Chris Connolly = Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

CC v MH, etc stuff happen or not.

A very stupidthing to post. There is absolutely no sense that they are doing anything but working together beautifully and this is where you display your entire reason for trolling.

As for MO. Seriously, not a troll. But I DO have a liking for MH.

Get a room.

spitlizard, as you're a freo fan who sees the same thing regarding connolly and harvery, perhaps you should take up the further in depth discussion with your fellow freo fans without being considered a troll for doing so.

and bushie, i found the phrase I was looking for regarding types of coaches....it's 'cutting thru the bs' or 'cutting out the bs'....that includes tactics as well as general demeanor and quotes.

gg, your posts are the most contradictory thing I have ever read. As for CC, there is no contradiction between him saying now is the time (which he has) and that there is a three year plan (or whatever number of years). Do you think WC don't have a three year plan? Every team would have a three year plan, and I would be disturbed if CC did not.

This is typical of your trolling style;

He expects better outcome than finishing shy of the preliminary, yet he's more concerned about ensuring they win as many of the 12 WA games because then you only have to win a few more here and there to fall into the eight, and he'd be happy just to get that at least. That's exactly what he said, but in my words.

Your words? Who cares what you have to say. I am assuming you are using the same interview on the ABC that you refered to before? This is not remotely like something that he said, and I challenge you to actually quote him, as your whole point is based on that he contradicts himself. What you are doing is paraphrasing, and you are doing it with the eyes of a troll. Quote him if you are going to use the argument that he contradicts himself.

He has clearly and consistantly said that the aim is to finish top 2, not to "fall into the eight". To achieve this we need to continue to improve, and one area of improvement is in our home games. Zero contradiction in that philosophy.

I don't understand how you can refute that. Every single successful or great coach had the same quality. If "shooting straight" is too abstract, I'll put it another way. Hard-mindsets who keep it simple. Task-masters. Teachers, yes, but they're hard-nosed. They don't mess about with their words.

Oh please. I notice you don't respond to the example I gave of Malcolm Blight, apart from saying "he has shown he has the right stuff". Of course he did, that's why I used him, but his way of working with the players was nothing like what you think coaches should be like and how they should talk to players. He had the players playing cowboys and Indians. Go and read some of the stuff about how he coached; you could learn something.

And is this the same sort of thing as you said before;

I don't see how you could say Malthouse isn't the hard type.

"That's exactly what he said, but in my words". Where did I say Malthouse was not hard? Why not quote what I actually do say instead of fabricating something to form an argument? What I said was directly to your comment that coaches are straight talkers, and I used Malthouse as an example of a succesful coach who often talks in riddles. Which he is renowned for doing.

theGav56, type not style. People, coaches, players, they're all individuals, with their own styles, ways of expressing, ways of doing things. Style. But there are certain coaching types. Some coaches are good at development only, some are good at developing and fulfiling. That all comes back to their own skill-sets as coaches, not their types.

Certain skill-sets can be acquired by coaches who are lacking them, they can learn them over time, but if you're not a type of coach, you will squander your team, you will not be as successful a leader.

All great leaders are the same types of people. Even Ghandi is the same as Barassi. You're looking at the other way. It's not if you shout at people etc. It's about those levels of BS and cutting thru them, being able to get into the minds of your followers/players, and a certain strength of character and hardness is needed.

Blight and his 'cowboys/indians' ploys. That falls under the same thing. That's just a style, but his type is the same, as he has always been a character to cut thru. I think of all the greatest coaches in NFL as well. Lombardi, Landry, Shula, Parcells, Belichick, Gibbs, Ditka, Walsh, etc. They're all the same types tho they all had their own styles and skill-sets and ways of communicating. But they're no-nonsene types.

As for quotes by Connolly, I listened to the full radio interview that I think Ripper linked on that other Connolly thread. I don't need to quote, if you heard it you'd know it wasn't made up. He said those things. Sure, some of it is up for interpretation....hence, why I interpret it all the way I do, why someone like Nobby did too, why spitlizard and however many other Freo fans as well. Meanwhile, you and others, perhaps don't interpret it as such.

I'm not here to laugh at you, just to have a debate about Connolly and Fremantle, and whether he might be holding the team back as HC, that Freo given a 'better' leader, might take that leap from merely contesting finals to winning back-to-back grand finals. That's what I'd be expecting from my club as President. You have the list, etc. You should be having a run like Port 2001-2004, but not culminating in chokes and only 1 flag, like us. We were hampered by M.Williams' fear of failure/conservative approach in the end.

In football terms Mark Harvey is knocking on the Door but i rate CC i think he should get a fair go at this season then discuss this again post seoson during the celebrations (i hope :D )

From FoxSports:

Dockers take aim at Eagles
By Courtney Walsh
February 24, 2007

FREMANTLE Dockers coach Chris Connolly's excitement for the NAB Cup clearly exceeded that shown by many of his rivals this week.

While the enthusiasm shown by several clubs for the warm-up competition was, to say the least, muted - and displayed in the strength of some squads named for the Cup's opening round - Connolly is relishing the Dockers' opportunity to test themselves against West Coast Eagles at Subiaco Oval tomorrow night.

The anticipation stems not simply from the Dockers' desire to best their local rival for the fourth straight time.

Rather, Connolly sees the match as the first battle between two sides likely to be at the forefront of premiership betting markets for the rest of the decade.

"Playing the premiership team is a good measure of where you're at, so it's an exciting opportunity for us," Connolly said.

