Opinion Speculation over - Eade Coach

Who will be our next Coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
he was actually quicker to sign on to coach for 2 more seasons.

He only signed on for an extension this year.
He is also on record that season 2015 would have been his last year as coach if Sydney didn't block Dew's appointment at Melbourne as the 2IC.

I think you have to put into context the circumstances when a person says NO.

I mean this stuff is all over the media so it's not like going for a regular job.
Your current employer doesn't want you in the headlines stating you want to find another job, especially for a competitor. So it's pretty hard to say "yeah I'd love to come and work for you" and put your current employment at risk. I think sometimes these guys need to tell a few white lies to save face with their current bosses, when they are actually considering their options.

Additionally, just because someone says no to a coaching job doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to coach the GC Suns, it may have more to do with their ties outside football (eg. Kids, schooling, other business interests, family / sick family, etc.). Yet after some thought and planning with all of the key players in their personal and business lives, it may become a possibility that it would work.

The reality may be that they would really love to coach the Suns, but some of the other planets need to line up for them for it to become an option. Anyway, just another perspective on that issue and I'm just saying don't be too hasty to lambaste a guy because when put on the spot he says NO to coaching us.

338928-f5350c0e-49b8-11e4-997c-82cb5bb9705e.jpg

78rp0p-210x158-bg.jpg

Okay you got me .... which image is the real one???

He is also on record that season 2015 would have been his last year as coach if Sydney didn't block Dew's appointment at Melbourne as the 2IC.
funny if carlton and GC get two Cwood coaches that kick their asses all season 2015.

I still don't see how Eade would be a bad coach. You're speaking as if he's been out of the system for years and is a dinosaur; he's still playing an active role at your own club as a Coaching Strategist.

People rightfully give Ken Hinkley credit for bringing Power from nothing to something. The two parallel each other a lot in coaching bottom-rung teams to competitiveness.

Wiki Quote: "On 8 October 2012, Hinkley was announced as the senior coach of the Port Adelaide Football Club making him the first coach that has not been associated with the club before since Fos Williams. In his debut season, he led Port to 13 wins, which included an elimination final win at he MCG against Collingwood before being eliminated by Geelong in a close game a week later. This came to a surprise to many as Port Adelaide had only won 8 games in the previous two seasons. For his impressive season, Hinkley was voted as the Coach of the Year by the AFL Coaches Association."

Rodney Eade: "He spent 2003 and 2004 as a media writer and commentator, before being appointed coach of the Western Bulldogs for the 2005 season. In his first season as coach, he took an under-achieving Bulldogs side within a goal of a finals series berth, when they had finished with less than 5 wins in the previous two years, but just missed out of the finals finishing in ninth spot on the ladder. In 2006, he took the 'Dogs to a final series for the first time since Terry Wallace in 2000 where they eliminated Collingwood in the elimination finals but lost to eventual premiers West Coast in the semi finals."

funny if carlton and GC get two Cwood coaches that kick their asses all season 2015.

If you appoint Eade, it will be the second coaching appointment to directly come out of the Collingwood football dept. after McKenna was our 2IC in 2009.

If you appoint Eade, it will be the second coaching appointment to directly come out of the Collingwood football dept. after McKenna was our 2IC in 2009.
oh god. its a conspiracy....

That's why I said Bolton guys. The Hawks know how to win...

I still don't see how Eade would be a bad coach. You're speaking as if he's been out of the system for years and is a dinosaur; he's still playing an active role at your own club as a Coaching Strategist.

He's our football manager now.
Hasn't been the 'strategist' since the the middle part of 2013, that was effectively the football coaching director role that was created for Malthouse.
He does admin now, TPP planning, contracts and the like.
Is more of a suit than a track suit person at the club if you understand that analogy in an AFL sense.

Right now every team except the Suns & Bulldogs are planning their season
around the new fixture which will be released to the public next week.

Last edited:
So how's that all working out for you guys then? Going forward with the right person for the right coach in Buckley do you think? .... or are your better prospects jumping from a sinking ship?

oh god. its a conspiracy....

That's why I said Bolton guys. The Hawks know how to win...
So the only reason you said Bolton is because he's not from Floggingwood???? :eek:

Totally agree with the second part though mate.
So do the Swans which is why I think our 2 most recent player acquisitions are gold .... winning mentality.

Actually (and more importantly) 'unacceptable to lose' mentality.

Hasn't been the 'strategist' since the the middle part of 2013, that was effectively the football coaching director role that was created for Malthouse.
Is more of a suit than a track suit person at the club if you understand that analogy in an AFL sense.
You can tell he hasnt been the 'strategist' since mid 2013 too
The Pies have been spiraling downward since about then with no real game plan in place!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, thanks for the correction. In any case, I still don't think he would be a bad coach for the Suns. He has an outstanding record. That point stands.

What do you think of his record paralleling that of Ken Hinkley's? You didn't touch on that.

Ah, thanks for the correction. In any case, I still don't think he would be a bad coach for the Suns. He has an outstanding record. That point stands.

What do you think of his record paralleling that of Ken Hinkley's? You didn't touch on that.

Don't think Eade is a good analogy with Hinkley.
Hinkley did his time at Geelong, then he became your 2IC.
He was desperate to coach all the time and kept himself relevant by doing an apprenticeship.
Hinkley has been desperate to coach ever since he had his own teams in the Geelong competition.
I've heard Eade speak at a number of coterie meetings this year.
Eade is very old school, he has a dry sense of humour and he said to these functions he is very much over the intense pressure of being an AFL coach now.
He also said at this time and with his family, this (Coll) job will be my last in the game as he wants to spend more time with them now.
That is understandable given he would have neglected them early days given the pressure of a head coaching gig and the hours involved.
Hinkley & Eade are in different cycles in life and coaching.

If his heart isnt in it he won't say yes. I doubt we'd be offering more money than what he's already on at Collingwood.

If Roo's thought Dew was the man to take the reins at Melbourne he obviously rates him very highly, he would also know him well from his time at the Swans.
I wish we weren't so caught up on this "experienced senior coach" mantra
Dew has already stated he won't be applying.

If Roo's thought Dew was the man to take the reins at Melbourne he obviously rates him very highly, he would also know him well from his time at the Swans.
I wish we weren't so caught up on this "experienced senior coach" mantra

Could the experienced senior coach be an AFL directive?
Isn't Travis Auld on the coaching committee & he has already been jettisoned by old mate Gill at AFLHQ.

If his heart isnt in it he won't say yes. I doubt we'd be offering more money than what he's already on at Collingwood.

He would be on the $300 to $350 k range at Collingwood.
I'd suspect you would have to pay an experienced coach at least $600 k to get them to even blink.

Truth be told..
There's no really good candidates..
All the experienced old dinosaurs are locked up in contracts.. Or Supposably out of date.
Bomber thompson is Supposably a loose cannon... Yet Essendon are keen to keep him locked up there on the big coin.
The younger candidates Bolton, Dew, Beveridge all have a few years experience as assistants at good teams etc.
But there's no coach that matches what we stated were looking for after McKenna got sacked!
I don't see anyone from above I trust with Our Suns playing list.. With the right coach next year will explode into top 4 calculations.
Without we'll linger around 8th.
Wouldn't be surprised if Lovell or soloman coach for 12months why we spend all of 2015 chasing the right Coach we dearly need!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back