Analysis Geelong's overall record in VFL/AFL finals

Remove this Banner Ad

rapidfire7

All Australian
Jul 28, 2008
London, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Geelong
I was watching the last quarter of the '63 Grand Final earlier, where in the comments, someone was lamenting this frustrating era for Geelong, where they could only manage 1 flag from 8 successive finals appearances (1962-1969).

In some ways, you could argue that this era was not too dissimilar from '89-'97 & '12-'22. An enormous amount of finals appearances, without a lot of ultimate success.

Needless to say, unlike their home and away efforts, Geelong has been a poor finals performer throughout their history, with a win rate of only 45% (compared to 55% across all games).

A classic example of this is that Geelong has played in the identical number of finals as Essendon (132) for 9 less Grand Finals and 6 less Premierships, and the comparison with Carlton is very similar.

Teams like Richmond, (94) Melbourne (92) and the Hawks (86) have played in a lot less finals than Geelong (132), but have also been far more successful when it counts.

Geelong has won the 4th most games in VFL/AFL history, and has a winning record against all bar Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon, but sadly, have more often than not, failed to capitalise at the business end of the season.

Having said that, Geelong's record once they make the Grand Final is reasonable with 10 wins from 19 starts (excluding the 1897 finals round robin). Their much bigger issue has been converting finals appearances into Grand Final appearances.

Last edited:
It's probably a bit like the 60's, although i guess the Selwood era encompasses the four Flags from '07-22, an era that's right up there with say Carlton's '68-'82 (six flags) and Richmond's '67-'82 era as well (5 flags).

I guess in our latest Scott era, we've been beaten comprehensively in a few finals (2014, 2016, 2017 twice, 2018, 2021 twice), whereas the 60's saw Geelong on a few occasions lose a vital game late in the year to miss out on a top-2 position, and we seemed to cop Essendon a fair bit in that era, and Richmond '67 and '69, sides that had the wood on us. Perhaps it is the strong home ground advantage that perhaps enables Geelong to perhaps win a small percent more games above it's station in the H & A over the years and in finals, without that advantage we are more 50/50, or indeed as we are, more about 45%.

Mind you as long as I draw breath the funereal feeling walking out of the 2013 QF at K.P against Freo, coughing up an absolute golden opportunity to progress into the PF weekend with a week off is something I'll never forget. Hopefully in the coming years whatever Geelong do, making sure they fire up and aim to crush the likes of Freo, GWS and Sydney (sides that seem to love playing us at K.P) becomes something we can do. It just seems worse losing to an interstate side at home than even say the Dogs or Dees, teams that have won at K.P recently.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back