"They're a class club and we have a lot of respect for West Coast. We expect West Coast to be around the mark for four or five years, just like us, so we're going to have some tremendous battles.

"It starts on Sunday and it'll continue on through the year and for years to come."

Connolly's confidence comes in part from last year's breakthrough season, in which Fremantle won its first final before finishing fourth.

Betting outlets predict both the Dockers and West Coast will improve, with TAB Sportsbet rating the Eagles favourite to defend their title at $4.40 and Fremantle the closest challenger at $7.

"Punters just keep backing them. It's simply the weight of money for the Dockers," spokesman Gary Davies said.

An analysis of last year's finalists by The Australian in September backed this premise.

It showed the two West Australian clubs had the most room for improvement in terms of training age, a theory that measures the maturity of sides based on the number of years athletes have trained at an elite level.

West Coast, with an age of 5.7, and Fremantle (6.7) were yet to reach their peak, while fellow preliminary finalists Sydney (7.3) and Adelaide (7.4) could be expected to decline in the next few seasons.

It is little wonder Connolly is looking forward to tomorrow night's match, if only to get a measure of the off-season improvement of young stars including ruckman Aaron Sandilands and full-forward Ryan Murphy, who emerged as a handy alternate to Matthew Pavlich in the second half of last season.

"What we're excited about is: has Aaron Sandilands taken the next step? Can Ryan Murphy take the next step? Where's Andrew Browne at? Can Paul Duffield come into the mix and do a different role? And you can just about go through every single player," Connolly said.

"Luke McPharlin will play probably on an improving Quinten Lynch, Ryan Murphy will probably get Darren Glass.

"I mean that's where you're going to get a clear picture of where these guys are at, so playing the premiership team is a great opportunity for us."

Emerging midfield player Brett Peake is destined to play a leading role should Fremantle continue improving. Peake yesterday signed with the club until the end of the 2009 season.

"From a coaching point of view he has similar running ability to (former Hawthorn player) Shane Crawford. He is the closest thing to Shane I have seen in my time in football," Connolly said.

Peake, who completed a plumbing apprenticeship before his brilliant speed and endurance saw him break through for the Dockers last year, is excited about Fremantle's future.

"I'm really happy to be playing my football at Fremantle and being part of what is going to be an exciting phase in the club's history," Peake said.

While Connolly expects some tremendous battles between Fremantle and West Coast over the next few seasons, tomorrow night's match may not be one, given West Coast has traditionally treated the pre-season competition as relatively unimportant.

The Eagles lost to the Dockers by 62 points in the corresponding match last year and are outsiders at $3.30. Fremantle is at $1.28.

While they have named 18 premiership players in the 28 man squad, champion Chris Judd and Norm Smith medallist Andrew Embley are certain non-starters.

Michael Braun, a star in last year's grand final against Sydney, identified exactly where the Eagles' focus is.

"It doesn't matter if you've lost to Fremantle four, six times. If you are going to play football just to beat the Dockers, that's not why we're here," Braun said on Wednesday. "We're here to win finals in September and to win premierships."

All great leaders are the same types of people. Even Ghandi is the same as Barassi.

You are embarassing yourself with an argument like that.

Blight and his 'cowboys/indians' ploys. That falls under the same thing. That's just a style, but his type is the same, as he has always been a character to cut thru.

No that is not what you were saying, and you have just changed your argument.

My comment about Blight included that he had failed to get Geelong a premiership. It would easy to have labelled him a coach who could not get a team to go all the way, and a poor communicater etc etc. And he was labelled that, just as you are doing with CC. The reality is that CC last year got the team to exactly where he said they would be when he joined the club.

There's inconsistency because CC is consistently confusing.

If you are claiming this then produce quotes to evidence this fact. Paraphrasing an interview, which I also heard, does not do this.

gg, do you have anything new to say that the long thread you fed on the main board, or your poor trolling on ours has not given you the opportunity to say? You haven't added any thoughts to your argument for quite a few posts now, and it feels just a little like a you have a simple agenda. Thanks for coming, now as I suggested, go and destabilise Williams so you can then recruit Harvey.

theGav56, I'll leave you to big note yourself some more. If you cannot understand the argument about "leaders" (Barassi, Ghandi analogy) then I can't help you understand it. I'm not interested in a bitch fight with someone looking to score points.

Imperial - What CC said in your recent post is more like it. That's the spirit. Hopefully he remains simpler like this and ballsy like this from interview to interview, and around the players consistently so.

As the CC - MH topic is an interesting one to me, I'll be keeping my eye on it.

in football often the best coaches are those with balls for brains, tougher in character, and kinda less polished.

All great leaders are the same types of people. Even Ghandi is the same as Barassi.

The wisdom of g.g.

Isn't it incredibly easy to take someone's words and make them look silly. Easier to do with some than others.

Dam shame this thread was hijacked by a port supporter.

Most people I talk to say the same regarding MH’s & Freo’s rise in the 2nd half of the season but IMHO the game plan is the same & is still consistent with with CC’s game plan from the last 2 years.…. It just looks dam ugly when not executed properly.
IMO… MH has got the boy’s taking the first option, not the second or third option as what has happened in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people I talk to say the same regarding MH’s & Freo’s rise in the 2nd half of the season but IMHO the game plan is the same & is still consistent with with CC’s game plan from the last 2 years.…. It just looks dam ugly when not executed properly.

The game plan looked alright in the NAB didn't it Billy. They are getting the ball forward much quicker, and running to support the ball carriers. We also seem to have a backline full of playmakers. If they do continue to execute it well we are in for a hell of a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back