Toast Cockatoo and Gregson sign contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

BANG BANG!

Credit Hocking and GFC for getting on the front foot.

Good news. Keep them signatures coming.

And good to see you Gysenn. Haven't see much of you of late.

Go Catters

Great news. Have a strong feeling about this draft. Looks like we've got 3 kids that are ready to at least play AFL football. Cunico will likely need more time to build on his frame but has some talent by all reports.

Tipping Gore will be next after murdering the VFL over the next couple of months. I can see moving rapidly up the pecking order.

Great news. Have a strong feeling about this draft. Looks like we've got 3 kids that are ready to at least play AFL football. Cunico will likely need more time to build on his frame but has some talent by all reports.

Tipping Gore will be next after murdering the VFL over the next couple of months. I can see moving rapidly up the pecking order.
Gore will be the Jansen of 15' ;)

Gore will be the Jansen of 15' ;)

Id just like Jansen to become Jansen at the moment. Lots of froth, and upside, but nothing to show for it yet. He has time, and Im glad he's taking it and been given it. Still wanna see him.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do clubs do this? Melbourne did it with Angus Brayshaw. Is it for a pay rise?

We did something similar Duncan & Menzel - not 100% sure if they signed initial 2-year deals with a 1-year extension very quickly, or the club signed them to initial 3-year deals, either way they were signed for more than just 2-years very quickly.

Mr Gregson after signing a contract extension:

mr-g-1024.jpg

This is the age we live in now, where you need to lock in top tier draftees before they've played a senior match to keep the 17 other team's mitts off of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased we're on the front foot for a change, but something about this trend of rewarding new players in order to keep them from leaving doesn't sit quite right with me.

That being said, everything we've seen and heard from Nakia (and Gregson by extension) is that they're quality young men.

Why do clubs do this? Melbourne did it with Angus Brayshaw. Is it for a pay rise?

Why bother to wait until a player, who is contracted for two years, has actually played a month or two of home and away football before deciding to extend him?

Because it looks good as a headline. An extension of the bragging that goes on immediately after the draft:
  • 'We can't believe this player was available at pick #68...we would have considered him with our first pick!'
  • 'This player is even better than we first thought! It's so exciting how good he is! Let's sign him up before he's even played a game!'

I'm not a fan of this trend of signing players before they've even properly made their AFL debut.

It's inevitable that a club is going to get stung by this one day.

Funny just yesterday I was just thinking about how much it would suck to lose Cokatoo early, like Caddy or Boyd.
It's a new trend, and I can see why some have concerns, but right now I'm just happy. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back