Preview Changes vs Brisbane

Is it curtains for Curtin?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They’ve snookered themselves a bit with Smith. Brought him back as sub off horrible form and an apparent 1 week injury. And he was worse than any game this year, thankfully for only a quarter and a bit. He cant be dropped, he’s Brodie Smith, so do they concede they got the injury wrong and he’s out injured? They can’t keep him as sub because that was a truely terrible effort for a fresh legged outside player coming on 2/3s the way through a game. That ex-pie slug last year was magnitudes better.

Could we hear the, ‘Dan deserved his debut and we were thrilled with how he approached and played the game. Obviously he’s in his first year and learning what being a professional at the highest level is all about. We know he’s going to be a very important part of our club for a lot of years. But we have to bring Brodie back after he did everything we asked of him as sub and his footy was getting back to what we expect from him before his minor injury. And team balance we need a hard runner that can really impact the contest in a short amount of time as sub, which is why we’ve kept McHenry in the 23.’

I would love to see Taylor or Dowling coming in for Ned, but I think it will be Murphy if they do decide to drop him out. As much as Murphy annoys me, he will still be an upgrade on Mchenry, he fumbles or turns it over just about every time he gets it.

Sholl played well.
Let’s look at our real issues…
Jones just doesn’t get the ball enough but applies great tackling pressure.
Laird consistently puts his teammates under pressure with his disposal.
Ned just doesn’t have it. Fumbles, poor skills. Terrible, terrible player.
Smith is well and truly cooked.
These 4 are holding back the development of other players and therefore the team.
I do not understand the Nicks’ selection policy. Class wins you games not hacks.

What should happen:
McSpudley and Smith out
Dowling and Taylor in
With us seemingly going quick again after Nicks idiotic start to the season I would try Gollant and drop Hindenberg as well.

What will happen:
Curtin out
Murphy in

I would love to see Taylor or Dowling coming in for Ned, but I think it will be Murphy if they do decide to drop him out. As much as Murphy annoys me, he will still be an upgrade on Mchenry, he fumbles or turns it over just about every time he gets it.
Agreed. Murphy is an upgrade on Fumbly McFumbles. However, I think we have better options than Murphy.

Out: McHenry, Himmelberg, Smith (sub)
In: Schoenberg, Gollant, Berry (sub)

I’m not a big Himmelberg fan but he has offered us way more at AFL level than Gollant

I think we might need to accept that Gollant is a very good SANFL player however the step up to AFL is to big of a step

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd keep Jones. I know he's not at his best right now, but his ability to tackle and tackle hard, is something few of our guys have. He is one of the few in the league that can tackle JHF and bring him to a complete stop.
I'm really not a Jones fan at all, his production is below par and he has a tendency to burn the ball however lately he has demonstrated that he might be the most physical player in our team.
He is our most aggressive tackler.
Is that a big enough positive to stay in the team... debatable but I have to give credit where credit is due.

McHenry on the other hand is an easy target for upgrade.
We've been presented with a large enough sample size to realize his worth.
Poor ball handler, bad decision maker, possesses a shallow kick and continually makes basic mistakes.
We have Taylor, Dowling, Berry, Edwards, Ryan, Schoenberg, Gollant and Bond in the wings who each deserve a chance to prove themselves.

Out: Mc Henry
In : Taylor, Dowling or Berry( take your pick)

What should happen:
McSpudley and Smith out
Dowling and Taylor in
With us seemingly going quick again after Nicks idiotic start to the season I would try Gollant and drop Hindenberg as well.

What will happen:
Curtin out
Murphy in
Curtin has to have a few matches in. If he is dropped, I will :sick:

I'm really not a Jones fan at all, his production is below par and he has a tendency to burn the ball however lately he has demonstrated that he might be the most physical player in our team.
Is that a big enough positive to stay in the team... debatable but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Poor ball handler, bad decision maker, possesses a shallow kick and continually makes basic mistakes.
We have Taylor, Dowling, Berry, Edwards, Ryan, Schoenberg, Gollant and Bond in the wings who each deserve a chance to prove themselves.

100% agree.
We lose absolutely nothing by replacing McHenry

I wouldn’t do it, but the most likely omission against Brisbane is definitely Cook. He just doesn’t get enough ball. I’d stick with him, but the axe is hovering.

I can’t see this selection panel dropping Smith. He’ll either remain as sub, or be inexplicably elevated into the 22. I would drop him permanently.

I also can’t see them flat out dropping McHenry. Should they? Yes. Will they? No. He’s definitely a chance of being relegated to the sub role though. I would drop him permanently.

Himmelberg isn’t going anywhere for now. Gollant at AFL level is permanently finished IMO. As a Crow anyway. Burgess = meh. We’ve won with Himmelberg and for all his faults, his decision making is definitely better than those other two.

