Preview Collingwood v Port Adelaide, 25 March, 1.45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And there you go -- in the preview last week, I suggested there were lots of questions to be answered about the Mighty Magpies. The game against Geelong has answered almost all of them. Our clearance work is better thanks to Mitchell. Bobby Hill will make an impact. Our game plan holds up and is well suited to our players, and it holds up even under severe pressure. Jordan DeGoey is likely to to rise to his talent level and dominate the competition. Most importantly -- we are one of the best teams in the comp. Yes, yes, it's only one game in a long season, but it was enough evidence for me. Let's bask in the glory a little.

Still, there was one huge downer during the stellar night. The greatest mark the game has seen, Jeremy Howe, flew kamikaze-style into a spoil. He shot through the air horizontally, like a missile, and when he crashed do the ground he shattered his arm. This is a heavy blow. Howe has defied age. He leaps like a cat, he possesses incredible pace, he intercepts to start shredding counterattacks with his two-sided elite disposal. He helps organise us with his onfield leadership. We can only hope he's back before too long.

Which means.... step up Billy Frampton (sorry Kelly, I've given up on you for the moment). Murphy takes Howe's more intercepting role and Frampton takes Murphy's more lockdown one.

We still have enviable depth which will hold us in good stead for a while yet.

Opponents: The Power

The Power are a strange team. A newcomer to the competition, there's no traditional hate between us. I don't harbour long-held vendettas against them for rodent-like, deceitful, morally repugnant, behaviour (yes Carlton, I'm pointing the bone at you). But they do seem to possess some odious personalities. Kane Cornes is a professional stirrer, a kind of shock jock of football, minus the politics. I hated him as a player, but now he's more like an annoyance, the buzzing of a mosquito in my ear at night. And their President, the loathsome, middle-brow, out-of-touch, egotistical Koshi.? A morning TV presenter as President? I feel sorry for Port's coach.

What about the current team? They have a great interceptor in Alir, a good key forward in Dixon, wild-cards in Georgiades and Rioli, some inside bulls in Wines and Powell-Pepper, some elite young talent with Butters, Rozee and Horne-Francis. They were excellent at home against a highly-touted Brisbane, doing the Lions down and by doing so, proving their upper level is elite. And yet, and yet, I still don't quite know what they are. I suppose another way of looking at it is that they're pretty good at everything. They look like they'll be battling with a bunch of teams for a top-four spot.

This game then is going to ask a few more questions of us: Will McStay actually be the player we hope? He was great in the pre-season but his performance against Geelong was disappointing. Will the Cox/Cameron duo continue to fight the good fight? They were solid against Geelong but here they should be better, before the real tests come. How will the backline go without Howe? Will our better clearance work hold steady?

The Washup

The game's at the MCG, we're in stellar form, and the Power are surging but can we trust them? About as much as we can trust Kreepy Koshi and Shock-Jock Kane.

The Pies by 13 points!

A wonderful victory! God, but it was wonderful to be part of the mightiest army on the face of the planet again!

The biggest disappointment for mine wasn't WHE; it was IQ; he seemed pretty ineffectual throughout, especially given the preseason hype around his improved physique and fitness. Not sure what to do about this, though. Any ideas?
One game in? Seriously? Do you expect every player to get 25 touches and feature in magical passages of play in order to prove they are not going backwards or in danger of being dropped ?

Just had a quick look at the Pear team.

- They only have 1 KPD in Allir Allir. McKenzie & Jonas are undersized for KPD. So we should expect McStay & Mihocek to have much better games.

- Actually a great game for Frampton to be playing. Dixon’s the type of forward he should be able to tamed. The lead and strong marking defender. Hopefully with Moore being the extra man.

- Georgiades & Marshall should hopefully be contained by Moore & Murphy.

- Lycett seems to be their only ruck with Dixon (?) proving a chop out. So hopefully Cox and Cameron expose him.

- Port have a great midfield. This is where the game will get decided.

