List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other factor is Frampton's role was something he hadn't done all season & it was a stop gap because we lost McStay.
Imagine Fly saying to him " you're playing in the granny, Billy, and this is what you'll be doing."
I think whatever he is asked to do, he'll have a red hot crack.
He's not a star, but he did some good odd job work this year.
Frampton barely touched the ball and failed to register a score. He was there purely as a negator, a blanket, a role which he played quite effectively for 3 quarters before Andrews cut loose on him. CHF is not a role he is going to succeed in week after week. Someone with genuine tall skills and presence needs to step up to provide a forward target.

Nor is Mihochek going to fill the hole left by McStay. He doesn't do enough overhead anymore and seems more adept at ground level and kicking clutch goals than providing a competitive presence as a key forward. AJ or Kreuger are the two players most likely to succeed in the MS role.
Weird take on Checkers but ok. Regardless, he couldn’t fill the void because he’s already in the team playing his own role.

Frampton barely touched the ball and failed to register a score. He was there purely as a negator, a blanket, a role which he played quite effectively for 3 quarters before Andrews cut loose on him. CHF is not a role he is going to succeed in week after week. Someone with genuine tall skills and presence needs to step up to provide a forward target.
I agree with you - he's not a forward, he's primarily a back who can pinch hit in the ruck.
He's done both pretty well - remember the job he did on Tom Lynch?
If he played his GF role every week, he would be rendered ineffective and compromise our scoring power.

Weird take on Checkers but ok. Regardless, he couldn’t fill the void because he’s already in the team playing his own role.
I am just saying he doesn't have the height to play the key forward role which is why we traded for McStay. Mihochek is a far better player when not required to be the number one forward target - we have known that for a long time and sought to shield him from having to play a KPP role. Mihochek is a far better player when someone else plays tall beside him, and is otherwise a quiet player when required to play on the KPD gorillas who tend to dominate him. It's not a criticism of him but simply a realistic assessment of the circumstances in which he best contributes to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McStay going down is horrible, but I'd be pulling Ash Johnson aside and saying, "we're parking you at CHF, that forward 50 is yours, make it count".
Bringing in a DFA or repositioning a player as insurance would be ideal.
Sofranidis, Teakle and Eyre will end up on our list I reckon. Big bodied players who know the system a little bit, adding a little something through the spine.

If Blair was 2 feet taller he'd be a 7'8 monstrosity and probably kick 300 goals a year
He'd kick 500 goals.

Always the pessimist.

McStay going down is horrible, but I'd be pulling Ash Johnson aside and saying, "we're parking you at CHF, that forward 50 is yours, make it count".
Bringing in a DFA or repositioning a player as insurance would be ideal.
Sofranidis, Teakle and Eyre will end up on our list I reckon. Big bodied players who know the system a little bit, adding a little something through the spine.
They didn’t do that all year, they ain’t about to start now. He doesn’t have a CHF presence, he doesn’t tackle hard he’s a third target type forward. I’d be more inclined to play him deep and use his pace. We still desperately need a second player to contest in the air and take some contested marks. McStay has a vice like grip.

They didn’t do that all year, they ain’t about to start now. He doesn’t have a CHF presence, he doesn’t tackle hard he’s a third target type forward. I’d be more inclined to play him deep and use his pace. We still desperately need a second player to contest in the air and take some contested marks. McStay has a vice like grip.
We don't have another McStay but someone will have to attempt to play his role. There are only 2 realistic options - Johnson and Kreuger. If neither are good enough, the season may be a challenging one for all of us.

Not sure I’d say Vice like grip, reckon he dropped sitters in almost every game he played this year.
It was almost like Frampton was emulating him in the GF!
Though Dan would’ve held onto 1 and kicked a goal I’m sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could see Cox playing more of a forward role again to cover for McStay.
This is the thing, our ruckman command a tall back. Cox requires more if the ball is kicked to advantage. I think rather than having one on the bench for most of the game we have them rotate through FF as they’re resting from ruck duties.

Still my preference is for Krueger to come and stay fit. I feel like he and Murphy would benefit from a self preservation course.

This is the thing, our ruckman command a tall back. Cox requires more if the ball is kicked to advantage. I think rather than having one on the bench for most of the game we have them rotate through FF as they’re resting from ruck duties.

Still my preference is for Krueger to come and stay fit. I feel like he and Murphy would benefit from a self preservation course.
Yeah, Cox and Cameron will normally rotate to up forward.
They do not sit on the bench for most of the game.
Krueger next in line after Frampton and Ash Johnson.
Murphy hopefully ok to go.

Yeah, Cox and Cameron will normally rotate to up forward.
They do not sit on the bench for most of the game.
Krueger next in line after Frampton and Ash Johnson.
Murphy hopefully ok to go.

Both Cameron, and Cox even more so, spend huge amounts of time on the bench. Go look at their ToG%.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it appears that there's no really certain solution to the McStay dillemma as of yet.
Soooo, I'm raising the stakes on my training loads & throwing my hat in the ring.
Sure, I've never kicked more than 4 in a game, & yes, I haven't played in about 40 years, but I really want us to go back to back at least once in my lifetime, so I only ordered veggies on my Sunday night pizza with just one garlic bread.
I believe I may be the missing link.
But to what? I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back