Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been suggested before, i'm not sure who by, but eventually we could look at having a worldwide structure where the leagues all take up different regions, eventually leading to a proper champions league.

So the NAFL obviously represents Australia and NZ

I'd be happy to scale the FIRA back to Europe only

craegus 's idea above could be for North America

Someone else runs an Asia/Africa comp.

Two run March-September, the other two run September-March

We could lower the amount of teams in each comp to get an even spread, but even then everyone could enter every comp if they wanted.

In June each year we have a Champions League knockout tournament, with the top 2 (or 4) from each top division entering the Champions League.

We'd then have an annual champion that we could petition to have a badge for etc.

It would take some planning and coordination but it could be done

It's been suggested before, i'm not sure who by, but eventually we could look at having a worldwide structure where the leagues all take up different regions, eventually leading to a proper champions league.

So the NAFL obviously represents Australia and NZ

I'd be happy to scale the FIRA back to Europe only

craegus 's idea above could be for North America

Someone else runs an Asia/Africa comp.

Two run March-September, the other two run September-March

We could lower the amount of teams in each comp to get an even spread, but even then everyone could enter every comp if they wanted.

In June each year we have a Champions League knockout tournament, with the top 2 (or 4) from each top division entering the Champions League.

We'd then have an annual champion that we could petition to have a badge for etc.

It would take some planning and coordination but it could be done
That sounds like my idea a while back. You could even use craegus's idea as the worldwide championship, and have another for North and South America, the FIRA for Europe, another for Asia/Africa and the NAFL for Oceania (allowing Papua New Guinea in). That way, those four divisions for into the diagram above

That sounds like my idea a while back. You could even use craegus's idea as the worldwide championship, and have another for North and South America, the FIRA for Europe, another for Asia/Africa and the NAFL for Oceania (allowing Papua New Guinea in). That way, those four divisions for into the diagram above

Could work, though I reckon my one would work well for just North America (as it is based on an existing North American format), then the FIRA for Europe, NAFL for Oceania, and competitions for Asia, Africa, and South America, which would allow a 6 team home/away world championship (possibly 2 divisions if we divide for skill levels) with the top 4 fighting out the finals to determine the overall winner.

Doing it this way could allow for some variance in competitions (different set ups/uniform combinations etc.) and for some more unique designs to appear in the Asia, Africa and South American competitions (as these ones would tend to allow for that due to the culture and designs that tend to appear from there in actual real life competitions), and have a slightly more conservative North American and Oceanian (with possibly some more out there designs), and a far more traditional European competition.

Anyone could then enter as many or as few of these as they wanted (within competition limits {if any exist}).

would people be able to change their designs between the original comp and the champions league.
could say, dylan8 be able to change what the adders are in the NAFL to what he put up not long ago on his new template with a slightly different design?

I guess the only issue is having 6 comps running is pretty full on. You'd need someone dedicated to each one.

Also, the other issue might be, given we're tripling the number of comps, would we maybe not bother with 2nd divisions?

You'd still want everyone to be able to enter, and if all the top division guys want to enter every competition, it doesn't leave a lot of room for people just starting out.

would people be able to change their designs between the original comp and the champions league.
could say, dylan8 be able to change what the adders are in the NAFL to what he put up not long ago on his new template with a slightly different design?

Yeah i'd definitely support this. Same club and colours but being able to update template and design. Especially given that some competitions might have ended 6-9 months before the Champions League starts

I would say that being a world championship competition that all teams could enter updated designs/templates. Doing so would keep the whole thing fresh as people wouldn't be seeing the exact same designs again (unless the creator wanted to keep them the same).

I guess the only issue is having 6 comps running is pretty full on. You'd need someone dedicated to each one.

Also, the other issue might be, given we're tripling the number of comps, would we maybe not bother with 2nd divisions?

You'd still want everyone to be able to enter, and if all the top division guys want to enter every competition, it doesn't leave a lot of room for people just starting out.

True but if staggered across the year and each round run on a short schedule, say 3 voting days max over 20-22 rounds including finals they could each be done within 2 months each and with a slight overlap we could have a true full time competition set up with the 6 geographic competitions running over 10-11 months and the world championship taking up the remaining.

