Remove this Banner Ad

Monaco12

Rookie
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi guys,

Here's something I thought you might like! I've produced this episode of Nothin' Like the 90s, looking at the Geelong football club.

Would appreciate any feedback, and what part of Geelong in the 90s you think we should focus on in the next episode.

Cheers

Hi guys,

Here's something I thought you might like! I've produced this episode of Nothin' Like the 90s, looking at the Geelong football club.

Would appreciate any feedback, and what part of Geelong in the 90s you think we should focus on in the next episode.

Cheers

Loved it so far.
Obviously the switch from Blight to Ayres will be a big thing but also the fact that we keep running into these freak sides in grand finals

It's really good, and brought back some pretty good memories.

I think the one question I'd like to see addressed is just why we didn't nab a flag with that group.

I think, to be honest, history and hindsight has been a bit kinder on that Geelong team than we were at the time. In retrospect, we were beaten by a combination of three incredibly good sides, and our defence just wasn't anywhere near the standard of our forward line or midfield. Blight put it well in Open Mike when he said that, in retrospect, Stoneham should have played more at CHB and Billy at CHF; that would have helped enormously with curbing the tall forwards that gave us so much trouble in that era. Meanwhile, we had poor Tim Darcy giving away 10cm and 10kg at full-back.

It's interesting to look at some of the players that we did field in the '89 and '92 Grand Finals - with all due respect to the likes of Malekellis, Cameron, Schulze etc, they weren't at the same standard as the baseline in the West Coast or Hawthorn sides.

It's a good question jameviljez.

A factor for mine was our very poor drafting that didn't support the team we had with an injection of talent.

Eagles were a super team and a separate case but if you look at the other premiers in the early 90s you see these teams drafted and traded much better than us.

We got Hinkley and McGrath which were wins but I think Ben Graham was our first drafted to play 50 games . 7 years after the draft started. The amount of players drafted who didn't play a game or very few is astonishing..

Around the same time Essendon added Long Wanganeen and Hird. Carlton didn't draft very well but they did get Sexton and of course Williams.

Collingwood added the likes of Kelly Wright Russell Williams And Tony Francis.

I get the draft is a lottery to a degree and you can apply the same argument to modern day drafting hits and misses but I wonder if the clubs lack of professionalism around that time possibly meant limited resources were dedicated to drafting which may have cost us.

Just a thought to or what it's worth.

It's a good question jameviljez.

A factor for mine was our very poor drafting that didn't support the team we had with an injection of talent.

Eagles were a super team and a separate case but if you look at the other premiers in the early 90s you see these teams drafted and traded much better than us.

We got Hinkley and McGrath which were wins but I think Ben Graham was our first drafted to play 50 games . 7 years after the draft started. The amount of players drafted who didn't play a game or very few is astonishing..

Around the same time Essendon added Long Wanganeen and Hird. Carlton didn't draft very well but they did get Sexton and of course Williams.

Collingwood added the likes of Kelly Wright Russell Williams And Tony Francis.

I get the draft is a lottery to a degree and you can apply the same argument to modern day drafting hits and misses but I wonder if the clubs lack of professionalism around that time possibly meant limited resources were dedicated to drafting which may have cost us.

Just a thought to or what it's worth.
Good points, and it's probably got some merit that argument.

I'd say it was an issue league wide though. The amount of draft 'busts' was just so common especially in the early years of the 80s & 90s.

Freo especially had some shockers, and it's why it took them a while to really get going despite having some assistance as a new franchise.

I think clubs put much more focus into it nowadays. They're scouting players from 12 onwards and planning years out in advance.

Could be wrong, but I wouldn't think that was the case back then. At the very least, the net wouldn't have been cast nearly as wide.

I think the one question I'd like to see addressed is just why we didn't nab a flag with that group.

I think, to be honest, history and hindsight has been a bit kinder on that Geelong team than we were at the time. In retrospect, we were beaten by a combination of three incredibly good sides, and our defence just wasn't anywhere near the standard of our forward line or midfield. Blight put it well in Open Mike when he said that, in retrospect, Stoneham should have played more at CHB and Billy at CHF; that would have helped enormously with curbing the tall forwards that gave us so much trouble in that era. Meanwhile, we had poor Tim Darcy giving away 10cm and 10kg at full-back.

It's interesting to look at some of the players that we did field in the '89 and '92 Grand Finals - with all due respect to the likes of Malekellis, Cameron, Schulze etc, they weren't at the same standard as the baseline in the West Coast or Hawthorn sides.

In 1989 if we had played the ball in that first quarter instead of the man it might have turned out differently. Late 80s Hawthorn remains at the pinnacle for the best team I've seen. No shame dropping that by a kick.

In 1992 there was no doubt that West Coast were bloody good. But we were five goals up in that game and Matera Dustied us that day. We beat them in Perth that year and that's the one we should have won.

In 1994 West Coast were probably even better than in 1992. I reckon Geelong had a brilliant finals series just to get there. At quarter time we were in the game. But we were the walking wounded and perhaps history is rather unfold of that team. Carlton and North were probably better and we beat both.

