Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah can't be too happy with that given how many eggs there were. Still the flock numbers are coming back up which is nice.

Do you get special chick food? Not sure what makes it different, had no experience with anything younger than point of lay.

Planning to do some home breeding with the rooster?
I just feed them damp wheet-bix and rolled oats at the start and other small scraps, they don't take long at all to just eat like a big chicken really.

If I can keep him I plan on doing some breeding with the rooster for more sussex and maybe cross him with some others I got to produce some hopefully interesting chooks. Also it's funny hadn't even planned on getting any Pekin eggs originally and just took them as a bonus but was probably most annoyed at them getting killed, really liked them.

Also it's funny hadn't even planned on getting any Pekin eggs originally and just took them as a bonus but was probably most annoyed at them getting killed, really liked them.

Yeah those Pekins are so cute with their furry little feet.

various-young-pekin-chickens-51ec38759be14.JPG

Well that's unlucky, one of the chicks about to break out this morning must have been completely rolled back exactly upside down on to the hole where it was getting for an hour or so after I put it back and looks to be dead now :( Must have strangled itself or something trying to twist back around..

Also the first chick that came out pretty sure isn't even Pekin because it has nothing on its feet and is the same colour as the others, must be either a cross or one from an unusually small Sussex egg :confused: Maybe from a pullet I guess.

That's a shame because I really wanted to replace the little Buff ones (although still very happy to have 1 little black chap) ah well maybe next spring. ****ing fox.
Sorry to hear that, Kram.
It's a very wise person who first coined the saying, "Don't count your chickens until they've hatched." :(
The poor little bugger would've provably been too weak to get itself out of trouble. It's such a shame! :(

How different does it taste from the factory farmed stuff they sell at the supermarket?

I haven't eaten proper chook since a kid when dad culled some roosters, stopped eating the stuff from shops a few years ago.
I can't remember the taste but I remember the dead chooks running around and can still remember the horrible smell of wet feathers in the laundry where Mum had soaked the chooks prior to plucking them.
smiley-sick007.gif

Oh ffs the other last one died after hatching out :mad: So ended up with 4 Sussex and 1 Pekin, a little disappointing but better than nothing I guess. Hopefully get a couple of hens after all that..

Now overall have 5 adult hens of different ages, 5 pullet hens and 1 cockerel, 2 little un Sussex and the mother with 5 chicks.

Mother seems fine but doesn't seem to feed them as much as usual just eating herself.
:(
Mother hens don't feed chicks, do they? Chicks don't usually eat for about 2-3 days. They've got enough in them from being inside the egg to go without. And isn't there stuff left in the shell that either the mother or babies eat?

Sorry to hear that, Kram.
It's a very wise person who first coined the saying, "Don't count your chickens until they've hatched." :(
The poor little bugger would've provably been too weak to get itself out of trouble. It's such a shame! :(
The other one after it managed to completely get out but died a couple of hours later so there was probably something wrong with both of them anyway. Don't recall any dying late like this late before but with the last mum getting crook and inconsistent temperature from that causing the late hatching it's not surprising I guess.

It tastes absolutely beautiful. Almost melts in your mouth when you chew.You don't get so bloated and your body recognizes its fuller, sooner. The eggs are again another level above. You need less to make cakes, patties, ect. Organic chook products build muscle better and you s**t better.

i have a metabolism that loves chicken. But I won't eat supermarket chicken products.
Well, THAT'S important! :D

:(
Mother hens don't feed chicks, do they? Chicks don't usually eat for about 2-3 days. They've got enough in them from being inside the egg to go without. And isn't there stuff left in the shell that either the mother or babies eat?
What do you mean by don't feed them? Mine usually grab any food in their beaks and offer it to the chicks first before eating it themselves. I know they don't have to eat for quite awhile but the Sussex seem to be pretty much interested at pecking at food straight away once they are clean and dried off after hatching. Haven't noticed the Pekin eating yet but they seem to be significantly weaker when hatched and the ones I've had before have taken full day or 2 to get much strength and coordination.

Yeah can't be too happy with that given how many eggs there were. Still the flock numbers are coming back up which is nice.

Do you get special chick food? Not sure what makes it different, had no experience with anything younger than point of lay.

Planning to do some home breeding with the rooster?
The special chick food is called "starter crumble" and has antibiotic or something in it to prevent coccidiosis (sp?)- that's from 0-6 weeks.
From 6- about 18 weeks, I think, they get fed grower crumble or pellets (half size pellets).
18 weeks + it's layer crumble or pellets.

Each stage has different protein and calcium proportions. Laying hens can't eat the starter crumble because the crumble contains stuff that gets into the eggs and we're not meant to eat that.

What do you mean don't feed? Mine usually grab any food in their beaks and offer it to the chicks first before eating it themselves. I know they don't have to eat for quite awhile but the Sussex seem to be pretty much interested at pecking at food straight away once they are clean and dried off after hatching. Haven't noticed the Pekin eating yet but they seem to be significantly weaker when hatched and the ones I've had before have taken full day or 2 to get much strength and coordination.
Have you ever taken eggs straight from an incubator? The mother doesn't feed them. That's sort of what I was saying- the chicks quickly fend for themselves.
Hope they get some strength soon.

The other one after it managed to completely get out but died a couple of hours later so there was probably something wrong with both of them anyway. Don't recall any dying late like this late before but with the last mum getting crook and inconsistent temperature from that causing the late hatching it's not surprising I guess.
I think you're right there, unfortunately. A few things went wrong, didn't they? I think you were worried about eggs that didn't seem to be getting under the mother to be kept warm, when she originally sat on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's SO cute!!
My cats often sit in the pen with my chickens, stalking the local pigeon population. :)
I don't know how they can tell that my chicks are off limits.
Animals aren't as silly as us humans think ;) They know who is part of the household.

The old bloke said the same thing, had chicks occasionally knocked off by neighbours' cats but never by one of their own ones in over 60 years of keeping chickens.

lol!! Had to have a laugh... "The rooster has sex with all of them"... "That's perverse!" :D

How are little Smokey and his siblings going?? Have you named the others yet?
Nah don't usually name chooks specifically and they all look almost the same at this stage anyway. They are all good, will start letting them out of their cage for runs in the yard in a week or so when they are too big to get nabbed by any crows.

I was driving a few kms past my place late yesterday afternoon and saw two huge wedge tail eagles flying and hovering... I had seen one near there before but gee, it was an awesome sight just watching them both soar and glide!! I've had one fly around my backyard, too- and have always got little chicken hawks or whatever they are hovering overhead and sending the chickens into a mad panic.
And something stole my favourite friendly rooster one day- just left a small pile of loose feathers on the back lawn :cry: I'm positive it was an eagle. :mad:

Hey guys any recommendation on a place to buy a coop? I am at a loss of how/where to start. Do I make one out of an old shed? Buy something etc. Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys any recommendation on a place to buy a coop? I am at a loss of how/where to start. Do I make one out of an old shed? Buy something etc. Any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bunnings, City Farmers, online?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/landscaping/pet-structures/aviaries-chicken-coops

I'm pretty sure I've seen coops in my local City Farmers- give them a call or just drop in and ask.

We have a mixture of home made stuff plus coops we've bought as flat packs. You can buy a coop and put up some stakes and fence off an area, if you have room- or just use the coop if you don't intend getting lots of chickens.
I guess it depends on how handy you are, too. You can buy some treated pine or whatever, and construct something of your own design.

Yeah, I have locked her out. The other chook (the good one) lays in there though, so I have to unlock the hatch late at night, collect the egg in the morning and then yank the broody one out for the day.

Stupid chicken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back