Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Hi Fellow Cats Fans,

I know we are all basking in the glory of our 4th flag in 15 years but I was hoping that someone may have a copy of the 2007 channel 10 opener that was set to the song Forever Young - it was on youtube for a time but has been removed.

Help would be appreciated

Cheers,

SOG29

LOL "when Port Adelaide gets into grand finals, it wins them" :drunk:
Interesting sort of approach to the narrative coming into the GF - "Port always win grand finals". Maybe in the SANFL, but that's not the same league. It would be like talking about Geelong's VFA premierships. Different club and competition.

Yeah, Port were 1 from 1 in the AFL. But in the early 2000s they kept finishing the H&A in really good positions (3, 1, 1, 1) yet only made that one grand final. They were a bit like us in the 2010s, so presenting them us some sort of finals titans, with experienced clutch finals players, was a tad misleading. In reality they'd often stuffed up in finals before they even got to the GF.

I guess there wasn't a whole lot to the Port story compared to Geelong. They had won their first AFL flag a few years earlier. Meanwhile, Geelong did have the angle of trying once again to break the drought and make up for all the failed premiership pursuits from 89-95. Geelong also came in with all the heat. Nearly half the side was AA and they'd effectively steamrolled the competition since the early rounds. But all that would have made it seem highly Geelong centric in focus.

As we've seen, Port have never really parlayed their SANFL success into the AFL competition. It's something for them to draw on internally, maybe, but doesn't give them much leverage relative to the rest of the national competition.

Interesting sort of approach to the narrative coming into the GF - "Port always win grand finals". Maybe in the SANFL, but that's not the same league. It would be like talking about Geelong's VFA premierships. Different club and competition.

Yeah, Port were 1 from 1 in the AFL. But in the early 2000s they kept finishing the H&A in really good positions (3, 1, 1, 1) yet only made that one grand final. They were a bit like us in the 2010s, so presenting them us some sort of finals titans, with experienced clutch finals players, was a tad misleading. In reality they'd often stuffed up in finals before they even got to the GF.

I guess there wasn't a whole lot to the Port story compared to Geelong. They had won their first AFL flag a few years earlier. Meanwhile, Geelong did have the angle of trying once again to break the drought and make up for all the failed premiership pursuits from 89-95. Geelong also came in with all the heat. Nearly half the side was AA and they'd effectively steamrolled the competition since the early rounds. But all that would have made it seem highly Geelong centric in focus.

As we've seen, Port have never really parlayed their SANFL success into the AFL competition. It's something for them to draw on internally, maybe, but doesn't give them much leverage relative to the rest of the national competition.
TLDR EST 1997

I eyeroll every-time they try and claim that their history extends from that

They all look so young.

Channel 10 had to tart it up at the start to make it look like Port had a chance. Then again we still had the reputation of lightweights and had almost cocked it up the week before.

One of the best grand final openers.

Port were never a chance were they. What a bloody utensil up “when port get in the grand finals they win them” haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we are in 2007

What I find interesting, Collingwood lose by 5 points to Geelong, but tied with an undermanned West Coast, the previous week, and a better West Coast side lost to Port by 3 points, before that, that included Cousins and Judd, but they were injured late and never played for The Eagles again. Also, Port and Geelong both smash The Kanagroos. It really shows Port weren't potentially as bad as a 20 goal loss, they could have contested, they just completely folded on the day for some reason.

What I find interesting, Collingwood lose by 5 points to Geelong, but tied with an undermanned West Coast, the previous week, and a better West Coast side lost to Port by 3 points, before that, that included Cousins and Judd, but they were injured late and never played for The Eagles again. Also, Port and Geelong both smash The Kanagroos. It really shows Port weren't potentially as bad as a 20 goal loss, they could have contested, they just completely folded on the day for some reason.

Plus Port actually defeated Geelong at Kardinia Park just one month prior to the GF in 2007..

When we get in Ah ok ....hello to a record breaking loss... but that was Power not Magpies wasn't it .. Big fish little pond :rolleyes:

Its bit arrogant to think they only exist to win... cause means others only exist to be on the end of that result...

I actually liked the 2007 closer from Ch10.

Its been removed from Youtube now ... but it showed us with the ticket tape floating thru the air while the played the inception music. ... which gave it an ominous foreboding feeling... that a train was coming... and it certainly was..

".... You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter......."

Wow a lot has changed
Shows how far our club has come, as the openers of today (Melbourne PF is a good example) are the complete opposite of this one.

"How can this perennial loser knock off the powerhouse that is the Cats?"

Granted, many of those over the years haven't gone as planned, much like '07 for Port....but it's the thought that counts.

Choco just kept telling them to attack so his best soldiers kept attacking. His less brave soldiers didn't. Holes everywhere as a result. You can take aim at him for the loss but he never wanted to take a backwards step no matter the cost.

I actually liked the 2007 closer from Ch10.
Haven't seen but I liked the 2011 closer. Incidentally that was Anthony Hudson's last call for Channel 10. he 2022 grand Final was also his last call for SEN

They all look so young.

Channel 10 had to tart it up at the start to make it look like Port had a chance. Then again we still had the reputation of lightweights and had almost cocked it up the week before.
Port won their prelim by 80 points.

cats won their prelim by less then a goal.

port beat geelong in geelong only 6 weeks earlier.

it wasnt at all obvious pre game.

Port won their prelim by 80 points.

cats won their prelim by less then a goal.

port beat geelong in geelong only 6 weeks earlier.

it wasnt at all obvious pre game.
Cameron Mooney said in an interview he was nervous, before the match, it wasn't in The Geelong players minds it'd be a cake walk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back