1995 was a disaster. We went within a whisker at Princess Park and demolished our finals opponents but our performance that day was insipid. We were lucky not to lose by a hundred. Lucky for us Carlton got the deck chairs out and we bagged a few face savers. Carlton 95 were nowhere near the quality of the other sides rolled us in my book and that one really hurt as we all know.

Then there was 1991 where we edge the Saints and lose two narrow finals in a row. Not even a Granny. 1997 finish second, cop the Roos at night then have to go play at Football Park to a team that finished below us on the ladder. Throw in a non mark call to Colbert...thanks AFL.

Perhaps the real stinger was 1993. We beat every team in the top six (yes younger viewers top six) in the last six games and due to the shortened season we finish 12-8 and don't even make finals. GTFO.

Lady Luck also played its part. I'll go to my catbed in the sky believing that Barry Stoneham could have been up there with Carey if he didn't cop persistent leg injuries that ultimately curtailed his brilliance. Blight also tried to tweak his naturally aggressive style in 1993 and 1994. I believe in 1992/93 our group was at its peak and 1993 in particular might have been interesting if we qualified. Our nemesis the Eagles had a relatively lean year and there were several inexperienced combinations in the finals that year.

I wish I could say I forgotten this "almost" era but unfortunately I remember it all to well. Think I might wait for the next instalment. 😉

I think you nailed it. Our defence in ‘89 and ‘92 wasn’t up to scratch. Even our much vaunted midfield of Bairstow, Couch and Hocking were great one way runners but didn’t defend as well as the other teams we vied against for those flags.

If we’d had O’Reilly and Brad Sholl earlier then we could have won a couple. But by the time they arrived Ablett was in the twilight and Stoneham injured. A combined best team of that ‘89 to ‘95 period would have been almost unbeatable I think.

In 1992 there was no doubt that West Coast were bloody good. But we were five goals up in that game and Matera Dustied us that day. We beat them in Perth that year and that's the one we should have won.

In 1994 West Coast were probably even better than in 1992. I reckon Geelong had a brilliant finals series just to get there. At quarter time we were in the game. But we were the walking wounded and perhaps history is rather unfold of that team. Carlton and North were probably better and we beat both.

1995 was a disaster. We went within a whisker at Princess Park and demolished our finals opponents but our performance that day was insipid. We were lucky not to lose by a hundred. Lucky for us Carlton got the deck chairs out and we bagged a few face savers. Carlton 95 were nowhere near the quality of the other sides rolled us in my book and that one really hurt as we all know.

Then there was 1991 where we edge the Saints and lose two narrow finals in a row. Not even a Granny. 1997 finish second, cop the Roos at night then have to go play at Football Park to a team that finished below us on the ladder. Throw in a non mark call to Colbert...thanks AFL.

Perhaps the real stinger was 1993. We beat every team in the top six (yes younger viewers top six) in the last six games and due to the shortened season we finish 12-8 and don't even make finals. GTFO.

Lady Luck also played its part. I'll go to my catbed in the sky believing that Barry Stoneham could have been up there with Carey if he didn't cop persistent leg injuries that ultimately curtailed his brilliance. Blight also tried to tweak his naturally aggressive style in 1993 and 1994. I believe in 1992/93 our group was at its peak and 1993 in particular might have been interesting if we qualified. Our nemesis the Eagles had a relatively lean year and there were several inexperienced combinations in the finals that year.

I wish I could say I forgotten this "almost" era but unfortunately I remember it all to well. Think I might wait for the next instalment. 😉
iN 92 apparently Bairstow got kicked on the knee on the morning of the GF by one of the racehorses he was training for the Geel president . He shouldnt have been training racehorses - just pure stupidity - and so dangerous . Anyone who has had anything to do with horses knows that - and theres been very experienced trainers who have been double barrelled by horses who they thought were real old stable sweethearts - the kindest if spooked can react with no warning whatsoever

In 94 M Blight said was his biggest dissappointment at Geel - simply because the council re sanded the ground in GF Week - and the players trained - did their main session on it - and in his words because of that - in the GF they could not lift their legs - and thats exactly what it looked like

Ive got no problem with the Cats losing those GFs - because they did come up against 3 champion teams - but the Geel Club did not help their cause by doing some really unprofessional stuff

iN 92 apparently Bairstow got kicked on the knee on the morning of the GF by one of the racehorses he was training for the Geel president . He shouldnt have been training racehorses - just pure stupidity - and so dangerous . Anyone who has had anything to do with horses knows that - and theres been very experienced trainers who have been double barrelled by horses who they thought were real old stable sweethearts - the kindest if spooked can react with no warning whatsoever

In 94 M Blight said was his biggest dissappointment at Geel - simply because the council re sanded the ground in GF Week - and the players trained - did their main session on it - and in his words because of that - in the GF they could not lift their legs - and thats exactly what it looked like

Ive got no problem with the Cats losing those GFs - because they did come up against 3 champion teams - but the Geel Club did not help their cause by doing some really unprofessional stuff

Didn’t Barnes go out drinking the night before the ‘95 GF?

