Social Chit Chat III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess Tendulkar was a dud.
DB is flattered by no sub continent games.

I find it funny that people think its easy to play there.
Yet, all our best were smashed there.

Yep, sanga.

And to be honest I shouldn't have even mentioned DB.
Enormous record as far as I'm concerned.

He may even have like India.
Hit 6, sixes in his career. Cricket was a ground game for him. So bounce wasn't his thing.

Couldn't even get off the boat in 48 at mumbai.
10,000 people there just for him. The rest of the team got off. He couldn't.

My god he must have been enormous. What would he get paid now?

I love watching Kumar and he was arguably the best batsmen in the World Cup. He simply is not in the top 10 batsmen of all time. Behind all of...

Bradman, Lara, Hobbs, Tendulkar, Ponting, Sobers, Hutton, Richards (Viv, shame apartheid meant less of Barry Richards:(), Kallis, Dravid and Border. Daresay he'll slip behind De Villiers by the end of his career. Now there's a freak.

The fact is his spike in his average from just over 50 after 80 tests to where it is now has coincided with two things. Jayawardena taking the gloves and the larger proportion of matches at home and against weaker opposition.

True but some of those played with stick thin bats, bigger grounds (no boundaries roped in), uncovered pitches, no DRS, no helmets etc. etc.

Yes he still has to get the runs but look at Border for example, spent a lot of his career having to get runs against Garner, Marshall, Holding, Roberts without helmets whilst having to carry one of the worst Aussie eras ever.

True but some of those played with stick thin bats, bigger grounds (no boundaries roped in), uncovered pitches, no DRS, no helmets etc. etc.

Yes he still has to get the runs but look at Border for example, spent a lot of his career having to get runs against Garner, Marshall, Holding, Roberts without helmets whilst having to carry one of the worst Aussie eras ever.
But it's a hard argument when you head down that territory... the game is so ridiculously favored to the bat these days..

Interesting still... you wonder how the older bloles would like the boundary roped in, and super bats like they have now

They probably watch and think about how many freebie runs they would have gotten

But it's a hard argument when you head down that territory... the game is so ridiculously favored to the bat these days..

Interesting still... you wonder how the older bloles would like the boundary roped in, and super bats like they have now

They probably watch and think about how many freebie runs they would have gotten
It's why it's hard to put a lot of stock in modern batting averages. So much in their favour. Also used to be new ball at 200 runs as opposed to 80 overs. Used to have 8 ball overs as well which I imagine wouldn't have been much fun at Headingly for example.

NFSB, you're right. some are helped by the era they were in, and the team that was around them.
Many have Gilchrist as the best keeper ever....

Generations are hard to separate.
For me it comes down to match winners.

It's why I have warne as the best spinner ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's why it's hard to put a lot of stock in modern batting averages. So much in their favour. Also used to be new ball at 200 runs as opposed to 80 overs. Used to have 8 ball overs as well which I imagine wouldn't have been much fun at Headingly for example.
I've told that Bill Brown story before.
They should bring it back.

NFSB, you're right. some are helped by the era they were in, and the team that was around them.
Many have Gilchrist as the best keeper ever....

Generations are hard to separate.
For me it comes down to match winners.

It's why I have warne as the best spinner ever.
Warne as the best spinner is an absolute no brainer for me. I'm biased as he is/was my all time favorite cricketer... but his control and ability to bowl leggies (which as a former poor leg spinner are bloody hard) was simply amazing.

Plus he had the best instincts and bowling mind I've seen. He would toy with the batsmen and out think them as well as beat them with brilliance.

speaking of warne has anyone else read this?
9781845964511.jpg

Could one of you gentlemen enlighten me then?
I can only retell a mates story.
And it won't be exact.

My mate is a cricket nut. Went to the West Indies on his own. Ended up being the local radio station contact for an aussie aspect every day.
Then went to the Indies hall of fame dinner because of it.

Done the ashes on his own.

ra ra ra.

He did a dinner and sat next to Brown.
So as an opposing captain you could take a new ball after 80 overs, or 200 runs. Whichever came first.

The Don walked out and Brown was on about 88.
But the 200 was up in 15 runs so the Don said "You get your 100, then I'll go"

Bradman blocks it around. Brown gets his ton. Bradman passes him before he hits 120.

Could one of you gentlemen enlighten me then?

I can only retell a mates story.
And it won't be exact.

My mate is a cricket nut. Went to the West Indies on his own. Ended up being the local radio station contact for an aussie aspect every day.
Then went to the Indies hall of fame dinner because of it.

Done the ashes on his own.

ra ra ra.

He did a dinner and sat next to Brown.
So as an opposing captain you could take a new ball after 80 overs, or 200 runs. Whichever came first.

The Don walked out and Brown was on about 88.
But the 200 was up in 15 runs so the Don said "You get your 100, then I'll go"

Bradman blocks it around. Brown gets his ton. Bradman passes him before he hits 120.
I couldn't find the book I had the story in but found it online

http://netk.net.au/Whitton/Whitton107.asp

1934. Bradman's greatest innings?

Bradman: 'What does a man do when he's out of luck, Patsy?' Hendren: 'Have a bang.'

- Lord's, Saturday 26 May 1934.

Australia was due to tour England in 1934, and was reluctant to send a team after the bodyline fracas, but this time the financial boot was on the other foot: England had most to lose at the turnstiles from a cancellation of the tour.

And there was the fodder factor; England, as Rosenwater notes, won the bodyline series, 'but, as anticipated by Rockley Wilson ... all but lost an empire'. The fodder might shortly be needed; In March 1933, not long after Warner was thanking his God for cleaning out Bradman and the Australians, Adolf Hitler made himself dictator of Germany.

There were thus money and fodder imperatives for getting the Australians back to England in 1934. A committee meeting at Lord's in November 1933 agreed that 'any form of bowling which is obviously a direct attack by the bowler upon the batsman would be an offence against the spirit of the game'. Australia eventually agreed to send a team 'on an assurance from England', Fingleton wrote, 'that bodyline would not be bowled'.

Cardus said Bill Brown (b. 1912), master of the delicate leg glance, looked like a man batting in a top hat. Brown told John Lingard in 1994 he would never forget an innings Bradman played for NSW against Victoria just before the touring team was announced.

Brown, who opened with Fingleton, said: 'I was about 60 or 70 when Jack Fingleton retired with cramp and Don came in. In those days the new ball came on at 200 runs. Don came straight up to me and said: "Now, Bill, I want you to get your 100 before the new ball comes on."

He proceeded to get singles behind square and in front of square, just behind and in front of point, so I received all the strike. I managed to get to 103. I think he had scored only about 12 or 15 at the time. The new ball was taken and by the time I reached 128 he had passed my score. He hit 90 runs in 60 minutes. He would have been a champion in one-day cricket.'

Last edited:
ha ha. awesome NFSB.
I'd like the post, but I can't...

Anyone preserved lemons before?

I have a 15 litre glass demijohn over 2/3 full.
I reckon we've worked through 200 lemons today.

Lots of cardamon pods, cassia bark, black peppercorns, fresh roesmary sprigs. 1 kg of salt and Tahitian lime leaves.

Don't even ask me what I'll do with it all.
But geez, I have made a lot of juice today.

If you think about making a 1/2 bucket of citrus juice you might get an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back