Choco quits the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorta makes the "Williams is the real GWS coach" comments look even more stupid.

Not really. If he's been doing the bulk of the matchday tactical direction/instruction with Sheedy primarily there for a bit of fire, brimstone and promotion with Williams believing he'd get the official reins and full credit for 2013, why wouldn't he leave if a superior paycheque/role became available?

Not really. If he's been doing the bulk of the matchday tactical direction/instruction with Sheedy primarily there for a bit of fire, brimstone and promotion with Williams believing he'd get the official reins and full credit for 2013, why wouldn't he leave if a superior paycheque/role became available?

The giants would have had an inkling he would leave if they didnt give him the head coach position yet still gave it to Sheedy, it appears Sheedy does more then was thought.

Key word is IF. Do you really think the Giants would let their coach go just to keep a bloke who is only their for promotion?

@Boncer. Hard to tell what their motives are. If they're still on the missionary/promotion train and are prepared to cop a similar W/L% next year in exchange for player development (see: line coaches) they'll probably get in another heir/senior assistant. Ratten or Eade perhaps?

Edit: The family thing seems to be a factor too. Williams' wife had been rumored to want to go home to Melbourne when he was still at Port, but it'd be hard to knock back the senior role if he'd expected it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

word is although things were great for him at GWS, the family just wasn't settling in Sydney. I think that has more to do with it than the fact Sheedy got another contract.
heard this too

Family not settling in? Interesting given that his daughter is dating Dylan Shiel who re-signed earlier in the year until 2015. Heading back to Melbourne is going to put a strain on that relationship.

Choco's take on the coaching dynamics from an interview last weekend with BFN. Either that's the company line or Sheedy does more than we thought, mainly when it comes to game day.

http://www.bigfootynews.com/2012/08/mark-williams-on-gws-port-kevin-sheedy-and-his-future/
DT: I just wanted to ask about the coaching dynamics at the club. There’s been a lot of talk that Kevin Sheedy doesn’t actually do much, so I wanted to ask how much of a presence Sheedy actually has down there.

MW: He has a massive presence. In the scheme of things I’m certainly given the opportunity to do most of the coaching, but Sheeds oversees it and he’s on the track to make sure we do what he wants. The individual development and the drills and that, myself and the line coaches certianly spend more time on that than Sheeds, he lets us do what we do best and he certainly does what he does best.

Come match day he runs the show. It works really well for everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back