Classic Cars

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys reminded me of a photo from my youth of an E38 Charger ad with the extractors run red hot. And yes it was on the internet.

images

Sorry to digress Lockhart Road

You guys reminded me of a photo from my youth of an E38 Charger ad with the extractors run red hot. And yes it was on the internet.

images

could buy yourself a house at Christies Beach (loved that place in the 70S) if you still had it Ford. All that time and all that money only to smash it up, scrap it up or give it away. Geez i wish i had my classics back. Chevs, cuzzies, broughams, monaros, xw, xy, xa, xb, and the smickest xu1. What have i done? My youth was wasted and if only i had seen.

images

Now stop it you lot............this is getting tooooo much and the reminiscing is also going way off track:p

Pit crewed for a mate who raced one of those things............no power assisted brakes they could fly but a teeny bit hard to stop - in a staight line anyway.

Going to bed and brings back some memories:p:p

Yeah I know Ford, just a tad off track but Lockhart started it........:)

could buy yourself a house at Christies Beach (loved that place in the 70S) if you still had it Ford. All that time and all that money only to smash it up, scrap it up or give it away. Geez i wish i had my classics back. Chevs, cuzzies, broughams, monaros, xw, xy, xa, xb, and the smickest xu1. What have i done? My youth was wasted and if only i had seen.

Phase 3 GTHO and I could have bought the whole suburb! Tried to talk my dad into it but he bought a Hemi Pacer. :(

gtho3red.jpg

Phase 3 GTHO and I could have bought the whole suburb! Tried to talk my dad into it but he bought a Hemi Pacer. :(

gtho3red.jpg
You are equivalent value to this board Ford. My kids hang around and listen to your chosen classic song every pre match thread. I say to them here are here are have a listen to this. Mum and Dad were smart. They bought me a prison bar jumper with number one on it so when we were in vic i barracked for the pies, and when in Adelaide dad took me to watch port. Still remember the old port faithfull patting me on the head saying #youll be right son#. I remember at the time Terry waters was no1 for the pies, cant remember who was no1 for Port at the time though. Some one may be able to fill in the blanks. it has been a day of reflectance.Moving on lets get these blokes a car.

gtho3red.jpg

Making things difficult Ford............Won a rally navigating in one of those beasts - mate also raced it at Mallala. Broke its back racing at the Collingrove Hillclimb - managed to do an "accident report" claiming his wife drove it through a spoon drain in the Adelaide Hills too fast...........well that part was right:)

Cash flow was more an issue back then.

Had headers and triple Stromies on my wish list. :oops:

I wanted to put triple Webers and extractors on my S-Series Valiant's slant six and create this effect...

six-pack.jpg

Lockhart Road I'm having flashbacks.

I wanted to put triple Webers and extractors on my S-Series Valiant's slant six and create this effect...

six-pack.jpg

Lockhart Road I'm having flashbacks.

I don't think the old slant 6 would have got them glowing like the 265 Hemi did...they liked to throw a leg out of bed at sustained high revs

I don't think the old slant 6 would have got them glowing like the 265 Hemi did...they liked to throw a leg out of bed at sustained high revs

Probably just as well that as a poor teenager I couldn't afford it. I did put a huge 2 barrel carby on it and the slant six drank petrol like a man lost in the desert drinks water when he finds an oasis.

Probably just as well that as a poor teenager I couldn't afford it. I did put a huge 2 barrel carby on it and the slant six drank petrol like a man lost in the desert drinks water when he finds an oasis.

A 2 barrel Carter? Yes I had a push button TorqueFlyte AP5 Regal, petrol was an expensive part of the driving process of these cars. An S series was a work of art though, a beautiful looking car

1962-valiant-s-series-sedan.jpg

A 2 barrel Carter? Yes I had a push button TorqueFlyte AP5 Regal, petrol was an expensive part of the driving process of these cars. An S series was a work of art though, a beautiful looking car

View attachment 47964

The S-Series was magnificent piece of Detroit steel. And yes a two barrel Carter from a Salisbury wrecking yard. Might have been off a VC Valiant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The S-Series was magnificent piece of Detroit steel. And yes a two barrel Carter from a Salisbury wrecking yard. Might have been off a VC Valiant.

