Opinion Collingwood Boards AFL Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just heard Taylor Walkers first game back will be against us in round 9. Great

I think he's a better player coming back from a reco. than J-pod or Josh Jenkins or anyone else they'd have.

Carlton really have a bad list Their best players are old eg Judd, Carrazzo, waite
Pretty much this. Their best players aren't only unlikely to improve but likely to decline now. No-one is coming through thanks to Hughes... so yeah, thanks Hughes!

Their only half decent player under 22 is Menzel who is very likely to breakdown

List is in serious trouble

Oh well :)

Carlton should trade out there ready made players to GWS just to try bring some young talent into the side. There list is in shocking state.

Carlton fans were talking about delisting him at the end of this year before his NAB rising star nomination

He isn't great
Seems decent from the few games I've seen him play this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much this. Their best players aren't only unlikely to improve but likely to decline now. No-one is coming through thanks to Hughes... so yeah, thanks Hughes!
New slogan, I love it!!!:p:p:p:p:p

at the end of 2011 season i posted some thoughts on the blues board. just beaten in a semi against the eagles at subi, i thought they needed to trade a mid or two to GC or GWS to gain 2 of the long list of 6'4" KP's these teams had. BUT NO. as has been for several years now 'they had the list to win' and are now suffering. henderson is good but he's not a number 1 KP.
sounds like the saints in so many ways.

since salary cap & drafting were introduced carlton is yet to adapt to the modern world of afl. still looking to buy/cheat their way to the top.

may they suffer another decade or 4 of nothing.

Wanted to make this mega thread for all the AFL related, but not Collingwood related, discussions.

For example, topics that could go under this thread as of late is the future of Carlton, the recent retirement of Mitch Clark etc.

But firstly want to discuss Mick Malthouse and Carlton.

Terry Wallace said that the problem under Carlton is not a 1 or 2 year fix, it's a 5, 6, 7 fix. Now I think Wallace is a bit of a nuffie, particularly to the draft, but I agree with this, well, that it's at least not a 1 or 2 year fix.

So, surely Carlton will have to look at finding a replacement for Mick ASAP. What Carlton need is a coach, that they're planning on backing for years on end. Much like Bucks, give this new coach his team, his structure and his gameplan and build that for the next, let's say 5 years.

Discuss.
LOL at Wallace ever mentioning the word Five again ever.....

New slogan, I love it!!!:p:p:p:p:p
Cartoon_zps1bdeccde.jpg

Carlton fans were talking about delisting him at the end of this year before his NAB rising star nomination

He isn't great
I was hoping he would be delisted, so then we could pick him up as a DFA, seriously, what would be better than turning a former Carlton F&S pick into a gun at Collingwood. The potential is there and his still slight body is developing well. He was short and a tooth pick when he arrived at Carlton, so immediate opportunities were never going to happen.

The great irony is that the ingrained mentality of Carlton as a club (arrogant - we're Carlton * the rest) in which they wrongly evaluated the state of the list after 2011 is what's causing them grief now. After the "dark years", they thought success would come to them instead of working hard for it (on-field and off-field) and if it didn't immediately come, they could simply buy it.

It's resulted in poor administration that still relies on benefactors, poor recruitment/list management that didn't take into account key needs (why did that highly rated Geelong recruiter go to Carlton and pack his bags in 6 months?) and poor development programs/culture that turns players into soft introverts because they buy into the idea that a saviour (was Judd, now Malthouse/Daisy) will carry them to the promised land. Murphy is a changed player. He was fearless in years past, now he's meek and squibbs it with the best of them.

The state of the list is shocking at the moment, but if they are willing to make a few hard moves and recruit/draft smartly, they can have a much better age/talent profile in a couple of off-seasons.

However, if they cannot fix the heart of the club and it's culture (and we've seen this with Melbourne for a long time), it will never improve.

Do you agree with the notion that you should be able to do whatever you want (in an AFL game) as long as you get away with it?

Here's the context, Paul Roos was asked about Macaffers tagging techniques, and basically said that they were illegal but the blame shouldn't be on Macaffer, because the umpire should be watching out for it.

I don't agree with that. I mean, I don't agree that what Macaffer did was bad, but I disagree that it's okay to do things, that are outside the rules, just as long as you can get away with it.

Because, you can argue, the rules are made to be broken, you can look for the loopholes in things, but there's also the spirit of the game.

An example is ducking, shrugging the tackle so you can get caught high. Was that against the rules? No. But I didn't like it anyway. It wasn't in the spirit of the game. Just because you don't get pinged for it doesn't mean it's necessarily right.

Much like the bump rule. People are saying "oh he's gone based on the new bump ruling this season", you know what? I don't care about what the decision is based on this season's system. Because it's a crock of s**t. I just want to know if it's right or wrong based on the spirit of the game.

Salty Malty has been bloody embarrassing on Footy Classified tonight
Agree. Only got to watch this evening....
Looks thin, haggard and ill too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back