Game Day Collingwood V West Coast OS Saturday 3 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
After I finished high school, I hitchhiked to Perth on a whim. Along the Nullarbor - which was long, slow, endless, tedious - I counted 28 dead kangaroos by the side of the road. We added one to the list last week.

I ended up staying in Perth for four years and in those days it was a one-team town. Every toothless, feral, offensive, racist, malodorous bogan was a West Coast fan. Every suited, short back and sides, narcissistic, corporate mining/banking executive was a West Coast fan. I thought I'd never hate a team or a fan base as much as I hated Carlton, but for those long four years I learned that there was one team and its fan base that could challenge -- and that was the malignant corporate club (members have no say, it's management dominated from what I understand) West Coast. If Carlton are the Hitlers of the competition, West Coast are the Stalins.

What's more, that block of Maynard in 2018 that gifted them the premiership will not be forgotten.

Luckily, they are in the worst state of their existence and that makes me sleep well at night.

Their team is an injury-wracked shadow, and really there's not much to say about it. They offer no threat.

The Mighty Magpies

We can only beat ourselves this week. So complacency is our main opponent. We'll miss Sidebottom but if all goes well he'll be back about a month before finals. Elliot has a shoulder concern and that doesn't surprise me. We need to get that right before he returns. So the questions are about what the team looks like.

One option would be to bring in a player who can replace Sidebottom and play his role rather than shifting others around (like Bobby Hill or WHE, who can still have a run there but I prefer as high half forwards). That means Bianco or Kelly, though their form in the VFL hasn't exactly demanded attention (Bianco's last game notwithstanding).

The other would be to bring in Carmichael or Macrae to play in the centre and shift the magnets around a little. Say, Carmichael plays centre and half-forward while Bobby Hill plays more on the wing.

The most likely is that WHE will start on the ground and the wing replacing Sidebottom and some variation of the above will occur.

If we hadn't had any injuries, I'd have managed one of our elder statesmen, but McRae was indicated there will be no resting players so expect no extra changes.

The Washup

The Pies by 73 points in football's version of a long slow drive across the Nullarbor

Last edited:
Winning by 73 points should be an insult to Collingwood. But knowing us, we’ll muck around, overuse the ball, be too cute, give WC a sniff, and then wake from our slumber with 10 minutes to go and win by 24 points.

Winning by 73 points should be an insult to Collingwood. But knowing us, we’ll muck around, overuse the ball, be too cute, give WC a sniff, and then wake from our slumber with 10 minutes to go and win by 24 points.

I felt that way last week. Could have been 2 or 3 times the margin.

Those who havent lived in the West wont understand the feeling that a Pie supporter - in fact any non-beagle supporter - has towards the beagles. I used to go to matches and barrack for the opposition. I actually remember shouting out my support for the Swans and being told to go back to sydney, Wally Lewis......which is, in itself, a curious indication of their overall sporting knowledge.

The reason was at the time, everyone was assumed to support the beagles. Work functions assumed that you barracked for the beagles. Toilets were decorated with beagles stuff. Places were sombre after losses .....or they were delirious after wins. In conversations, you were assumed to be a beagles supporter.

You can understand that all of this is pretty annoying.

Their fanbase is wide as the Fin said, but I've found that a significant portion of it consists of two types.

Pommies who caught the ship for an easy life in some decent weather. A huge proportion of the population came over for work in various mining companies or to be coppers or prison guards. They still struggle with the rules. Their passion for the beagles is significantly less than their hate for the eastern staters......"over east" litters their conversations. They effectively invented the free kick for deliberate out of bounds, having found out that the AFL had a seldom used rule on the matter. THe beagle fans scream it far more than anything about holding the ball.

The other type consists of old codgers.....and they're getting older. Post covid, they are becoming less likely to go to games and have started to give their seats to their children and grand children.

I was once at a pies beagles game sitting next to an old woman who repeatedly and I mean repeatedly said, "come on eagles"....repeatedly, constantly. I started mimmicking her to relieve the tension. We competed all game. I was admonished by patrons when we vacated after the game. I did it in a light hearted manner but there is no humour in them. I was supposed to endure her harassment for the whole game and sit there meekly.

