Christopher Pyne!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I am quite comfortable with teaching kids spirituality. I would have thought learning meditation techniques, relaxation, yoga, stress management, managing emotions, communication, etc were all important skills. Do you disagree?
Yep. Sometimes I wonder whether you live in the real world or some utopia.
Can really see the poorer kids in some suburbs getting a real lift out of all those things you mention.

Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer my kids to be literate, numerate and socially aware, before they are flexible enough for all of the Kama Sutra positions.

I am quite comfortable with teaching kids spirituality. I would have thought learning meditation techniques, relaxation, yoga, stress management, managing emotions, communication, etc were all important skills. Do you disagree?

I think the years 1-6 problem is the crowded curriculum. I think they need to firstly teach the basics (reedin, ritin & sums:p) & communication skills. Then most certainly get the kids involved in play & physical activity. Obesity & inactivity is killing this society a lot more surely than any terrorist will.
A smattering of the others is fine, but like religion, it should really be the area of the parents & family, not the schools.
IMO:D
years 7-12 are a bit different. Life long habits are learned early.

I think the years 1-6 problem is the crowded curriculum. I think they need to firstly teach the basics (reedin, ritin & sums:p) & communication skills. Then most certainly get the kids involved in play & physical activity. Obesity & inactivity is killing this society a lot more surely than any terrorist will.
A smattering of the others is fine, but like religion, it should really be the area of the parents & family, not the schools.
IMO:D
years 7-12 are a bit different. Life long habits are learned early.
Agree, I am concerned that they are watering down Gonski. Get the physical settings of schools right first, buildings, facilities, tools etc. Some schools are concrete jungles and it would be good if funding was available to hire buses to local sports grounds. Even some funding for a school camp where they can learn to respect nature and living with others and working together.
I just get very nervous when this government mentions things like spiritual (school chaplains), I don't trust this government.
Years prep - 6 are really critical, formation years.

Agree, I am concerned that they are watering down Gonski. Get the physical settings of schools right first, buildings, facilities, tools etc. Some schools are concrete jungles and it would be good if funding was available to hire buses to local sports grounds. Even some funding for a school camp where they can learn to respect nature and living with others and working together.
I just get very nervous when this government mentions things like spiritual (school chaplains), I don't trust this government.
Years prep - 6 are really critical, formation years.

Dead right.

The use of the term spirituality by this mob is only a smokescreen for enforced Christianity.

This is a parental issue and responsibility, and always will be.

Yep. Sometimes I wonder whether you live in the real world or some utopia.
Can really see the poorer kids in some suburbs getting a real lift out of all those things you mention.

I live in a very unique world where people can do things and they do them. Everyone could live in that world but the reality is most don't.

It took me 30 plus years to find it, so it isn't easy to find. But it is much about attitude as it is about location.

I live in a very unique world where people can do things and they do them. Everyone could live in that world but the reality is most don't.

It took me 30 plus years to find it, so it isn't easy to find. But it is much about attitude as it is about location.

You should start a cult.

I know, you keep saying that, and I keep telling you that you shouldn't use yourself as a yardstick.

They are all important skills in creating resilience in students (all schools should include this). Religion though

I'm anti religion, so I guess that answers that.

That said I went to a catholic school, as an atheist, and the RE was not Christian but "spiritual" as per above and life skills.

It was a very valuable part of the curriculum.

Whilst Power Raid and myself don't always agree, I must admit that I'm in agreeance with him on this. Due to the overprotective nature of modern parenting, the risk is that we're developing a generation of acopic adults. That;'s why I believe that it is not just the parents' role to build in resilience, but society as a whole, with the most appropriate place being school. It's not as if what's being suggested is some way-out, new-age hippie shite, but an emerging body of research which is showing positive outcomes for children taught mindfulness, yoga, relaxion etc.

For those interested here's a link which looks at the evidence

http://mindfulnessinschools.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/MiSP-Research-Summary-2012.pdf

I'm anti religion, so I guess that answers that.

That said I went to a catholic school, as an atheist, and the RE was not Christian but "spiritual" as per above and life skills.

It was a very valuable part of the curriculum.

I WAS a catholic at a catholic primary scool. IIRC, I'm about the same age as you, and I remember it as fire and brimstone, 10 commandments, original sin etc. etc.

Took me ages to conquer catholic guilt (the addiction is strong and I would class myself as "in recovery")

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see more philosophy taught in schools, the best way to learn to think is learning about thinking.

I think you'll find, Gough, that inquiry-based learning does develop students' critical thinking abilities. There's a host of research to support this approach, and it's an imntegral part of modern teaching. Unfortunately troglodytes like Chrissy Pyne and Kevin Donnelly poo-poo mthis in favour of the old school rote approach.

I think you'll find, Gough, that inquiry-based learning does develop students' critical thinking abilities. There's a host of research to support this approach, and it's an imntegral part of modern teaching. Unfortunately troglodytes like Chrissy Pyne and Kevin Donnelly poo-poo mthis in favour of the old school rote approach.
yep

being force fed suits some but inquiry based learning is more like "real life"

Agree with much of whats said. I guess I'm a bit old school. I cant comment on how things are taught, but I think the first few years should be about the basics, as has been said before. Also its vital the kids get a lot of physical activity, (teach them to kick on their left etc:p) It promotes health & confidence in kids. Also basic biology & sex education.
Later on the curriculum can add some meta physical inquiry :)confused:) , & other stuff & that!
Comparative politics, Comparative religion too. Just not the dogma rubbish of the main religions.

Rather you apologised for your accusation than using 'work' as excuse but like Riseupaustralia writes: "And yet you had time to hurl your bile in other threads in the meantime".
Yes your right i did go in too hard , i apologise to you but it would be nice if you were a bit more positive about Australia , it can't be that bad if you chose to seek asylum here.

Yes your right i did go in too hard , i apologise to you but it would be nice if you were a bit more positive about Australia , it can't be that bad if you chose to seek asylum here.
Appreciate that. However came here as 4 yo so didn't have much say but this is a great country shame about the politics tying to take it back 60 years. So out of touch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back