Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not convinced their dominance at clearance changes with JDG and Oliver returning. While I’m hopeful we can even up contest as we did in the 2nd round late in round 21? last year, having added Mitchell, it’s the only strength I fear with Melb.which we must get neutralize.
Take that away from them and they’re shot IMO.
I think Lever and May, particularly when big Max is dropping back is an awesome defensive wall that makes them tough to beat.

I’m not convinced their dominance at clearance changes with JDG and Oliver returning. While I’m hopeful we can even up contest as we did in the 2nd round late in round 21? last year, having added Mitchell, it’s the only strength I fear with Melb.which we must get neutralize.
Take that away from them and they’re shot IMO.
I don't think we have to beat them at clearance, just get close and hopefully get some good clean clearances out the front like they did yesterday, or at least stop them from doing that, our backline can definitely stop their fwd line unless it's an avalanche and then we can get them on the spread with hopefully everyone fit, fingers crossed anyway 🤞

I don't think we have to beat them at clearance, just get close and hopefully get some good clean clearances out the front like they did yesterday, or at least stop them from doing that, our backline can definitely stop their fwd line unless it's an avalanche and then we can get them on the spread with hopefully everyone fit, fingers crossed anyway 🤞
They were a better team last year and the year before and we were nowhere now our current level and we countered it

They were a better team last year and the year before and we were nowhere now our current level and we countered it
That's what I'm getting at, I agree with you, their centre clearance and on ball unit in general is their main strength, ours is running and moving it quickly, we don't have to win the clearance, just not let them dominate it

I think Lever and May, particularly when big Max is dropping back is an awesome defensive wall that makes them tough to beat.
Agree, their defence has us covered as a unit with our weakish forward line. Our defenders are not good kicks which does not help matters in terms of our defence.

just need the ball at ground level.

That way the ball is in constant motion. I would love a few times to just kick a mongrel that cannot be marked and see how their defence coped.

i also thought yesterday that on many occasions they were given plenty of time to take their kick before being called to play on.

Agree, their defence has us covered as a unit with our weakish forward line. Our defenders are not good kicks which does not help matters in terms of our defence.
No Elliott, McStay and perhaps Ginni helped them.
Melbourne deserved the win either way.
Atrocious kicking by them.

-30 contested though

Yep and I don’t think it was because we weren’t getting hands on it (literally), but we couldn’t break a tackle and we couldn’t make one stick. Ask WHE, and he was trying his best!

Gawn collects Cameron from behind with a clear forearm to the back of the head ..Cameron needed to exaggerate the contact or preferably the ump needed to do his job!

Expecting umpires to do their job is just never going to work. Please be realistic.

True - but we stopped them taking any marks inside 50 in last years round 21 game. Keeping them to Zero I50 marks was a huge tactical win.

Just need to repeat that strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can find a spot for AJ.
People need to realise he’s the ultimate 3rd-4th banana.
With a fit McStay, Mihocek and the addition of Elliott, that’s when he’s a danger.
I want to see this combo before we start axing..
Krueger and Reef have tricks, but not the game awareness Ash has.
Was off today, but it happens..
Do the coaches see it that way though? He’s always been played as a key forward so far. ATM I don’t think AJ has the work rate for a third banana role.

Totally agree. I admit I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by Elliot this year but that’s mainly his set shot kicking.
I totally see how much he does around the ground. The pressure he applies is exceptional and it was missed.
Guaranteed Checkers missed having his sidekick, Billy down there with him too. He takes just as many bumps & knocks as Checkers does. And never stops chasing & tackling.

I hate max gawn toffy nob

A lot of their behinds we repeat behinds from kick-ins. Had they kicked some of those goals the ball goes back to the centre and the ground opens up.
This point keeps getting missed.

Melbourne were clearly the better team. No doubt. Saying they were a certain amount better because of their many missed shots though is not quite right. Missing shots helped them control the game as we struggled to exit from defence, resulting in repeat entries. It's quite possible they would have performed worse if they were more accurate, we simply don't know.

That'd actually be good news. We were sloppy yesterday, but the real concern was how much we were outnumbered around the contest. We were thoroughly outworked.
I thought we outnumbered them at key contests - between centre square and 50 arc - like we usually do. The problem was we lost too many of these contests or won but then turned it over.

This is how we defend. We leave free players inside the 50 to come up to the contest, trusting we'll win it and counter. When we lose that contest, or turn it over, we give up easy marks inside 50 as we did against Melbourne, Brisbane and to a lesser extent other teams.

It's a risk/reward decision that we make. With our style favouring that risk rather than safety. If an adjustment is needed it might be around how many players come up to the contest, or just taking more care to not turn it over.

Agree we were outnumbered forward and defence. Latter because of the way we defend as mentioned. Former due to not enough forward targets and stymied ball movement.

We did have a number of counter attack chances with an open forward line which we failed to capitalise on. Might be harsh, but I think our two inexperienced forwards might have hurt us there with positioning.

Our clawing random style did keep us closer than we seemingly deserved.

Stuff like Noble and Pendles turnovers happened because we went hard into the middle, and when it comes off it's so destructive. That's our gameplan.

Melbourne denied us the centre as much as they could, so going forward was about long leads down the wings where their height in defence was effective.

They got three goals out of Fritsch, not because he beat Moore but because they worked his chances better; more fast inside 50s out of the front of the square, more chances.

We played better in the last minutes, and defended superbly given how roundly we were beaten in the centre. We have the elements to beat quality heavy sides.

Fascinated to see what Fly foes differently and what ge doubles down on. Johnson produces so well vs slower more systematic sides, so I think he stays in but in finals where bodies get crunched he may be squeezed out. Poor guy was mangled.

Do the coaches see it that way though? He’s always been played as a key forward so far. ATM I don’t think AJ has the work rate for a third banana role.
i do wonder if he also was hit by the bug running thru the club.. He is a match winner when on form and Fly knows that. But he is a specific type of forward and you may remember some weeks back he was also the leading defensive forward - Fy actualy entioned in the presser.. So give him a break , we were beaten by a better team on the day .. only just... plenty of upside adn Iam sure the coaching group i s not panicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back