Preview Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully going to the footy this Saturday arvo, up from Geelong but I hear the trains aren’t working, both VLine and Metro! How has the traffic been for those having to travel into the city this week? I am wondering whether this will have a major impact on our home game crowd? Definitely making me think about going when I would have been a lock to go.
I tried Monday. Got on a replacement “express” bus at Newport to Flagstaff at 7.30am. At 8.45 am I got off the bus still on Melbourne Road at Spotswood and walked home.

Yeah we are the same, will come in from Geelong by train if it’s working. I think our crowd will be effected by these disruptions though.

I'm even more concerned for the following week Friday night match against Collingwood.
Peak hour driving there 😱

I’ve watched plenty of games from Freo, Saints, Essendon this year. We won’t miss finals, we’re a better side than all 3. Despite the melting on our board, we really haven’t had any crazy unexpected results since round 2. As it stands we’re clearly a 5th to 8th side with a ton of scope for improvement in the midfield and forward half. My only lingering concern is our backline injuries, but if we get Richards back earlier than expected that does a lot to ease those concerns. Just need Jones back if we want to get anywhere against the better sides.

We’ll shit it in. Dogs to win by 40

Despite his quite game a few weeks ago, really think we need Art Jones back in the team. His speed is such an asset in defending the ground, especially against Fremantle who love the chip mark game, and his pressure (top 3 at club) really helps with keeping the ball in the fwd line. He was gassed in the Port game, but hopefully after the break he is good to go.

I'm really worried about the bye curse.
Teams coming off the bye are 0-8 this year playing non bye teams.

Most of those were expected losses against stronger teams
I wouldn't say that at all.

Brisbane got well beat by Hawthorn, Freo got well beat by Richmond, Essendon got well beaten by Freo, Melbourne lost to Geelong, Suns lost to Carlton.

All as teams off the bye against non-bye teams, all as favourites or near favourites and all beaten comfortably.

Against that, 0 wins.

The scoring percentage of bye teams vs non-bye teams this year is less than 60%.

Collectively teams off the bye have massively underperformed.

I wouldn't say that at all.

Brisbane got well beat by Hawthorn, Freo got well beat by Richmond, Essendon got well beaten by Freo, Melbourne lost to Geelong, Suns lost to Carlton.

All as teams off the bye against non-bye teams, all as favourites or near favourites and all beaten comfortably.

Against that, 0 wins.

The scoring percentage of bye teams vs non-bye teams this year is less than 60%.

Collectively teams off the bye have massively underperformed.
A number of those were heavy underdogs...

No they weren't.Brisbane, GCS, Melbourne were all favourites, Essendon and Freo were roughly even money.
Freo were heavy favourites to beat Essendope.

Melbourne were just favourite. Not strong at all. Geelong don't lose down there so I don't see the surprise at all.

Not sure why Richmond winning was a surprise at all.

Brisbane is crap away from home and have lost to Hawthorn there even recently.

Gold Coast were not favourite to beat Carltannk. That was in Melbourne and they certainly were not favourite.

Purple even said in his podcast on afl.com.au that he's not surprised at the results and only one was really surprising. People are just looking for excuses, losing to Freo this week has nothing to do with the bye if it happens

Has anyone got any semi-scientific theory why teams allegedly perform worse coming off the bye?

My simple logic says they should be rested, lots of small niggles have time to mend and they should come in mentally fresh and raring to go. Why does it appear to work the other way?

We'll know early on whether Freo has come to play, they are still a Jekyll and Hyde team, especially away from home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50 games up for Scotty :)

FYI - Marvel website is saying there is a partial level 3 closure.
Was for the game against North too. Apparently part of the renovations hence no big games or clubs scheduled there till our game next week, however it may be a sell out as part of the top level would still be closed.

If Luke Jackson kicks a bag on us like Lobb last year, will we look to recruit him?

Haha **** me. Imagine if Lobb on $500k ends up costing us Naughton as we can’t offer him anymore.

What an absolute disaster of a trade this will be and continue to be. He might’ve been handy for the next year or two but he’s pretty much giving us nothing. Not to mention overpaying at the trade table.

The real headache will be in years 3 & 4 when he’s playing VFL because will Darcy ahead of him and we can’t play them together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back