Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

IMGP2184.jpg

A bit better photo of the little chap enjoying some mince. Pretty funny how I ended up with a black one because pretty much only breeds buffs for the show, but I did happen to notice just the 1 black one waddling around at his place when I was there so it's obviously from that.

(geez I really need to get off my backside to sand and paint that window sill behind him :$ pretty much everything else in the renovated kitchen was finished months ago..)

IMGP2184.jpg

A bit better photo of the little chap enjoying some mince. Pretty funny how I ended up with a black one because pretty much only breeds buffs for the show, but I did happen to notice just the 1 black one waddling around at his place when I was there so it's obviously from that.

(geez I really need to get off my backside to sand and paint that window sill behind him :$ pretty much everything else in the renovated kitchen was finished months ago..)

He's pretty cute!!! I was hoping to get some black silkies to play with my white ones but never got around to it.

Don't stress about the windowsill- I tend to either not post photos if I find the background too messy or I try to crop it out :oops: You aren't the only one who has work to do around the place ;)

I like how the chick shits all over the Freo emblem.
I think it's just lining the emblem up for a real GOOD pasting!! :D

Speaking of that end of a chicken- if a hen is laying all over the pen (i.e. everywhere apart from in the nest), just dropping the eggs in the sand in the middle of the yard, could she be said to be incontinent? ;)

I found one broken in front of the nest the other day and thought it was a failed attempt by a crow to steal it. Yesterday there was one right in the corner next to the fence...
I think it's too early for an Easter Egg hunt and I also think it's too hot to have them sitting in the sand all day in the sun, until I go in to check the chicks at the end of the day.

I think about 90% of the time it would be a crow, only ever seen it once in person but it's a pretty funny sight seeing a bird fly through the air with a massive egg in its mouth. Although very occasionally I've had them decide to lay them in some random place in the open.

edit - only other thing is if you have an egg eater sometimes they pick or roll them out of the nest into the yard.

I think about 90% of the time it would be a crow, only ever seen it once in person but it's a pretty funny sight seeing a bird fly through the air with a massive egg in its mouth. Although very occasionally I've had them decide to lay them in some random place in the open.

edit - only other thing is if you have an egg eater sometimes they pick or roll them out of the nest into the yard.
There's a 3' drop to the ground- I think maybe it's just an older hen, laying sporadically, and perhaps the egg slipped out. I've seen the hen on the nest at times during the past week but no eggs laid (or maybe they were stolen?)...

Not worth worrying about - those hens are down the back 'cos they've pretty much stopped laying.

Well I got him from an Eagles' supporter so maybe it's breed into him ;) I could name him after one of the Eagles' indigenous players I guess but it's probably a bit unfair on a baby to name them after a spud :p
Whatever you do, don't name it after Chick!!
or Zac Beeck...

What about Freo players? There's Ruffles, Grover or Black that might suit :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baha, Ruffles for sure
:) Yes- I quite liked that name, too!

"Ruffles" would be a cute name for a frizzle hen...
Charisse1.JPEG

This (frizzle) is what we were eventually going to get- wish I'd grabbed a few from my cousin when he was breeding them.. :(
And I just love the Polish Frizzles (the brown frizzle has a spangled sebright next to her/him):
Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 8.44.01 am.png Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 8.43.29 am.png Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 8.42.38 am.png

Aren't they just SO cute???

Well this is officially f***ing bullshit, almost certainly lost my little sussex hen vanishing out of thin air this morning, whilst I'M AT HOME! Let it and its rooster pal out of the laundry to do the washing at 7am into the yard and brazen **** must have come jumped the fence grabbed it and it's gone when I went to give them a feed at 9.

Only other thing I guess is it somehow got out into the front yard and someone's shitty stray dog or something got it, but that would surprise me because they haven't shown any tendency to escape the yard before.

*!! That is s**t!!! :mad:

I have 2 big hawks flying over my pens every morning now :eek: Do you think it might've been a hawk?

Any feathers lying around?

They're pretty clever little buggers- did you check in all the nooks and crannies? And up trees? Mine used to jump into trees when they were frightened.

Nah wouldn't be a hawk it's pretty big and they don't really hang around town much and it would easily find cover from one quickly anyway.

Yep it's taking the piss, cant really see of its feathers.. Sussex don't fly much, I guess it could be hiding under the house tucked away in a corner but I reckon it's gone.
IMGP2197.jpg

Above is the gate on the side of the house which is where it is most likely getting in, the lowest and most easiest point to sneak in, I was literally sitting on the other side of that wall this morning..
IMGP2198.jpg

I mean there is the same sort of the fence over the carport side but it's a lot more wide open that side so I'd be surprised if it was going in that way.

Unbelievable, during the ****ing day. Put little rooster into the big pen, but now I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do with the mum and babies because they need to be let loose in the yard during the day because they cant live in their tiny sleeping cage all the time.

Might have to get hold of a trap or something and try and kill it short of turning the place into 'Fort Fox' to solve the problem, it's obviously going to be back..

Teriyakicat I think my old chook has started laying again. She must be sleeping on one side of the partition then laying on the nicer side in the nest the other two have made because I got 3 eggs one morning over the weekend.

Nah wouldn't be a hawk it's pretty big and they don't really hang around town much and it would easily find cover from one quickly anyway.

Yep it's taking the piss, cant really see of its feathers.. Sussex don't fly much, I guess it could be hiding under the house tucked away in a corner but I reckon it's gone.
IMGP2197.jpg

Above is the gate on the side of the house which is where it is most likely getting in, the lowest and most easiest point to sneak in, I was literally sitting on the other side of that wall this morning..
IMGP2198.jpg

I mean there is the same sort of the fence over the carport side but it's a lot more wide open that side so I'd be surprised if it was going in that way.

Unbelievable, during the ****ing day. Put little rooster into the big pen, but now I don't know what the hell I'm gonna do with the mum and babies because they need to be let loose in the yard during the day because they cant live in their tiny sleeping cage all the time.

Might have to get hold of a trap or something and try and kill it short of turning the place into 'Fort Fox' to solve the problem, it's obviously going to be back..
:mad:
I would expect if it was a fox, there'd be a lot more mess- like the last time. I had 4 large red hens dead/missing plus 2 with broken necks on our last fox visit. :( They like to play.
I have my fingers crossed that she's under the house but hens do prefer to stay with others. It's all very weird.

Teriyakicat I think my old chook has started laying again. She must be sleeping on one side of the partition then laying on the nicer side in the nest the other two have made because I got 3 eggs one morning over the weekend.
That is great news, estibador!!
My red hens have been very quiet- sometimes 2 eggs from 4 hens, sometimes none..
I thought it was crows, then I blamed the thunder, then I got 2 eggs, then I found an egg shell out in the bush this morning, broken open...
F$&@ing crows!!!
...or rats...
...Or something!!
:mad:

It was really a lovely tame little thing :(

Lady down the road said she heard some commotion in the school's chicken yard 2 nights ago and noticed something had been trying to dig under the fence. Might speak to them about if they've been losing many and maybe try and get a trap set up. So from that first lot of 14 eggs I'm only left with one bloody rooster.

FFS about 3/4 of my chickens in this thread are now dead! :mad:

It was really a lovely tame little thing :(

Lady down the road said she heard some commotion in the school's chicken yard 2 nights ago and noticed something had been trying to dig under the fence. Might speak to them about if they've been losing many and maybe try and get a trap set up. So from that first lot of 14 eggs I'm only left with one bloody rooster.

FFS about 3/4 of my chickens in this thread are now dead! :mad:
It's be good if you can all gang up on whatever the culprit is. More chance of winning the fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back