The situation has been addressed with the introduction of the dogturds, who are largely fans for that area. The assumption that you are a beagles supporter is no longer the case. It has been widened to a beagles-dogturds matter. They are supposed to be arch enemies. Maybe they competed for drugs at the hippy club....who cares anyway.

A win is a must. I have spent nearly $400 on a couple of cushioned seats so i can sit with the mining people who never pay for seats. One note on the stadium. THe people of WA spent $2billion on a structure to give the elite of the city a suitable place to spend their weekends. The difference between the seats behind the goals at this stadium and the ones at subi, are minimal. The subi stands were relatively new, and the new stadium delivered zero extra seats for fans of other clubs. The ironic reason that I could buy such good seats at short notice is purely because the beagles are so crap. A win win win....

Those who havent lived in the West wont understand the feeling that a Pie supporter - in fact any non-beagle supporter - has towards the beagles. I used to go to matches and barrack for the opposition. I actually remember shouting out my support for the Swans and being told to go back to sydney, Wally Lewis......which is, in itself, a curious indication of their overall sporting knowledge.

The reason was at the time, everyone was assumed to support the beagles. Work functions assumed that you barracked for the beagles. Toilets were decorated with beagles stuff. Places were sombre after losses .....or they were delirious after wins. In conversations, you were assumed to be a beagles supporter.

You can understand that all of this is pretty annoying.

Their fanbase is wide as the Fin said, but I've found that a significant portion of it consists of two types.

Pommies who caught the ship for an easy life in some decent weather. A huge proportion of the population came over for work in various mining companies or to be coppers or prison guards. They still struggle with the rules. Their passion for the beagles is significantly less than their hate for the eastern staters......"over east" litters their conversations. They effectively invented the free kick for deliberate out of bounds, having found out that the AFL had a seldom used rule on the matter. THe beagle fans scream it far more than anything about holding the ball.

The other type consists of old codgers.....and they're getting older. Post covid, they are becoming less likely to go to games and have started to give their seats to their children and grand children.

I was once at a pies beagles game sitting next to an old woman who repeatedly and I mean repeatedly said, "come on eagles"....repeatedly, constantly. I started mimmicking her to relieve the tension. We competed all game. I was admonished by patrons when we vacated after the game. I did it in a light hearted manner but there is no humour in them. I was supposed to endure her harassment for the whole game and sit there meekly.

The situation has been addressed with the introduction of the dogturds, who are largely fans for that area. The assumption that you are a beagles supporter is no longer the case. It has been widened to a beagles-dogturds matter. They are supposed to be arch enemies. Maybe they competed for drugs at the hippy club....who cares anyway.

A win is a must. I have spent nearly $400 on a couple of cushioned seats so i can sit with the mining people who never pay for seats. One note on the stadium. THe people of WA spent $2billion on a structure to give the elite of the city a suitable place to spend their weekends. The difference between the seats behind the goals at this stadium and the ones at subi, are minimal. The subi stands were relatively new, and the new stadium delivered zero extra seats for fans of other clubs. The ironic reason that I could buy such good seats at short notice is purely because the beagles are so crap. A win win win....
Pies paying $1.03. You should put $13,333 on them for the win. Seats paid for.

The last quarter against the roadkill last week seemed like a bit of jogging around punctuated by the occasional goal, just to reinforce the extremely unlikely chance of a Roos win. The same as we did with the scum the previous week.
Sort of like a cat playing with a mouse before delivering the coup de grace.
Will we see another game like that this week?
Or will it be more like the games against Port and GWS?
I'm hoping for the latter.

After I finished high school, I hitchhiked to Perth on a whim. Along the Nullarbor - which was long, slow, endless, tedious - I counted 28 dead kangaroos by the side of the road. We added one to the list last week.

