Roast Channel 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I just don't understand the bias sometimes. Why don't they like us?

-Everyone tips Hawthorn again.
-We are told at the start of the game that this is a big challenge for us because Hawthorn are a genuine contender, as if we haven't already beaten Hawthorn, Collingwood and Carlton this season, whilst the Hawks haven't beaten the latter two or us.
-Pods kicks a goal in the first quarter and all I hear is how crap he is away from home.
-In contrast, whenever Rioli and Franklin touch the ball, the commentary teams pretty much ejaculates.
-When we win, the first thing I hear is not how well we are traveling, how well Scott is doing in his first year, our re-invigoration, our consistency as a champion team - no, the first thing I hear is that we have won games by 1, 2, 3 and 5 points, almost as if those wins aren't really wins. Apparently, if you win by a small margin, you haven't played at all well enough to deserve a win. In reality, we are 7-4.

What an amateur and unprofessional commentary team. It would be great to hear a fair and objective call for once. This vitriol makes me want to mute the TV and watch in silence.

it's only human nature to dislike greatness and jealousy is usually the main contributor to that. Steven Quartermain is very biased obviously and surprisingly of them all it has been Robert Walls in recent months who has continually applauded the Geelong football club. I suspect he was very greatful in the manor Geelong conducted themselves in that Carlton match after the game, not getting carried away and always playing a fair hard contested game. The team never gets carried away with themselves when celebrating goals or wins against opposition and it's likely brushed off on Walls.

Luke Hodge did not do very much at all in the 4th quarter as opposed to Selwood who just continually ran himself into the contests. Even when Selwood missed a couple of shots there in the 4th he was quick to ask Walls if he wishes to take back his list of top 5 players in clutch-game situations. Eat it and reflect Quarterbrain:p

That pro hawthorn opening at the start of the match just about made me puke. I was beginning to think we mustn't be playing tonight after all because we barely got a mention. It was all how good Hawthorn is blah blah blah. Then Quartemaine & Darcy on talking about how good Hawthorn is and how they will win.

It was the worst one sided commentary I have heard in ages. I can't wait until next year when we have live telecasts of all games so I can listen to the radio instead of the crap TV commentary.

Disgraceful effort channel 10

Nah, the commentary was fine.

Having Hudson in the box balanced Quartermain during the call of the match. I thought they were both at pains not to be biased.

Who cares what the commentators predict in the lead-up? As if it's not obvious that the whole football world is just a little tired of the Cats at the top. How does that affect me exactly?

I went to the game, and I heard very bias post-match on SEN on the way home tonight.

Terry Wallace (a former Hawthorn player), kept emphasising some missed push-in-the-back decision on Buddy. He was adamant the ump missed the free, which would have set Buddy up for goal. They also kept talking about the 13-1 free kick count in our favour in the first quarter. It was almost as if they were insinuating that Geelong didn't deserve the win, or that Hawthorn were robbed.

Then you had the standard Hawthorn fan whinge about the bad umpiring etc. And they let these calls go to air. What I find strange is, try calling up about bad umpiring if you follow another team. If you do, you are told, in no uncertian terms that umpires need to be respected, so that it is easier to get umpires in local footy (yada, yadad). But when a Hawthorn supporter calls up and blames the umpires, it is allowed to get aired, and they are not even pulled into line like other supporters are.

There should be a rule on post-match on radio that any Hawthorn supporter who blames an umpire will have their call cut off.

Nah, the commentary was fine.

Having Hudson in the box balanced Quartermain during the call of the match. I thought they were both at pains not to be biased.

Who cares what the commentators predict in the lead-up? As if it's not obvious that the whole football world is just a little tired of the Cats at the top. How does that affect me exactly?

They seem so oblivious of what we have done though.

They were acting like we had spent the opening half of the season beating up on bottom 8 teams and needed to prove ourselves against a contender in Hawthorn - we have beaten the reigning premieres, we have beaten Carlton, we had beaten Hawthorn before tonight, the same could not be said for the Hawks. Yet we were the ones who needed to prove ourselves? After dominating the league since 2007, we need to prove ourselves?