Didn’t Barnes go out drinking the night before the ‘95 GF?

Interesting you say that - like there are rumours and there are rumours to the cows come home

However shortly after that GF i was told by someone re along the lines of what you have posted - that there were 4 Geel players involved - i can remember 2 of the other 3 named - however i didnt know whether to believe the person who told me - and also at the time i just thought surely it couldnt have happened

But then look at one of our coaches - when the rumours were circulating - i thought no this is all bullshiit - but it wasnt bullshiit

In 1989 if we had played the ball in that first quarter instead of the man it might have turned out differently. Late 80s Hawthorn remains at the pinnacle for the best team I've seen. No shame dropping that by a kick.

I wish I could say I forgotten this "almost" era but unfortunately I remember it all to well. Think I might wait for the next instalment.

I think we were robbed in 1997 actually. From memory the first final against the Roos was on a Sunday night too. In the rain which didn’t come until the evening. I was at the game. Carey ate us up. The fact we had to then travel to Adelaide was beyond a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we were robbed in 1997 actually. From memory the first final against the Roos was on a Sunday night too. In the rain which didn’t come until the evening. I was at the game. Carey ate us up. The fact we had to then travel to Adelaide was beyond a joke

Maybe. What's frequently forgotten is that we'd played North at the MCG earlier in the year and beat them. With Carey.

There isn't an excuse for that first finals loss. They were good enough to beat them, they just didn't.

Last edited:

People say Geelong were too Ablett centric back then - but in 91 finished 3rd without him up and about and second on the ladder in 97 (after he retired).
I thought they were at least as Good as North who were incredibly lucky to get weak sides in their Grand Finals, essendon also.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe. What's frequently forgotten is that we'd played North at the MCG earlier in the year and beaten them. With Carey.

There isn't an excuse for that first finals loss. They were good enough to beat them, they just didn't.
They were unlucky in 97, having to play north at the G was like having the pies or Richmond at the G back then after finishing second, but having to travel to Adelaide the week after was even more unfair. Thank god the finals system changed after Carltanks reward for failure in 99.

Also didnt help that Gary Ayres was the coach.

I liked 92-93. 92 we just scored so heavily and should’ve won the cup, but P Matera put on a clinic. 93 was the Ablett shift to full forward…. 124 from 17 games for the Coleman…. 14 , 11, 10 in losing teams was a bit embarrassing though, but still it was the Ablett show. That was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It forever gets under my skin that Geelong are not allowed to play home finals because they cannot fit enough people into their stadium. Yet, the AFL would have no issue if GWS earnt the right to play Collingwood or anyone else at home in their tiny stadium.

There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that the Cats would have won another 1-2 flags, if we weren't forever being forced to play teams like Richmond, Collingwood and North Melbourne etc., at their home ground, when we had bloody earnt the right for a home final ourselves.

The injustice shows no sign of stopping either.

I liked 92-93. 92 we just scored so heavily and should’ve won the cup, but P Matera put on a clinic. 93 was the Ablett shift to full forward…. 124 from 17 games for the Coleman…. 14 , 11, 10 in losing teams was a bit embarrassing though, but still it was the Ablett show. That was great!
Ablett only played 17 games that year? Wow that's insane!

If it was a full 22 game season, and he played every week, he would have no doubt smashed the 150 record.

It forever gets under my skin that Geelong are not allowed to play home finals because they cannot fit enough people into their stadium. Yet, the AFL would have no issue if GWS earnt the right to play Collingwood or anyone else at home in their tiny stadium.

There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that the Cats would have won another 1-2 flags, if we weren't forever being forced to play teams like Richmond, Collingwood and North Melbourne etc., at their home ground, when we had bloody earnt the right for a home final ourselves.

The injustice shows no sign of stopping either.

It wasn't an injustice in 2007, 2009, 2011, or 2022. We played all our finals at the MCG in those years too. Off the top of my head against MCG tenants too (Collingwood in all 4 years).

Maybe. What's frequently forgotten is that we'd played North at the MCG earlier in the year and beat them. With Carey.

Was at that first game. My recollection was that Derek Hall played out of his skin and Paul Lynch was terrific in a rare game that he was able to get on the park to demonstrate his considerable talent.

The 90's was the period where I was resigned to the fact that I would never again see a flag, but I was glad to be wrong.

Same.

By the time that decade was done a lot of scarring had been inflicted.

Those that have essentially followed the club since the early 2000's have had a blessed time as a supporter.

Following the team through the wilderness wasn't so enjoyable.

The 90's was the period where I was resigned to the fact that I would never again see a flag, but I was glad to be wrong.

Me too. After that period, I just wanted to see one, so to see four has been beyond my wildest dreams. But I still crave more!

Overcoming injustices does not make them any less unjust.

Except that from 2007-2011 there was no mention at all of it actually being unjust.

Nor was it in 2016, when we rather inconveniently faced a MCG tenant in a Qualifying Final. Who we finished higher on the ladder than. Even more inconvenient was that we won.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back