I had a VC Valiant ute with a Pacer slant with a 2 barrel on it. Pretty quick for an old ute. In VF form the Pacer slant had a 4 barrel Carter, wasn't as good..tuning was a problem

I had a VC Valiant ute with a Pacer slant with a 2 barrel on it. Pretty quick for an old ute. In VF form the Pacer slant had a 4 barrel Carter, wasn't as good..tuning was a problem

The old boy (that would be me these days) had a 245ci 4-door VG Hemi Pacer with the 2 barrel. 3 speed stick shift. Really good car but had an automatic choke and I can't count the number of times Dad had to start it on a cold morning with the throttle manually opened with a folding ruler.

Remember a workman at my primary school telling me the 4 barrel was a pig.

The old boy (that would be me these days) had a 245ci 4-door VG Hemi Pacer with the 2 barrel. 3 speed stick shift. Really good car but had an automatic choke and I can't count the number of times Dad had to start it on a cold morning with the throttle manually opened with a folding ruler.

Remember a workman at my primary school telling me the 4 barrel was a pig.

Ah yes, forgot about those chokes, they had more of a problem staying half on, as heat from the manifold was supposed to turn the choke off. I disconnected the ones I owned, and tied the chokes open. I had a VH Ranger with the 245, nice engine, I never owned a 265, a very powerful motor in it's time

Ah yes, forgot about those chokes, they had more of a problem staying half on, as heat from the manifold was supposed to turn the choke off. I disconnected the ones I owned, and tied the chokes open. I had a VH Ranger with the 245, nice engine, I never owned a 265, a very powerful motor in it's time

The 265 with the triple webers coupled to a 4 speed manual on the E49 Charger was as quick in a straight line as a Phase III GTHO Falcon. Just didn't have the endurance.

Ahh the old cars, could talk forever about them. These days cars don't have character, I wouldn't know a Ford from a Holden without looking at the badges

Falcodores.

The 265 with the triple webers coupled to a 4 speed manual on the E49 Charger was as quick in a straight line as a Phase III GTHO Falcon. Just didn't have the endurance.

I think from memory, they didn't have a 4 speed ready before Bathurst, plus chose the wrong tyres. They are still regarded as the fastest official Australian made car, I think...could be wrong though with these modern multi computer injected ignition contraptions

I think from memory, they didn't have a 4 speed ready before Bathurst, plus chose the wrong tyres. They are still regarded as the fastest official Australian made car, I think...could be wrong though with these modern multi computer injected ignition contraptions

I thought they did get the E49 with the Borg-Warner 4 speed into the 1972 Bathurst but brakes let it down. So long ago, can't be sure.

Only over qtr mile time and that has well and truly been eclipsed by the 'modern' musce cars. But an absolute bitumen burner none the less.

Found this road test of the R/T E49

E49 Charger
Road Test - Valiant Charger R/T E-49 (Sports Car World October 1972)
The stopwatches don't lie - but it's pretty hard to believe. A 0-100 mph time of 14.1 seconds! That's really flying - and the engine's no thumping V8 nor four cam V12.

It's Chrysler Australia's 4.3-litre in-line six, in a stormer called the Charger RT E49. Chrysler managed to scrape through the supercar furore that killed the phase four HO and Torana V8.

It had the first batch of its Bathurst contenders built before the storm broke, and in the hullabaloo over the GMH and Ford cars somehow the Charger was overlooked. So few people, us included, were prepared for the phenomenal performance of the E49.

It seems incredible that mild (mainly cam grind) changes to last year's E38 engine and the addition of the new four-speed gearbox can have done so much for straight line performance without sacrificing tractability.

The three-speed E38 was a brilliant enough performer, running the standing quarter in 15 seconds with a best of 14.8 and to 100 mph in 16.5 seconds. A Porsche 911S, generally acknowledged as the worlds best six-cylinder performer couldn't even match this time to 100 mph, putting down 17.1 seconds and getting over the quarter in 14.7. So the E49, which is utterly untroubled to lay 14.4 second quarters and record those 14.1 times to 100 mph is in a realm on its own.
E49 Charger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back