hack murphy pushing for selection.. shoey, dowling, berry and gollant..

Be interesting to see if Nicks and co can refrain from selecting murphy..

I always get the impression that the AFL writes these “who’s pushing” articles after consulting the clubs for a couple of hints.. could be wrong tho..

Did Ablett get dropped after a 16 possession game where he looked half decent?
Can't tell how he looked just from stats, but doesn't seem to have. He didn't have a 16 disposal game until his second year, but seems to have played every game after he came back in.

Interesting that when teams get injuries during a game, the remaining general lift to counter. The problem becomes the following week as you can’t manufacture it. Away from home adds another layer, they don’t have a great record at Adelaide Oval (3-9).

In last Sunday’s game, Brisbane slowed the game down. Not sure they will be able to do it this week.
With Starcevich and Answerth both missing, they really lack any decent matchups for Rankine or Rachele. Definitely a week where one of those two could really get off the chain (20+ disposals and 5+ goals).

With Starcevich and Answerth both missing, they really lack any decent matchups for Rankine or Rachele. Definitely a week where one of those two could really get off the chain (20+ disposals and 5+ goals).
So true. This could get ugly if we are ‘on’.

So true. This could get ugly if we are ‘on’.
It's quite remarkable how many best 22 players the Lions are missing now, especially those X factor types (Bailey, McCarthy), those that give them drive off half back (Coleman), medium/small lockdown defenders (Starcevich, Answerth), midfield depth (Ashcroft) and KPP depth (Gardiner). It's hurting them across every line.

A good chance for at least two of Worrell/Curtin/MM/Hinge to really free up again this week and provide us with a lot of drive out of D50.

Gary Ablett Jr

Obviously not trying to say Cook will be as good, or close, or anything. Just to say kids are often quiet in terms of possessions when they're learning and sometimes need time.
God Jnr played his 17th game in R5 of his 2nd season. Cook has taken well into his 4th season. At R8 of his 4th season, God Jnr had played 63 AFL games. Ablett averaged 8.3 disposals per game in his first season, which jumped up to 14.9 in his second. Cook's 2024 season average (8.4 disposals per game) is the lowest of his career to date. One of these is not like the other...

I get the point, that players generally start their career slowly, and that people shouldn't write them off if they don't explode onto the scene in a blaze of glory.

... However, Cook's trajectory has been very slow, and there are few (if any) indications that things are likely to ramp up in the foreseeable future. If anything, his figures are trending downward.

Ablett made the jump from being a promising youngster to superstar in 2007, his 6th season. I guess that means there's still hope for Cook...

It's quite remarkable how many best 22 players the Lions are missing now, especially those X factor types (Bailey, McCarthy), those that give them drive off half back (Coleman), medium/small lockdown defenders (Starcevich, Answerth), midfield depth (Ashcroft) and KPP depth (Gardiner). It's hurting them across every line.

A good chance for at least two of Worrell/Curtin/MM/Hinge to really free up again this week and provide us with a lot of drive out of D50.
We will pick Smith, he will have 25 and be 'undroppable' for the rest of the season, no matter his form.

INJURY/RETIRED LIST
Thilthorpe
Sloane
Pedlar
Murray
Milera

IN Dowling Schoenberg
OUT McHenry Smith

SANFL V NORWOOD FRIDAY NIGHT
F McHenry Burgess Gallagher
HF Boyle Gollant Murphy
C Smith Edwards O'Leary
HB Hamill Madgen Ryan
B Bond Borlase Parnell
R Strachan Berry Taylor
I Smithsom Murray Welsh Tahana

AFL V BRISBANE SUNDAY ARVO
F Rachele Fogarty Himmelberg
HF Keays Walker Rankine
C Sholl Crouch Dowling
HB Hinge Keane Michalanney
B Worrell Butts Curtin
R O'Brien Dawson Soligo
I Jones Schoenberg Nankervis Laird
S Cook

Last edited:
INJURY/RETIRED LIST
THILTHORPE
SLOANE
PEDLAR
MURRAY
MILERA

IN DOWLING SCHOENBERG
OUT MCHENRY SMITH

SANFL V NORWOOD FRIDAY NIGHT
F MCHENRY BURGESS GALLAGHER
HF BOYLE GOLLANT MURPHY
C SMITH EDWARDS O'LEARY
HB HAMILL MADGEN RYAN
B BOND BORLASE PARNELL
R STRACHAN BERRY TAYLOR
I SMITHSON MURRAY WELSH TAHANA

AFL V BRISBANE SUNDAY ARVO
F RACHELE FOGARTY HIMMELBERG
HF KEAYS WALKER RANKINE
C SHOLL CROUCH DOWLING
HB HINGE KEANE MICHALANNEY
B WORRELL BUTTS CURTIN
R O'BRIEN DAWSON SOLIGO
I JONES SCHOENBERG NANKERVIS LAIRD
S COOK

Why are you yelling?

With news of a Brodie Smith contract trigger it's essential he is dropped and plays the rest of the year in the SANFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are we putting triggers on 30+ players re : games played? Just illogical..
Well, it makes sense to.

"If you keep playing good, we'll talk about another year". Nothing wrong with that.

It's the gaming of the system though. If Smith puts forward "I played all but one game, so we're all sweet, right?" and that's accepted, then we're talking garbage.

Well, it makes sense to.

"If you keep playing good, we'll talk about another year". Nothing wrong with that.

It's the gaming of the system though. If Smith puts forward "I played all but one game, so we're all sweet, right?" and that's accepted, then we're talking garbage.

No, I just don’t believe in putting arbitrary triggers like so many games. A player of his age could start the season ok and then fall off a cliff as the season progresses but the trigger may have already occurred.

Don’t have triggers for any player 30 years+, discuss at the end of the season unless they are having a smashing season, like Tex did last year as he earnt it.

With news of a Brodie Smith contract trigger it's essential he is dropped and plays the rest of the year in the SANFL

A trigger for a bloke that is finished. This makes me want to vomit.

Well, it makes sense to.

Unfortunately Smith has been playing like rancid rat s**t and we just keep picking him.

So…

On the AFL website article “who’s pushing for R9 selection”..

View attachment 1982563

There is no mention of that hack murphy pushing for selection.. shoey, dowling, berry and gollant..

Be interesting to see if Nicks and co can refrain from selecting murphy..

I always get the impression that the AFL writes these “who’s pushing” articles after consulting the clubs for a couple of hints.. could be wrong tho..
Crows/Nicks: Ok then let's bring Murphy in ?????????????

Just like Ross the Boss did to Brad Crouch - he's 1 game off a trigger, got dropped, then injured in the VFL. Will need to make his way back through the VFL, should be about 4-5 weeks until they need to decided if they get him back for a game/ another season or not.

Just like Ross the Boss did to Brad Crouch - he's 1 game off a trigger, got dropped, then injured in the VFL. Will need to make his way back through the VFL, should be about 4-5 weeks until they need to decided if they get him back for a game/ another season or not.
Was it Hartigan or Henderson who was dropped for the same reason?

Back