Game Day Round 13: Collingwood V Melbourne, 12 June, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ah Melbourne, rattling their Volvo keys, drifting around the top end of Collins street, wishing they hadn't squandered last year the way
I squandered opportunities with girls when I was a teenager. Timidity gets you nowhere, young Finn. Be decisive! Take the lead!

Battle of the Mids

This is one of the games I've been waiting for. Yeah sure, there's the Grundy thing hanging around. But that's not it. It's the battle of the midfields overall that for me is the real test. That includes Grundy/Gawn but it's also about Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca and Jack Viney and their wingers versus our wingers.

This is the first week in a while where -- with De Goey out -- I feel like we might just be bested. They are probably going to be harder than us now, even with Oliver out. Let's measure it:

Viney = Mitchelll
Petracca is harder inside than N Daicos/Pendlebury
Brayshaw (assuming he plays) is harder than Crisp
Grundy/Gawn are harder than our rucks.
Hunter = Adams

But we get them with pace and class.

So we get them on the outside, they get us on the inside. We have more run, skill, pace. They are hard nuts. We are class. They are battering rams. With De Goey we'd do them down easily. Without him it's a closer to even.

Forwards V Backs

Our defence has it over their forwards. Their forward line, frankly, ain't all that. Moore will dominate. Fristch and Kozzie Pickett will test us a touch but Quaynor, Maynard and others will handle that with aplomb.

Our forwards roughly match up equally with their defence. May and Lever are quality but we have it over them with the smalls -- assuming we don't lose too many of them (WHE, McReery, etc) and they're not playing hurt and they play to their ability (Ginnivan and Elliot).

The Washup

What's the washup then this week? It's gonna be a close one.

The Pies are gonna be decisive in the way young Finn wasn't as a teenager. We'll move forward without fear. We'll take things on and being decisive is crucial.

Pies by 9 points!

Ah Melbourne, rattling their Volvo keys, drifting around the top end of Collins street, wishing they hadn't squandered last year the way
I squandered opportunities with girls when I was a teenager. Timidity gets you nowhere, young Finn. Be decisive! Take the lead!

Battle of the Mids

This is one of the games I've been waiting for. Yeah sure, there's the Grundy thing hanging around. But that's not it. It's the battle of the midfields overall that for me is the real test. That includes Grundy/Gawn but it's also about Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca and Jack Viney and their wingers versus our wingers.

This is the first week in a while where -- with De Goey out -- I feel like we might just be bested. They are probably going to be harder than us now, even with Oliver out. Let's measure it:

Viney = Mitchelll
Petracca is harder inside than N Daicos/Pendlebury
Brayshaw (assuming he plays) is harder than Crisp
Grundy/Gawn are harder than our rucks.
Hunter = Adams

But we get them with pace and class.

So we get them on the outside, they get us on the inside. We have more run, skill, pace. They are hard nuts. We are class. They are battering rams. With De Goey we'd do them down easily. Without him it's a closer to even.

Forwards V Backs

Our defence has it over their forwards. Their forward line, frankly, ain't all that. Moore will dominate. Fristch and Kozzie Pickett will test us a touch but Quaynor, Maynard and others will handle that with aplomb.

Our forwards roughly match up equally with their defence. May and Lever are quality but we have it over them with the smalls -- assuming we don't lose too many of them (WHE, McReery, etc) and they're not playing hurt and they play to their ability (Ginnivan and Elliot).

The Washup

What's the washup then this week? It's gonna be a close one.

The Pies are gonna be decisive in the way young Finn wasn't as a teenager. We'll move forward without fear. We'll take things on and being decisive is crucial.

Pies by 9 points!
NIce read, although I think Taylor has HUnter covered in the hardness stakes.

In what world does Hunter = Adams? They are completely different players, Hunter is a wingman that never goes near a pack and Adams is an inside beast (forced to play HF atm), in terms of both hardness and playing style they are polar opposites and FWIW Adams is also a significantly better player.

I like Petracca and Oliver.

I don’t like Fritsch. Vanity and footballers don’t sit well together, especially when there’s this thing called ‘Maynard’ who has no regard for carefully coiffed hair. Fritsch will be very nervous.

Then there’s the Pie’s momentum, which is also scary. I’m starting to feel sorry for our opposition.

With all the s**t people are talking about Grundy this week, you just know he’s going to have a career best game against us…
Thank god he’s sharing the ruck load with Gawn! That period Gawn was out started to concern me because he’d recaptured his best, but the status quo returned as soon as Gawn came back in. I cannot believe Melbourne turned a strength into a breakeven because neither is as good as they were on their own.

I like Petracca and Oliver.

I don’t like Fritsch. Vanity and footballers don’t sit well together, especially when there’s this thing called ‘Maynard’ who has no regard for carefully coiffed hair. Fritsch will be very nervous.

Then there’s the Pie’s momentum, which is also scary. I’m starting to feel sorry for our opposition.
One of my all time favourite players used to strut in the Brown and Gold (thanks Kirby) before the Red & White and finally the Black & White.

Think had some vanity but could he play back in the day.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my all time favourite players used to strut in the Yellow and Gold before the Red & White and finally the Black & White.

Think had some vanity but could he play back in the day.
Yellow and gold?

In what world does Hunter = Adams? They are completely different players, Hunter is a wingman that never goes near a pack and Adams is an inside beast (forced to play HF atm), in terms of both hardness and playing style they are polar opposites and FWIW Adams is also a significantly better player.

I put that in just to see if you were paying attention...

Just when you thought we were done with all these Sunday games along comes the Kings Birthday round to truly kick us in the cods.

Are we likely to get a squad named tonight?

If we do how reliable will it even be given the injury and illness clouds presumably hanging over a couple still 3 days from the game.

Just when you thought we were done with all these Sunday games along comes the Kings Birthday round to truly kick us in the cods.

Are we likely to get a squad named tonight?

If we do how reliable will it even be given the injury and illness clouds presumably hanging over a couple still 3 days from the game.
I realise it’s a working day on Tuesday, but it’s a pretty big deal to be playing in this game.

I can’t wait to get back to the G!

Grundy never had any connection with our midst so expect Melbourne to win the centre clearances by a large margin.
But if he had no connection with our mids, what makes you think he's got connection with theirs? Not from what I've seen... we're a better chance of being on the end of his taps when he's the Dee's ruckman than when he was ours..

I like the idea of Bruzzy getting the Fritsch matchup and rebounding off him as he stops to watch the replay of himself getting mopped with on the screen.

Bruzzy is due for a real Bruzzy like performance this week. Has been flying under the radar but he's one who will be ready to let rip in the 2nd half of the season.

Fritsch, your number is up, champ.

Thank god he’s sharing the ruck load with Gawn! That period Gawn was out started to concern me because he’d recaptured his best, but the status quo returned as soon as Gawn came back in. I cannot believe Melbourne turned a strength into a breakeven because neither is as good as they were on their own.

This.

Goody and co must sit in selection each week thinking 'What the fcuk have we done?'... Bringing Grundy in has detracted Gawn's performance and even though he's this top bloke that is 'happy' to play forward, the reality is that he's ordinary at it.

We all know Grundy's game. Win lots of hitouts, that will often go to the oppo. Win ground balls but very poor in the air for a player that is 200cm and useless up forward.

I can see big DC wearing him down before big Cox explodes in the 2nd half to get us over the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back