Children to be admitted Free to Sunday AFL matches

Remove this Banner Ad

These sort of things just go to show what a sh*t deal Sunday games are for the clubs that get lumped with them in Victoria.

Thankfully they got rid of Sundays in other states, so we never have to attend footy on that wretched day. I shudder at the thought of it.

You should petition freo for more Sunday arvo games
We've only got a whole 12 of them.. Not my favourite day for the footy either being in the country but Vic clubs crying about them and their soft sections of supporters not going to them is hilarious.

If your supporter base is that picky that they can't go to a few Sunday games then day are pretty pathetic.

That's great, really insightful.

The point is that certain clubs have a monopoly on the most popular days and other clubs do not. The AFL even considering this shows that they know the detrimental effect on attendances. People through the gate make money for clubs in one of the few ways that the AFL has less control. Open your eyes. Collingwood played Carlton on a Sunday for the first time since Jesus last year and we almost had a royal commission. The dogs play eight of them this year for example. What is their reward for wearing this for the TV rights? The value of the TV rights is artificially inflated by the compromised fixture and yet those who carry the burden are those least able to do so.

That's great, really insightful.

The point is that certain clubs have a monopoly on the most popular days and other clubs do not. The AFL even considering this shows that they know the detrimental effect on attendances. People through the gate make money for clubs in one of the few ways that the AFL has less control. Open your eyes. Collingwood played Carlton on a Sunday for the first time since Jesus last year and we almost had a royal commission. The dogs play eight of them this year for example. What is their reward for wearing this for the TV rights? The value of the TV rights is artificially inflated by the compromised fixture and yet those who carry the burden are those least able to do so.

We play 12, where's our 'reward'.

We play 12, where's our 'reward'.

What's your point?

You play in a two team market and your direct competitor gets the same treatment. We barely hear a word out of the non-vic clubs about their treatment and fixturing. I would and have suggested previously that the non Victorian clubs should be shouting their support for the smaller Victorian clubs and agitating for change as often as possible. They do not do so and this is to the benefit of the big Vic clubs.

I don't have an issue with Fremantle wanting a better schedule, your point appears to be that you have it s**t so bad luck for everyone else. This neglects the fact that certain Melbourne teams most definitely do not have it s**t.

In other words we should be brothers in arms. I'm not sure why that hasn't been the case except for the propoganda pushed that the small Melbourne clubs are draining clubs like yours. That quite simply does not have to be the case.

As I said, it depends on how this translates as a deal for the clubs.

The AFL could well pay for the kids as a practical means of compensating for the crap time slot.

It currently costs me $5.00 to take my seven year old to a game. Do you really think compensation is needed for the few thousand dollars that would be lost?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of. The SANFL are working in a deal with the AFL where they will bill the clubs and not the parents for the tickets.

The sticking point seems to be that the SANFL are adamant they also need to be compensated for the costs involved with the changes. Being Sunday games they have to pay triple time to a minimum of 20 people plus 30 supervisors so that they can count the number of children that walk through the gates.
They have also warned the AFL that having an unknown number of non ticketed spectators may result in increased wastage due to potential over-catering as well as increased cleaning costs due to the extra food that will be sold and as much as they don't want to, they will have no option but to pass these costs on to the clubs.

The Adelaide City Council is also expected to increase their security fees to ensure a safe and happy time for all families attending Sunday football games, at triple rates of course.

Both the SANFL and the ACC have publicly stated that this is a great initiative by the AFL and are 100% in support.

Despite having 5 times as many teams as other states (and in part because of it), here's the Vic teams in 5 of the top 8 spots and interstate teams in the bottom 3:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=R&h=H&s=A

That said of course it will benefit Victorian clubs attendances (or should) but really any move is more for GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane. Getting families converted to AFL in the Northern states is vital for those clubs.

Yes, of course both WA and SA have the same population as Victoria! Are you clueless?

Last edited:
What's your point?

You play in a two team market and your direct competitor gets the same treatment. We barely hear a word out of the non-vic clubs about their treatment and fixturing. I would and have suggested previously that the non Victorian clubs should be shouting their support for the smaller Victorian clubs and agitating for change as often as possible. They do not do so and this is to the benefit of the big Vic clubs.

I don't have an issue with Fremantle wanting a better schedule, your point appears to be that you have it s**t so bad luck for everyone else. This neglects the fact that certain Melbourne teams most definitely do not have it s**t.

In other words we should be brothers in arms. I'm not sure why that hasn't been the case except for the propoganda pushed that the small Melbourne clubs are draining clubs like yours. That quite simply does not have to be the case.

Personally, I'd rather the smaller Vic clubs just disappear then the rest become stronger!

That said of course it will benefit Victorian clubs attendances (or should) but really any move is more for GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane. Getting families converted to AFL in the Northern states is vital for those clubs.
I don't know about other clubs, but the SUNS have no Sunday home games in 2015. None. So it's definitely not aimed at us.

AFL give children free entry to Sunday footy, freezes ticket prices, axes complicated seating classes

• 12 HOURS AGO DECEMBER 18, 2014 12:00AM

SUNDAY footy will be free for children, complicated seating classes will go, and ticket prices will be frozen as the AFL tries to reconnect with its heartland.

Children under 15 will be able to go to every Sunday match at the MCG and Etihad Stadium next season free.

General admission prices will remain at this season’s $25 and “walk-up’’ seats will be available at all games except the Anzac Day blockbuster between Essendon and Collingwood.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...-seating-classes/story-fnelctok-1227159935352

It is actually not a bad idea and if it helps get a few more people to some games in melbourne that is great to.
But the AFL need to stop doing things for only certain areas.
The AFL need to make sure every decision they make is exactly the same for all clubs nation wide. If they can't make a decision for all clubs nation wide then simply put they should just not do it.
They must stop this one rule for this and another rule for that routine. The last I looked Victoria easily gets the most people to footy out of all the states so surely they should be concentrating on every other state and not Victoria.
Just another of a long line of things they do which just makes them look so amateur and still the VFL.

It is actually not a bad idea and if it helps get a few more people to some games in melbourne that is great to.
But the AFL need to stop doing things for only certain areas.
The AFL need to make sure every decision they make is exactly the same for all clubs nation wide. If they can't make a decision for all clubs nation wide then simply put they should just not do it.
They must stop this one rule for this and another rule for that routine. The last I looked Victoria easily gets the most people to footy out of all the states so surely they should be concentrating on every other state and not Victoria.
Just another of a long line of things they do which just makes them look so amateur and still the VFL.

Agreed. Certain parameters are in place for certain clubs and it should be the same for all as far as scheduling goes - i.e. every club should have a chance of getting sent to Geelong in the middle of winter at night, or sent to Tassie in the middle of the season or to Perth at the start of the season for a 2pm local start etc. etc. - not just the usual suspects copping the brunt based on their determined "crowd-drawing" factor

That's good for family's who don't support their clubs by buying memberships. Do I get a refund for all Sunday games that my kids attend?

I still think the biggest problem to the Sunday afternoon match is the time 3:20 start sucks give, away as much free kids tickets as you like it wont change the fact that the time slot is a hassle for families.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back