List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if they have changed the rules, from what i understand, they haven't but how the hell is Buddt Franklin worth pick 19 and McKay worth pick 3, it's crazy.
Wasn't it due to Hawks ladder position?

'CEO Stuart Fox said the Club understands the AFL's rules.

“We understand there are rules around free agency compensation, however we believe it is inequitable that compensation is linked to ladder position," he said.

Given the extraordinary circumstances of Franklin’s departure the Club made a submission to the AFL for special consideration, but was today advised it was unsuccessful.'

I remember that we were looking at him the year the Saints grabbed him. Pulled out of the race when we heard crazy Gubby was throwing a $600k contract at him.
Reckon crazy Gubby (lol at the nickname btw) would hold the record for most $$ spent per day as GM footy in history?

If we're getting anyone from the aints, make it Highmore.

He's a nice intercepter, but his 1v1 defensive skills are lacking as is his decision making on when to stick to his man and when to go, which iirc is why he fell out of favour at St Kilda despite some rather gaudy intercept possession totals in a few games.

I'm fully aware of the current guidelines the committee operates under, including that vague discretionary power to "review" the outcome of any FA compensation produced by the formula and have been since that info was released.

You're still drawing a long bow to claim that Buddy leaving the premiers now would get them pick 1 automatically because it's not the case, indeed FA compo designed to benefit struggling clubs that lose their good players more. With specific reference to the Buddy situation it would more likely be a case of "suck it up you just won the flag we're not giving the team that just won the GF pick 1 over teams struggling down the bottom of the ladder".
Pretty sure that someone from the AFL has flat out said at one point that the Buddy compo would be done differently if it happened these days. They might not give pick 1 for that specific situation, but it would certainly have been a better pick than 18 (and Hawthorn were runners up that year, not premiers).

I'm fully aware of the current guidelines the committee operates under, including that vague discretionary power to "review" the outcome of any FA compensation produced by the formula and have been since that info was released.

You're still drawing a long bow to claim that Buddy leaving the premiers now would get them pick 1 automatically because it's not the case, indeed FA compo designed to benefit struggling clubs that lose their good players more. With specific reference to the Buddy situation it would more likely be a case of "suck it up you just won the flag we're not giving the team that just won the GF pick 1 over teams struggling down the bottom of the ladder".
100%.

Sick of everyone comparing FA players and associated picks.

afl is fully committed to equalisation….that’s their main focus of the draft/fa/academies etc.

Pretty sure that someone from the AFL has flat out said at one point that the Buddy compo would be done differently if it happened these days. They might not give pick 1 for that specific situation, but it would certainly have been a better pick than 18 (and Hawthorn were runners up that year, not premiers).
Maybe this is the AFL's way of making it up to Clarko. Giving North absolutely everything. 😆

Imagine anyone believing anything on a page that posts something like that

4f460327bf014f9cbd07d3646102fcea68139250.gifv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if they have changed the rules, from what i understand, they haven't but how the hell is Buddt Franklin worth pick 19 and McKay worth pick 3, it's crazy.

Link to the afl page posted above. Salient point is the last paragraph included here as well.

Not sure why McKay is relevant. Essendon dictated he get pick 3 by length of contract and salary. It’s completely in accordance with the 5 compo levels.

Attachments

• IMG_1039.png
    IMG_1039.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
If we can't snag a JUH or Ben King, over the next 12 months, we need to put a sh#te load of work into convincing this kid to join the B&W over the next couple of years.

Might want re-check that one...

1697105524879.png

p.s. isn't it frickin great to see that line at the top again...

Back on topic, I don't recall anyone from the AFL saying anything of the sort either back then or in the years since, if anything they have gone to almost painful lengths to keep discussion around the committee's "discretionary powers" as vague as possible, with their focus being much more on manipulation of the draft that follows. A lot of press and some club noise about it yes, but nothing specific from the AFL.

Might want re-check that one...

View attachment 1829791

p.s. isn't it frickin great to see that line at the top again...

Back on topic, I don't recall anyone from the AFL saying anything of the sort either back then or in the years since, if anything they have gone to almost painful lengths to keep discussion around the committee's "discretionary powers" as vague as possible, with their focus being much more on manipulation of the draft that follows. A lot of press and some club noise about it yes, but nothing specific from the AFL.
The only relevant comparison was GAJ to GC….what did cats get?

They finished pretty high up that year……pick 1? ;)

My exact words were “they’d likely get pick 1”. Nothing certain or automatic in that. It’d come down to what the panel recommends, but 1 thing I am sure of is that it would be way better than pick 18. The tenure and salary would demand it just as they justified the changes to the rule.

My exact words were “they’d likely get pick 1”. Nothing certain or automatic in that. It’d come down to what the panel recommends, but 1 thing I am sure of is that it would be way better than pick 18. The tenure and salary would demand it just as they justified the changes to the rule.
Length isn’t factored in.
The only things considered are age and avg. income for the contract….no matter how many years it is.

Also, interesting side note (and this is more a question), the last part of the rules say the committee can intervene….but are they allowed to recommend anything outside the bands? Or are they constrained to work within the bands, but flag things where they think it’s wrong.

I wouldn’t think so that would be petty. Hopefully it was more based around playing more midfield before the end of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Midfield, yes. But let's not pretend this wasn't a financial decision for Adams above anything else. 2.4 mil for 3 years versus maybe 1-2 500k contracts at the pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back