It is amazing how since last years PF, the media attitude has changed regarding us. It's as if, regardless of what we do, we will not be considered a legitimate chance and there will constantly be calls for us to prove ourselves against a 'contender'.

They seem so oblivious of what we have done though.

They were acting like we had spent the opening half of the season beating up on bottom 8 teams and needed to prove ourselves against a contender in Hawthorn - we have beaten the reigning premieres, we have beaten Carlton, we had beaten Hawthorn before tonight, the same could not be said for the Hawks. Yet we were the ones who needed to prove ourselves? After dominating the league since 2007, we need to prove ourselves?

It is amazing how since last years PF, the media attitude has changed regarding us. It's as if, regardless of what we do, we will not be considered a legitimate chance and there will constantly be calls for us to prove ourselves against a 'contender'.

I have no idea either but your right, as soon as that game finished..alot of the hard work the club did and had achieved was almost flushed down the toilet and forgotten. Collingwood are currently being compared to the Brisbane Lions and they make sure they mention them winning the pre-season premiership beating most sides who experimented and played half their reserves. How many of those pre-season cups did Geelong win over the past 5 years?
Ye but anyways in some ways is a blessing because the pressure is all on Collingwood because if they do not win the flag this year then it's one of the biggest wastes of "so called talent" to not win it.
Wouldn't be surprised most commenatators and the media are gambling addicts and have wagered thousands & thousands of $$$ on Collingwood to win the flag this year so they just trying to protect their potential assets.

That pro hawthorn opening at the start of the match just about made me puke.

It clearly was the work of "Quarters" and raised an involuntary gaffaw on its conclusion.

The premise that a Hawks win tonight would place them as the only geniune challenger to Collingwood was pushing the bounds of artistic license and ultimately delusional. :p

I have no idea either but your right, as soon as that game finished..alot of the hard work the club did and had achieved was almost flushed down the toilet and forgotten. Collingwood are currently being compared to the Brisbane Lions and they make sure they mention them winning the pre-season premiership beating most sides who experimented and played half their reserves. How many of those pre-season cups did Geelong win over the past 5 years?
Ye but anyways in some ways is a blessing because the pressure is all on Collingwood because if they do not win the flag this year then it's one of the biggest wastes of "so called talent" to not win it.
Wouldn't be surprised most commenatators and the media are gambling addicts and have wagered thousands & thousands of $$$ on Collingwood to win the flag this year so they just trying to protect their potential assets.

When mentioning Collingwood winning the pre-season premiership, do they ever mention who exactly the last team was that performed the double by winning both the night and day premiership in the same year?

I was waiting for the Geelong-focused part of the game intro and expected it to follow the Hawthorn part (with the epic voice over).. was shocked when the whole thing was all about Hawthorn, they showed more Collingwood footage than Geelong throughout that whole montage! :thumbsdown:

The grass is always greener...;)

I don't think the call was particularly biased either way, but I'm sick of being told about how good Hodge, Rioli and Franklin are. Never have three players who had so little influence on a last quarter been talked up in such a massive way throughout it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have not watched the replay yet currently watching GC & North.
The thing is guys , the bias or perceived bias can work to our favour.

Thing of it from their point of view , what they say and then maybe what they think

Start of the year :
Lets face it they are old, sure they were great once but its over, done , turn out the lights. We all know that a side can only have 3 or 4 years at the top and Geelong have more guys over 28 than any other side in living history.

Actually thank god they will be going , its boring having them on TV , they just beat sides all the time. I can see why the killed phar lap , too good is just not interesting.

Hawthorn are expected to be the real challenger this year

Hawks now theres a side Buddy,Buddy,Buddy oohhh year baby. Excitement is what we want. They have to be the real thing look at the forwardline , look at their midfield .Sure their backline might be a little ordinary but it'll do the job.