I ended up staying in Perth for four years and in those days it was a one-team town. Every toothless, feral, offensive, racist, malodorous bogan was a West Coast fan. Every suited, short back and sides, narcissistic, corporate mining/banking executive was a West Coast fan. I thought I'd never hate a team or a fan base as much as I hated Carlton, but for those long four years I learned that there was one team and its fan base that could challenge -- and that was the malignant corporate club (members have no say, it's management dominated from what I understand) West Coast. If Carlton are the Hitlers of the competition, West Coast are the Stalins.

What's more, that push in the back to Maynard in 2018 that gifted them the premiership will not be forgotten.

Luckily, they are in the worst state of their existence and that makes me sleep well at night.

Their team is an injury-wracked shadow, and really there's not much to say about it. They offer no threat.

The Mighty Magpies

We can only beat ourselves this week. So complacency is our main opponent. We'll miss Sidebottom but if all goes well he'll be back about a month before finals. Elliot has a shoulder concern and that doesn't surprise me. We need to get that right before he returns. So the questions are about what the team looks like.

One option would be to bring in a player who can replace Sidebottom and play his role rather than shifting others around (like Bobby Hill or WHE, who can still have a run there but I prefer as high half forwards). That means Bianco or Kelly, though their form in the VFL hasn't exactly demanded attention (Bianco's last game notwithstanding).

The other would be to bring in Carmichael or Macrae to play in the centre and shift the magnets around a little. Say, Carmichael plays centre and half-forward while Bobby Hill plays more on the wing.

The most likely is that WHE will start on the ground and the wing replacing Sidebottom and some variation of the above will occur.

If we hadn't had any injuries, I'd have managed one of our elder statesmen, but McRae was indicated there will be no resting players so expect no extra changes.

The Washup

The Pies by 73 points in football's version of a long slow drive across the Nullarbor
Great writeup. Heading to the wild west to play WC at Optus. Our last win there was that '20 EF in which we were branded "dirty" by The West Australian during that week.

I’d love to bury the Weagles this weekend especially as the ghost of Dom Sheed still looms large.

However, I see this game as a box ticking exercise. Just get the 4 points, walk away unscathed, fit and ready for the corksniffers on King’s Birthday.

Last year proved points are more important than percentage. And those 4 points the Weagles pinched off us last season would’ve been handy.

Confident we can get it done with a few out.

In saying that, Pies by 102 in Simmo’s last game as Eagles coach.

#coachkiller#payback#seeya

I’d love to bury the Weagles this weekend especially as the ghost of Dom Sheed still looms large.

However, I see this game as a box ticking exercise. Just get the 4 points, walk away unscathed, fit and ready for the corksniffers on King’s Birthday.

Last year proved points are more important than percentage. And those 4 points the Weagles pinched off us last season would’ve been handy.

Confident we can get it done with a few out.

In saying that, Pies by 102 in Simmo’s last game as Eagles coach.

#coachkiller#payback#seeya
sheed playing game 150

Pies paying $1.03. You should put $13,333 on them for the win. Seats paid for.

wipey, that's a practical course of action for a man who is in a profession which can clear that amount of money for a morning's work representing a drug dealer or child molester, but i'm a simple man and this is my entertainment allowance for the next 5 years...

and besides, i never bet on the pies. I bet against them in 2010 and got my money back so that i could bet against them the following week and secure the win. I didnt receive a life membership from the club for my efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One small amendment Finnishpie it was Willie Rioli putting an illegal block on Maynard that wasn't called, he didn't get a push in the back. Sigh. It was really painful to watch that again.

I'm happy for him but I'm still yet to be sold on how exactly he's earned the debut off current form relative to players like Fin, Carmichael or Bianco?

He had 9 touches and a behind last weekend. Happy for someone to educate me.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The game before that he had 20 possessions and three goals.

I'm happy for him but I'm still yet to be sold on how exactly he's earned the debut off current form relative to players like Fin, Carmichael or Bianco?

Maybe they think he's more of a Billy Elliott replacement than those others you mentioned?

Last edited:

IMO it's because he's that small/medium forward type which Macrae, Carmichael and Bianco are not.

If Richard's was fit and firing, he'd probably be in line for a similar spot.

If McInnes hadn't hyper-extended his knee on Sunday I suspect he'd have been considered as well (assuming he's not in the 23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back