Schoenberg, Berry, Murphy and Dowling are all some sort of chance of coming in, but it’s possible none of them do. Rightly or wrongly (it’s wrong), Taylor is behind all of them in the pecking order right now. He should be ahead of all of Smith, Murphy and McHenry at a bare minimum, but he’s not, and a debut this season for Taylor is not happening unless a spate of injuries occur.

He had 2 tackles, he averages less than that over his career, the same as Brayden Cook who people complain doesn’t go hard at it.
Jones is a write off.
Hell sholl had more tackles last night.
His speed is a myth his hardness is a myth and he has no footy iq.

He had 2 tackles, he averages less than that over his career, the same as Brayden Cook who people complain doesn’t go hard at it.
Jones is a write off.
I’m taking back my apology to him, he’s played about 10 good games in his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What should happen:
McSpudley and Smith out
Dowling and Taylor in

What will happen:
Curtin out
Murphy in
I don't get where this obsession these boards have with Taylor comes from? I've watched a reasonable amount of SANFL and he rarely gets near it or has all that much impact.

I just don't see it.

Sholl was good.
One of the big criticism has been his physical play. Last night there were multiple times he had to put his body on the line and he did it successfully every single time.
He deserves to play if he's going to do that.
Obviously Scholl has deficiencies but honestly, we generally like to complain on here about scrappy footballers who lack skill but seemingly get games because they are scrappy footballers who try really hard… well Scholl is a physically slight footballer who nonetheless has good skills. There are actually not too many footballers who can kick as fluently as he does on both feet and he can football better than most on our list. I’ll take that above scrappy triers any day of the week.

And just thinking about it, there was always a place for a slight wingman back in the day and many of us old timers lament the fact that clubs generally tend to favour athletes now over those who are skilful but lack athleticism in some regard.

Sure it would be great if we could smooosh the hardness of Jones with the footballing ability of Scholl, but we can’t… so if we had to choose between the two I’m going Scholl.

I’m taking back my apology to him, he’s played about 10 good games in his career
And perhaps this is harsh, but his “good” games have by and large been good only in relation to the rest of his career which has seen dozens of below average performances… he was a top ten draft pick who is turning 25 this year. He should be absolutely gunning it up and is instead decidedly ordinary. I’ll say it again, he is much like David Mackay - a perfectly decent player 25-30 on your list but one who probably doesn’t/shouldn’t make your best 22.

Out: Cook, McHenry
In: Dowling, Murphy

Look, half forward is the toughest role in football, however, that's three out of four now where we've got absolutely nothing out of Cook. Time for Dowling to get a shot and a taster - as he might also track towards being an answer on the wing in a few weeks if Jones can't kick out of this slump.

Murphy goes to sub with McHenry out. I want to see us use Smith on the wing and this allows for that.

I don't get where this obsession these boards have with Taylor comes from? I've watched a reasonable amount of SANFL and he rarely gets near it or has all that much impact.

I just don't see it.
Have you watched our last couple of SANFL games? He's been clearly in our top few this year. Had injuries last year and this is only his 2nd season.

Out: Cook, McHenry
In: Dowling, Murphy

Look, half forward is the toughest role in football, however, that's three out of four now where we've got absolutely nothing out of Cook. Time for Dowling to get a shot and a taster - as he might also track towards being an answer on the wing in a few weeks if Jones can't kick out of this slump.

Murphy goes to sub with McHenry out. I want to see us use Smith on the wing and this allows for that.
Schoenberg should come in before Dowling, he is looking back to his best and super fit

I’m not a big Himmelberg fan but he has offered us way more at AFL level than Gollant

I think we might need to accept that Gollant is a very good SANFL player however the step up to AFL is to big of a step

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Berg gives us a better genuine 2nd ruck option & also better forward structure. He is smart enough not to get in the way of Tex & Fog.

Gollant should be considered if we need to replace either Tex or Fog

Jones is a write off.

Comparing Jones to Cook in hardness is just silly.

Go watch last night again. That tackle stat doesnt paint an accurate picture. Jones put his head over the ball affecting play more in any one quarter than Cook did doing anything to affect play in an entire game.

Jones has plenty of flaws but you cant knock him for being soft.

Have you watched our last couple of SANFL games? He's been clearly in our top few this year. Had injuries last year and this is only his 2nd season.
I've watched the last 2 weeks (& various other bits & pieces this year), to say he was in our bests yesterday is a stretch. The week prior he was not too bad, but hardly a performance saying call him up. I haven't seen all other matches, I've commented here before whenever I watch SANFL he's ok but nothing that impressive. Then I hear him touted & I just question is this a case of people looking for a shiny new toy?

Back