Now :
OK , Geelongs on top and they have played well but they have been a champ side and one must admit they have pride. They will not just turn it up but they are still old. Its was not unexpected that they play well early but anytime now they will fall in a heap. Hawks have won 5 in a row and their coming. Sure they beat the Dogs but they are woefull and Geelong at Geelong is Geelong. The Cats have no forwardline. Pods is one trick pony that like to run at home.

They beat Saints , but their crap this year. Sure they won against the Pies but there was the Pendlbery thing. Carlton should have beat them but the ruckman was concussed. They have been very ,very lucky and very soon the truth will out

>>>

The media very much do their prognostications based on what has happened and all of them remember the Prelim more than anything. It will not change until we do it in a game as big as the Prelim.

Let us hope the other sides have these delusions of tongue and mind. I doubt they do. The teams that play us are generally sore the next week and know they have played a game of footy. But lets face , we have been lucky. You don't win 4 games by less than a goal without some luck.

No de-henderson what I heward Terry Wallace say is that it wasn't a free kick. But the Ch 10 commentary as its usual one sided against Geelong Bs.
Only in the last few mins did Walls say that loved watching Geelong play BUT only because of S Johnson.
Yes they salivated every time that Riopli got near the ball and of course he did nothing all night. Just like duddy sorry buddy

That pro hawthorn opening at the start of the match just about made me puke. I was beginning to think we mustn't be playing tonight after all because we barely got a mention. It was all how good Hawthorn is blah blah blah. Then Quartemaine & Darcy on talking about how good Hawthorn is and how they will win.

It was the worst one sided commentary I have heard in ages. I can't wait until next year when we have live telecasts of all games so I can listen to the radio instead of the crap TV commentary.

Disgraceful effort channel 10

What Promo? Here in country SA first we got 10mins of WWE then we cut into live action 5mins to go in the 1st quarter then with 2 mins to go in quarter they switched to the start of the game on delay.:mad:

A great night all round for Southern Cross Broadcasting

Don't know if anyone heard Walls yelled out "COP THAT PODS!" when he was double teamed in the goal square and didn't mark it.

They all have their bias, we are lucky that we have someone in the commentary team that is bias towards Geelong. I think most of the issues here are whether they actually can commentate or not, I can't stand Walls or Quartermain, not because of their perceived bias, they just cannot call a game of footy.

What Promo? Here in country SA first we got 10mins of WWE then we cut into live action 5mins to go in the 1st quarter then with 2 mins to go in quarter they switched to the start of the game on delay.:mad:

A great night all round for Southern Cross Broadcasting

That's what we got in Tas too.

Actually, there must have been a major stuff up as we are meant to get Saturday night games shown live and it was advertised as such, but we got Before the game played and the game delayed by 30 minutes instead.

I was pretty unhappy because of it, which is probably why the Channel 10 commentary bias irked me more than usual.

That's what we got in Tas too.

Actually, there must have been a major stuff up as we are meant to get Saturday night games shown live and it was advertised as such, but we got Before the game played and the game delayed by 30 minutes instead.

Then cut to some woman singing from an American morning show. No song or post match.

The thing that really grinds my gears abt the free kick crap anti-Geelong stuff is that if you look at any game we get crucified at times too, but we still win. Take Selwood getting smashed in the back into the ground on the 50m arc in the last quarter - play on. Happens all the time to both sides.

And I thought the commentary was woefully biased as well and agree with all said previously except that I do think Walls likes and respects Geelong. I just think by his nature and by way of his commentary role he looks for the negatives before the positives. Quarterbrain I used to like but now I think he is woeful, same for Darcy. They are lazy commentators for mine and just take the easy option rather than a bit of original thought.

I agree with what most of this.... I was really unimpressed with the coverage at the start.... The Hawks got more pumped up because they have won 5 in a row... even tho we have won 10 in a row (prior to last night)
But I guess they need to try and build up the contest...
And if we get no press the rest of the year and we win the flag I will be more than OK with it all :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back