The only toll it would take would be on those running them, but if all the senior members put in the load could be shared. As for the designers they would only be designing for a maximum of 6 teams, so they would not be overdesigning.

The problem with not having a second division is that the total number of entrants would have to be severely limited to keep the length of each competition down, and if all the top division designers wanted to enter then those newer people would keep missing out. having a second division or 2 conferences etc. allows for a larger competition but for shorter seasons (e.g. my one above has a maximum of 21 voting rounds and each team at least 16 match ups but allows for 32 entries).

I wouldn't ask competition runners to conform to a central idea too much really. I wouldn't change a thing about how the NAFL runs for example, it's perfect.

So basically we'd be looking at as many competitions as people were willing to run, but for the sake of a champions league, isolating them geographically.

If we assume a starting 3 of the NAFL, FIRA Europe and your North American league. We could have a champions league based on purely those 3 leagues.

Then if someone would like to start a new competition that would enter it's best teams into the champions league format, it would have to conform to a few conditions ie. not overlapping geographically with an existing Champions League league, starting and finishing at a suitable time so it doesn't overly clash with the existing leagues etc

I like the idea, but we've got too many competitions that are nearly exactly the same.

NAFL, FIRA, IFA etc. You all make a set of jumpers, and that's it for 6 months. It's starting to get very repetitive. I like to see new designs every round.

But that's just my opinion.

Could work, though I reckon my one would work well for just North America (as it is based on an existing North American format), then the FIRA for Europe, NAFL for Oceania, and competitions for Asia, Africa, and South America, which would allow a 6 team home/away world championship (possibly 2 divisions if we divide for skill levels) with the top 4 fighting out the finals to determine the overall winner.

Doing it this way could allow for some variance in competitions (different set ups/uniform combinations etc.) and for some more unique designs to appear in the Asia, Africa and South American competitions (as these ones would tend to allow for that due to the culture and designs that tend to appear from there in actual real life competitions), and have a slightly more conservative North American and Oceanian (with possibly some more out there designs), and a far more traditional European competition.

Anyone could then enter as many or as few of these as they wanted (within competition limits {if any exist}).
The NAFL, FIRA and the potential Asia Africa would be correct, but I think we need to combine the two American continents. We can limit the entries to half in North and half in South (potentially a North division and a South division). That way there isn't too many big season length competitions on the board. Having four comps and a World Champions season would work IMO. One comp every three months and the World Champions over the Christmas/ New Year break

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NAFL, FIRA and the potential Asia Africa would be correct, but I think we need to combine the two American continents. We can limit the entries to half in North and half in South (potentially a North division and a South division). That way there isn't too many big season length competitions on the board. Having four comps and a World Champions season would work IMO. One comp every three months and the World Champions over the Christmas/ New Year break

I can see where you are coming from, but I see North and South America as two very distinct regions. A USA and Canada competition would deliver a very different look and feel to a South and Central American competition, combining them both creates too much of a mix between potentially conservative simple designs up north with the possible flamboyant colourful designs down south (at least that is how I would design for each region).

I like the idea, but we've got too many competitions that are nearly exactly the same.

NAFL, FIRA, IFA etc. You all make a set of jumpers, and that's it for 6 months. It's starting to get very repetitive. I like to see new designs every round.

What about a preseason every now and then, or a "Masters" league where it's a wildcard season. Each week has a theme and designers come up with jumpers for those. It's similar to Designathon, but each keeps the theme of their team

This talk is all a bit too ambitious. Alternating FIRA/NAFL on and off is more than adequate. Maybe a play off between FIRA and NAFL winners mightbcool.

Ambition is a good thing to have, plus having more region specific competitions will force some designers to move away from their traditional comfort zones and design for a team from somewhere they may have never considered before.

What about a preseason every now and then, or a "Masters" league where it's a wildcard season. Each week has a theme and designers come up with jumpers for those. It's similar to Designathon, but each keeps the theme of their team

That is more for a OTW competition (which could easily start running again as long a some new ideas start appearing so that the same old don't just keep poping up), preseasons have been mooted but have rarely started pre the full season or have never eventuated.

so you're going to change the FIRA to Europe next season, or this Season?
if at all?

