Scandal CONFIRMED - Fox obscures goal referral

Remove this Banner Ad

This really needs to be addressed by the AFL, should link it to all the journos so the AFL can issue an explanation

Has this blown up yet or is the machine turned up to 11?
Didn't happen against a 'big' enough team or in a big enough game. Should have been a huge issue that week, along with two other times when the umpires didn't go to the video review when they clearly should have in that game.

Amazingly they had no problems with the system, nor did they require multiple angles in the Dogs vs Pies game on Sunday either.

Jeeze that's bad. Should rename the thread though, pretty sure fox/seven just show the footage the reviewer chooses/uses?

Yeah, but who has the facilities to blur footage?? The broadcaster!

As much as I love the idea of a conspiracy theory, it doesn't really check out in that case. Fox has no control over the review, the reviewer, or what footage the reviewer chooses. If the AFL or the umpires or what have you decided to fudge up that review on purpose and edit the replay to make it look like it wasn't touched, they'd then have to go and send this edited footage to fox within a minute. probably even less. Or fox goes and edits it themselves for no gain whatsoever, apparently, within a remarkably short amount of time.

Unless I have completely misunderstood this thread, and the replay in question was the game replay itself, hours later, and not the replay directly after the review during the match. It just seems a bit far fetched, to me.

As much as I love the idea of a conspiracy theory, it doesn't really check out in that case. Fox has no control over the review, the reviewer, or what footage the reviewer chooses. If the AFL or the umpires or what have you decided to fudge up that review on purpose and edit the replay to make it look like it wasn't touched, they'd then have to go and send this edited footage to fox within a minute. probably even less. Or fox goes and edits it themselves for no gain whatsoever, apparently, within a remarkably short amount of time.

Unless I have completely misunderstood this thread, and the replay in question was the game replay itself, hours later, and not the replay directly after the review during the match. It just seems a bit far fetched, to me.

As far as I recall Replay "A" was done directly after the goal while the umps were discussing it, prompting myself watching to immediately say "touched lets get on with it". Then the official video review was done seconds later using replay "B". Personally i don't think its a conspiracy and done on purpose but the AFL still needs to address as to how it can happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PitifulSoftHedgehog.gif

A - Replay
B - Score Review
Here's the whole replay.

Last edited:
Nothing to see here.
Inconclusive. Goal was correct decision

Nope you can see the little finger flick back - but that's not the point of the thread. Fox are applying a motion blur effect to goal score review footage. Surely that is huge news?

Well, in cricket (that well-known 'gentlemen's game'), we also get the bowling team screaming their appeals for a wicket to be given, only to be turned down, then decide (usually wisely) not to review it. So...why were they appealing in the first place then? Why would Gilchrist (as a wicketkeeper) have gone up countless times when he would have known a batsman wasn't out?

Sport is full of hypocrisy, depending on where your allegiances lie.
My Pom senses are tingling.

I'm not usually one to go all umpire crazy but the games against Richmond and Collingwood were lol worthy.

It's so clear the AFL help Collingwood in particular, any way they quietly can.

That is unbelievable. It looks like they've dropped the frame rate (about 7 in A, 2 in B). WTF

Dropping the frame rate on recorded footage would just make it more jittery - not blurry. You might be thinking of shutter speed - but you can't change that on footage that has already been shot. It's definitely had some kind of effect added to it afterwards.

Dropping the frame rate on recorded footage would just make it more jittery - not blurry. You might be thinking of shutter speed - but you can't change that on footage that has already been shot. It's definitely had some kind of effect added to it afterwards.
Huh? It is more jittery. There's only 2 frames in replay B

Remove this Banner Ad

Back