A wonderful victory! God, but it was wonderful to be part of the mightiest army on the face of the planet again!

The biggest disappointment for mine wasn't WHE; it was IQ; he seemed pretty ineffectual throughout, especially given the preseason hype around his improved physique and fitness. Not sure what to do about this, though. Any ideas?
My idea is that you are incorrect.

WHE was poor to start, but thought he worked into the game. I didn't think Sidebottom was as bad as others, but he isn't going to be dropped either way. Howe the obvious out, but I'm not convinced Frampton is a straight swap. I wouldn't be surprised to see Markov come in for Howe, think the speed and flexibility of the backline suits Markov more than Frampton who probably seems more a replacement for someone like Moore.

Sidebottom would want to improve on that performance.

Out: Howe, WHE
In: Frampton, Reef

WHE the sub.
I thought I was the only one re Sidebottom! He’s never that fumbly and poor defensively. This is the way I’d go, but would absolutely understand the coaching group sticking with WHE because I don’t think McInnes covers the ground as well.

I thought I was the only one re Sidebottom! He’s never that fumbly and poor defensively. This is the way I’d go, but would absolutely understand the coaching group sticking with WHE because I don’t think McInnes covers the ground as well.
Sidebottom was terrible
Hopefully just rusty because there is a lot of selection pressure this year

I think given McInnes’s pre season performances, the internal hype surrounding it and his impact when coming on as a sub he has to to be rewarded with a spot in the 22 although will understand if they go WHE.

WHE and Sidebottom won’t get dropped so forget that

By all reports AJ playing well in the 2’s at the moment and another option up forward to roll players through, also maybe give the rucks a chip out ?

Maybe AJ, Carmichael & Frampton for Howe, McCreery and someone else

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The win has papered over just how bad WHE was (especially in the first half).

If you told me he gave the ball back to Geelong with 8 of his first 10 touches I'd believe you.

Just as the injury to Lipinski probably stopped him being relegated to the sub role last night the injury to Howe and the loss of experience that means might save his bacon again.

While yes McInnes doesn't have the same capacity at this stage to work both ends of the ground like WHE, he didn't look overawed last night in the end he can occupy either, he played with intent and outside the poster made the most of his chances.

Compare that to WHE who made a mess of a lot his opportunities across the field then it would be an easy decision to make on who should be the sub if we based it purely on this one game.

McRae is unlikely to base his decision on just the one game however, though it's hard to deny that McInnes didn't back up all the positivity surrounding him over the preseason.

WHE and Sidebottom won’t get dropped so forget that

By all reports AJ playing well in the 2’s at the moment and another option up forward to roll players through, also maybe give the rucks a chip out ?

Maybe AJ, Carmichael & Frampton for Howe, McCreery and someone else

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Huh. He had 20 disposals and 2 goals.

WHE Murphy and Quaynor all had disappointing games. Our defence was an absolute shambles the first 3 quarters.

WHE the first to get dropped as his 1st quarter was absolutely embarrassing with how hard he panicked when the heat was on.

In: Frampton Mcinnes

Out: WHE Howe

WHE Murphy and Quaynor all had disappointing games. Our defence was an absolute shambles the first 3 quarters.

WHE the first to get dropped as his 1st quarter was absolutely embarrassing with how hard he panicked when the heat was on.

In: Frampton Mcinnes

Out: WHE Howe
Murphy was superb in the second half. He left his man countless times to spoil, was masterful to watch live. Far from disappointing.

Last edited:
Murphy was superb in the second half. The left his man countless times to spoil, was masterful to watch live. Far from disappointing.

The first 3 quarters he was a headless chook. a couple of spoils does not make a good game. A couple of times he left his man to spoil and didnt impact the contest at all, just got lucky the ball didn't fall Geelong's way. He is slow by foot meaning Geelong were able to get goal side of him a lot and score easy goals. I'm not saying drop him but it's not a game the club would be celebrating.

0 contested marks, 2 frees against, 1 contested possession and our defence was a leaky sieve for 3/4 of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back