Next season, if this sort of thing goes ahead. FIRA will proceed as planned this year.

They're exactly the same in that they are league style competitions, but they are the most interesting competitions. This doesn't mean several different "Of the week" style comps can't be running at all times, it's just a cool way to link up a few league style competitions.

I think 4 comps or so is ideal, depending on how busy this board is, but I don't think saying "we need a competition in Africa, who will run it?" is the way to go. Let people start these competitions as they please (providing they have board support) and once we have a few champions, we can start a champions league based on the champions over the past year.

If someone wants to start a competition that they hope will provide teams to the champions league, they pick a region that is separate from the regions already covered, and go for it.

If craegus wants to stick to North America and leave South America, that's fine. South America is open for someone else if they want it. We don't really need to mandate that every region is covered for this sort of thing.

Ambition is a good thing to have, plus having more region specific competitions will force some designers to move away from their traditional comfort zones and design for a team from somewhere they may have never considered before.
I agree with this. Last NAFL, we had a team designed by a certain person and it was from their local area. They proceeded to design for this particular team for a long time. They've come a long way since then as theyve been shown that it's better to design for other areas and it allows them to learn and improve

They're exactly the same in that they are league style competitions, but they are the most interesting competitions. This doesn't mean several different "Of the week" style comps can't be running at all times, it's just a cool way to link up a few league style competitions.

I think 4 comps or so is ideal, depending on how busy this board is, but I don't think saying "we need a competition in Africa, who will run it?" is the way to go. Let people start these competitions as they please (providing they have board support) and once we have a few champions, we can start a champions league based on the champions over the past year.

If someone wants to start a competition that they hope will provide teams to the champions league, they pick a region that is separate from the regions already covered, and go for it.

I completely agree with all of this and would go with 6 maximum (one for each continent minus Antartica), 4 would probably be ideal, but would not be the set maximum. Reaching the maximum number would then lock these competition types unless one was to cease and then another could be added to replace it.

I agree with this. Last NAFL, we had a team designed by a certain person and it was from their local area. They proceeded to design for this particular team for a long time. They've come a long way since then as theyve been shown that it's better to design for other areas and it allows them to learn and improve

Exactly, I know I would design completely differently for a team from Europe/North America (more conservative, simple colours that are darker, simple designs with maybe some slight fancy elements) compared to one from Asia/Africa (which would have elements from that region, maybe new brighter colours that stand out).

Okay.

We're basically playing the long game here.

I'll be running FIRA as i've set out to for this season.

If craegus starts his North American league (kicking it off in say, June to stagger things nicely between FIRA/NAFL), i'll reduce FIRA to Europe only for next season.

If both of those things happen and all is well, we'll look at a Champions League setup starting at the conclusion of the 2016 FIRA season, so roughly September 2016.

Or so.

Alternatively, we could do one at the end of the North American League season and have that as the "4th" competition, with the calendar looking something like this:

tB2gKpA.png

This would mean we'd be looking at a Champions League a lot sooner, say by the end of 2015, but FIRA wouldn't be confined to Europe so you might have the Kakadu Crocs and the Pittsburgh Yellowjackets etc representing FIRA for the first year, with FIRA obviously reverting to Europe only the following year.

But it would work.

The Champions League would only have to be a knockout comp really. I'd suggest we'd initially look at 4 teams from each competition, divided into pools of 3 for the initial round of the CL, with 2 teams advancing, and straight 1 on 1 knockout from there on until we have a champion.

We could even petition for a badge for that champion.

Thoughts? craegus ideally you'd need matches starting in June, so you'd probably want teams set by early April at the latest. E92_ you've already brought this sort of thing up in a PM so i'm guessing you'd be in as well.

It looks like that IFA is probably done.

Isn't it funny how Haro's efforts made the rest of us think "I could run a competition better than this"

First me (in concert with dylan who was thinking the same thing), then craegus, now fizzler.

The upside is that we're at a really good spot in terms of setting ourselves up for a champions league with 3 new people keen to run league style comps.

Obviously the NAFL covers Australia and NZ.
craegus North America
The FIRA will become Europe only from next season
Fizzler with Africa/Asia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back