Collingwood article- Adelaide Advertiser 14/5/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Marzy26

Debutant
May 6, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought I'd post this - you know people are sitting up and taking notice when your club is being talked about well in another city.

Magpies of a different hue - by Geoff Roach

Let's be frank. There are certain practices, persons and entities in life that some people would, and should, never admit to embracing.
Think, for instance, of rap "music", extended daylight saving, Big Brother,David Hicks, political despots, media created faux celebrities - and the Collingwood Football Club.
But hey - and I can't believe I'm writing this, sometimes you have to give credit where it's due and recognise excellence when you see it.
And, right now, it surely has to be conceded that the Collingwood Football team deserves every ounce of the acclaim it is being widely accorded.
Notice that I said the Collingwood TEAM - as opposed to any of Collingwood club itself, the vast proportion of its supporters and a president who still professes not to understand the concept of conflict of interest but seems to believe that grossing untold millions of dollars off the field will somehow end its abysmal competitive record.
Certainly this 2007 Collingwood outfit is an entirely different beast to all of the above, Rather than crass, loud and one-dimensional, it is wholeheartedly vibrant, fresh, adventurous, and unpredictable.
Though built around the reliable if ageing foundation of players like Scotty Burns, Tarkyn Lockyer, Anthony Rocca, Shane O'Bree, Simon Prestigiacomo,and, hopefully Nathan Buckley, it is the cavalcade of free-wheeling kids who have turned the Pies into an excitement machine.
Certainly, no opponent or situation seems likely to ever intimidate the likes of the blindingly quick Shaw brothers, gifted and feisty Dale Thomas, athletic forward Travis Cloke, instinctively gifted Harry O'Brien and the cool, clever Scott Pendlebury and Brad Dick. Add in the likes of matchturning Alan Didak, vastly improved Ben Johnson, elusive Dane Swan, a more durable Josh Fraser and reliable Alan Toovey and there is basis to believe the Pies fast start to the season is not destined to run out of steam.
All of which has to be a reflection of coach Mick Malthouses seeming resolve to not only reinvent himself but a playbook which once resolved around dour defence but now gives full rein for adventure and invention.
Even so, trailing by four goals and with little going right, the Pies looked to be in serious trouble against the old foe Carlton on Saturday.
Then, the Blues destructive Brendan Fevola gave them a priceless incentive to regroup. Having pumped himself up by kicking a couple of goals, Fevola couldn't help but spark a melee at quarter time which contrived to serioiusly distract his team mates.
Right there and then it seemed obvious who would win the match and who would play a minor role for the rest of the day. Which, as it turned out, was Collingwood and Fevola in that order.

I read Roach all the time - that would have to be one of his best.

I read Roach all the time - that would have to be one of his best.

He doesn't hit very high standards then.

I live in Adelaide and I gave up reading the Advertiser so I didn't have to bother with the drivel pumped out by Roach, Rucci et al.

Collingwood doesn't need Roach's recognition, if anything his article is a begrudging acknowledgement of the talent our team possess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back